ADVERTISEMENT

How do you even fix this offense?

You think Kevin Sumlin could and would switch schools in the middle of a season and be our OC? Proven track record and Purdue alliance. Could see it as a pathway to head coach once we move on from Walters.
He’s just gonna come in and run harrells offense with personnel he has never coached?

Reactions: pboiler18
I’m all the way out on both Harrell and Card. I don’t even know who the problem is to be honest, so I’m going with both. They both are terrible. This offense is just a complete joke.

It would be justified to fire him right now but I don’t think they can. They don’t have anyone to take over. I know I know it couldn’t be worse. But realistically they just don’t have a guy to call a game if they fire him.

I can’t even believe how bad this offense is. 2-10 is the best case scenario if they continue to play this way.
I thought card did pretty good. He had by far the highest pff rating on offense. When he wasn’t under pressure he was 12-15 with a TD. Let’s not forget he had a 51 yard TD on a nice rollout called back due to questionable OPI. His INT although under pressure was a horrible throw but when you got guys in your face it’s tough to see the whole field.

I thought card did pretty good. He had by far the highest pff rating on offense. When he wasn’t under pressure he was 12-15 with a TD. Let’s not forget he had a 51 yard TD on a nice rollout called back due to questionable OPI. His INT although under pressure was a horrible throw but when you got guys in your face it’s tough to see the whole field.
Card was horrible until Nebraska went to prevent.

Reactions: pboiler18
So I don’t normally post on the football side so excuse me if it has been said but here are some ideas.

1. You tell Walters he has to fire Harrell. If he balks at the idea, you fire both and clean house.

2. We can’t fire the OC - no one else on staff has experience as a play caller!! We have a guy with experience and he sucks so can’t get worse. Hand the play sheet and let’s roll the dice with someone else.

3. No more punting - go for it every 4th down. This is genius because if we are deep in our own territory, it will save the defense from giving up long drives.

4. Hire a WR coach who teaches kids to get open. I’ve watched some plays where our WRs get jammed and basically quit on the play.

5. Drop all defensive players into coverage. Our defensive front isn’t getting pressure anyways, make it hard for them to throw with everyone in coverage.

6. Get some CS majors to run massive simulations on College Gameday to build the most optimal play calls for both sides of the ball. I bet we can do it for cheap which saves us $1m on Harrells salary.

If Bobinski doesn’t make a smart move soon, he is going to end up costing himself his job. We don’t need to hire a coach who doesn’t have HC experience. Find someone from the MAC who has shown success.

I’ll still tune in because I’m a loyal alum but it is going to be a painful year. The inaction and Walters repeating the same lines each week doesn’t instill confidence that he has any ideas how to right the ship.
I don't understand why you say we can't fire the OC, perhaps it's because no such person exists! Purdue could borrow most high school OC's and they would do a better job than the current one, same with the head coach!

• Haha
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I don't understand why you say we can't fire the OC, perhaps it's because no such person exists! Purdue could borrow most high school OC's and they would do a better job than the current one, same with the head coach!
Perhaps with the traditional coaching. But unfortunately the head coaches job goes far beyond traditional coaching, and new responsibilities are being added all of the time. There's the traditional recruiting, recruiting for the transfer portal, keeping the old players who are free to leave at any time, keeping new recruits on board, NIL, getting alumni to contribute to the program, and I imagine a lot more than most people realize. Then you have a new head coach trying to tackle all of these jobs simultaneously, and still coach the traditional parts and also trying to learn being a head coach at the college level. I doubt if any of your high school coaches could do all of that with any success. Of course the OC also has to help with the recruiting and keeping every on board, so even for him it's not all X's and O's. But the X's and O's have to be addressed better while accomplishing those other things, which they haven't.

Until Purdue gets a football coach, things will never improve. It's obvious the AD knows nothing about hiring a football coach. I'd still like to know what made him select Walters!
Why does the AD not know anything about hiring a football coach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT