ADVERTISEMENT

How does 2 B1G upsets sound for tonight

Would love for both to happen, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I think Penn State upsetting Iowa at home is more likely though.

Probably not the popular choice here, but I actually hope Indiana wins tonight. I'd rather they not be coming off a loss when we show up down there.
Fair point since we haven't had back to back losses this season. Although, I'd always take an IU loss

WOW, now THAT was a game ... in so many different ways. The FT differential with 5 left was incredible for PSU to be up.

IMO: this team will end up regretting the losses @Illinois and @Michigan more than the home loss to Iowa.

Again, just my $0.02, but those are the ones that knocked us out of the race.

Reactions: pboiler18
Disagree with Iowa losing tonight being a good thing. Our regular season ship has sailed folks. All this does is improve IU's chances.
This sounds like you're pulling more against IU than you are for Purdue... I think anytime a team ahead of you takes a step back, it's a good thing. As a result of their loss, Purdue is now only 2 games behind Iowa. Iowa's remaining games are:

Wisconsin... who just went into Maryland to get a W
@ OSU... road game against mid-tier team, 7th in B1G @ 9-5
Indiana...
@ Michigan... road game against mid-tier team, 6th in B1G @ 9-5

As crazy as it sounds, their easiest game left just might be Indiana at home... the team presently sitting atop the B1G. I can't really envision IU getting a W there, but it's probably not going to be a walk in the park for Iowa either.

Meanwhile, after IU, Purdue has Maryland, @ Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Based on how Purdue played at Wisconsin and at Maryland (save for the last 5 minutes) earlier in the year, I don't see any reason why those don't present opportunities for wins. And Nebraska has a worse home record this year than all but Minny, Rutgers, and Illinois. This is literally the best road game possible (since Purdue has already played at those other 3).

Guess my point is it's a little too early to be throwing in the towel. It's not like Purdue doesn't have an opportunity to draw the gap a little closer, even if they might need a little help from a few teams to close it all the way.

This sounds like you're pulling more against IU than you are for Purdue.
Nope. I'm just a pragmatist. Among IU, Maryland, and Iowa, at least one of those teams isn't going to have more than 4 losses. Doesn't make much difference to me whether we finish 4th, 5th, or 6th.
Also would rather see an Iowa win it outright than to have 3 teams win a piece of it in a year that we don't, which has everything to do with my Purdue fandom.

Last edited:
Not sure why you wanted Iowa to lose... chances are pretty good now that IU gets at least a share of the title. I don't think it helps us at all.

Posted this on the Scout forum, so I guess this is the best place to put it.

Assuming no "out there" victories of bottom tier teams over the top 8....
Purdue wins out, including victories against IU, Maryland, and Wisconsin. (13-5)
IU Loses to Purdue and Iowa, but beats Maryland (13-5)
Wisconsin beats MSU, Iowa, and Michigan, but loses to Purdue (13-5)
Iowa loses to Wisconsin, OSU, and Michigan, but beats IU (12-6)
Maryland Loses to Michigan, Purdue, and IU (12-6)
Michigan beats Maryland and Iowa but loses to Wisconsin (12-6)
OSU splits with MSU and beats Iowa (12-6)
MSU loses to Wisconsin, and splits with OSU (11-7)

Purdue, IU, and Wisconsin split the title, and Purdue gets the #1 seed.

OK, now let's go make this happen!

And for those complaining about this scenario where IU shares the title....Fine. If Maryland drops the game to Minnesota, then they can beat IU, leaving us and Wisconsin as the winners and we still get the #1 seed. I just wanted to keep this within the realm of reason...:cool:

Purdue wins out, including victories against IU, Maryland, and Wisconsin. (13-5)

And for those complaining about this scenario where IU shares the title....Fine. If Maryland drops the game to Minnesota, then they can beat IU, leaving us and Wisconsin as the winners and we still get the #1 seed. I just wanted to keep this within the realm of reason...:cool:
Michigan is not that good. I don't see them beating Maryland or Iowa. We should have beat them.

lloyd-300x300.jpg

I gotta hand it to you for keeping the faith!

Not sure why you wanted Iowa to lose... chances are pretty good now that IU gets at least a share of the title. I don't think it helps us at all.
Was this in response to my post? I wasn't saying I "wanted" Iowa to lose, just that I don't get the logic in not wanting to have every break you can get when playing for B1G standing/seeding. Not going to repeat my earlier post on scheduling, but I still think there is at least a reasonable chance Purdue could close the gap with (or even overtake) Iowa. Probably as good a chance to catch them as the other 2. Conversely, it sounds like you're saying you wanted Iowa to win just to hurt IU, even though it would have killed Purdue's chance of catching them.

Was this in response to my post? I wasn't saying I "wanted" Iowa to lose, just that I don't get the logic in not wanting to have every break you can get when playing for B1G standing/seeding. Not going to repeat my earlier post on scheduling, but I still think there is at least a reasonable chance Purdue could close the gap with (or even overtake) Iowa. Probably as good a chance to catch them as the other 2. Conversely, it sounds like you're saying you wanted Iowa to win just to hurt IU, even though it would have killed Purdue's chance of catching them.
I just don't see us making up 3 games with 4 to play. If I thought so, then yes. But we don't. That being said, yes, I'd rather have Iowa win the B1G than IU. There is no reasonable chance to overtake them. It's a long shot at best since they have the tie breaker

Your intellect is truely dizzying! I like it.

Purdue can still get a share of the B10 title if they:

a) win out AND
b) IU loses twice (Still play Purdue, Maryland, and @Iowa) AND
c) Iowa loses twice (Still play IU, Wisconsin, @Ohio St, @Michigan)

I wouldn't bet on it, but given the Maryland loss today and the Iowa loss yesterday, none of this out of the realm of possibility if Purdue takes care of business on Saturday.

OK, based off of last night's games, there is still a chance!

IU Loses to Purdue, Iowa, and Maryland (12-6)
Wisconsin beats Iowa and Michigan, but loses to Purdue (12-6)
Maryland loses to Michigan and Purdue (12-6)
MSU splits with OSU (12-6)

Purdue wins the Big Ten outright! Slight change of plans, but for the better!

Is everyone on the root for Iowa to win out wagon now?

Personally, I don't care too much. However, it would be different to see Iowa have a B1G regular season title. They tied for the conference title with (eventual national champion) Michigan State and Purdue in the '78-'79 season and won the conference title outright (14-0) in '69-'70. I don't think they've won it besides those times (definitely not in the modern era: shot-clock and 3PT shot i.e. beginning in '85-'86-'87).

At the end of a game-day, I just want to see the Boilers win!

Reactions: PurdueHick
Personally, I don't care too much. However, it would be different to see Iowa have a B1G regular season title. They tied for the conference title with (eventual national champion) Michigan State and Purdue in the '78-'79 season and won the conference title outright (14-0) in '69-'70. I don't think they've won it besides those times (definitely not in the modern era: shot-clock and 3PT shot i.e. beginning in '85-'86-'87).

At the end of a game-day, I just want to see the Boilers win!
I want to see the Boilers win, but also improve their BTT seeding. Just a reminder, Iowa winning out not only knocks IU out of the title but potentially improves Purdue's seeding (by beating Wisky, UM, OSU). Plus I don't think we recruit against them as much as others.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT