ADVERTISEMENT

How did we get beat on the boards so bad?

We
JeffandMike, you both sound like guys who don’t know much about the game so you go to the old mantra of “it has to be the coaches fault”.
So now he can coach everything except blocking out.
That should be easy to fix. Just hire good “Blocking Out” Assistant coach. Problem solved.
Hey - the assistant coach job posting is still open: maybe I’ll apply.

Let’s see, I’ll put down my areas of expertise as Blocking Out, Landing Five Stars, and last but certainly not least, Zone Defense.

JeffandMike, you both sound like guys who don’t know much about the game so you go to the old mantra of “it has to be the coaches fault”.
So now he can coach everything except blocking out.
That should be easy to fix. Just hire good “Blocking Out” Assistant coach. Problem solved.
If it happens year after year with different assistant coach`s, then I`m assuming the only thing that hasn`t changed must be the answer.Don`t get me wrong, I think every head coach has a weakness and I do like Matt.I have to he`s from my home town!.....Muncie, In.

If it happens year after year with different assistant coach`s, then I`m assuming the only thing that hasn`t changed must be the answer.Don`t get me wrong, I think every head coach has a weakness and I do like Matt.I have to he`s from my home town!.....Muncie, In.
When what happens year after year?
Purdue's rank in the B1G for team rebounding past 5 years:

1018-19 #2
1917-18 #3
1916-17 #4
1915-16 #1
1914-15 #1

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
It happens in some games, not in others. It’s the difference in personnel and in what the two coaches want to accomplish in a given game. People assume that because a team has a bad performance in a specific area, for instance defensive rebounding, that the coach doesn’t practice or teach it well. We rebounded far better in the first half against Virginia than in the second. Why? Virginia made it there point of emphasis at halftime clearly. They put in two bigs, crashed in the lane and back tipped every ball they could touch. The guards new it and were moving in looking for the back tips. They could do it because they had three centers so they could afford to take fouls and expend that energy. It’s also damn hard to counter on the fly. Everybody says we’ll just play harms and Tre together, we’ll yes and he did later in the game. But he couldn’t do it early because if they get into foul trouble it’s game over. You also have to consider if an adjustment in personnel to help in one area negatively impacts another. Virginia gambled with the two bigs crashing strategy but it worked because Kyle Guy went off. Had he stayed at 20% from deep they lose but he jumped up to 80% so they won. Just look through this boards analysis. There are multiple topics of “if we had done this we win”. There are also multiple ones from UVA’s perspective that say the same. I will give you credit that you didn’t state that the coaches don’t practice (insert topic here). That’s my favorite dumb statement I read on here since none of us has any idea what gets practiced.

It happens in some games, not in others. It’s the difference in personnel and in what the two coaches want to accomplish in a given game. People assume that because a team has a bad performance in a specific area, for instance defensive rebounding, that the coach doesn’t practice or teach it well. We rebounded far better in the first half against Virginia than in the second. Why? Virginia made it there point of emphasis at halftime clearly. They put in two bigs, crashed in the lane and back tipped every ball they could touch. The guards new it and were moving in looking for the back tips. They could do it because they had three centers so they could afford to take fouls and expend that energy. It’s also damn hard to counter on the fly. Everybody says we’ll just play harms and Tre together, we’ll yes and he did later in the game. But he couldn’t do it early because if they get into foul trouble it’s game over. You also have to consider if an adjustment in personnel to help in one area negatively impacts another. Virginia gambled with the two bigs crashing strategy but it worked because Kyle Guy went off. Had he stayed at 20% from deep they lose but he jumped up to 80% so they won. Just look through this boards analysis. There are multiple topics of “if we had done this we win”. There are also multiple ones from UVA’s perspective that say the same. I will give you credit that you didn’t state that the coaches don’t practice (insert topic here). That’s my favorite dumb statement I read on here since none of us has any idea what gets practiced.
I think it is becoming a more common theme that teams are tipping the ball out instead of rebounding the ball compared to times of old!

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I think it is becoming a more common theme that teams are tipping the ball out instead of rebounding the ball compared to times of old!
Any loose ball when you don’t have possession is a good thing...shocking I know.
When the offense sells out to crash boards the D has to also. The traffic and confusion makes it more physical and the tip play becomes more likely.

Another first post defending an earlier first post. Are you a sock puppet of JeffandMike?

I said we outrebounded almost every team e play. Did you not catch the word "almost"? We averaged something like 37+ rebounds per game which was better than about 75% of all teams playing this year. That is substantially better than IU. Not blocking out doesn't sound like it was Painter's M.O. does it?
yes you did say we outrebounded almost every team. My point was when we did lose that was the common theme. If we were outrebounded and won every game who cares. as the game unfolded it looked like too many of the games we lost. #25 just absolutely killed us. kind of surprised he is not turning Pro.

Any loose ball when you don’t have possession is a good thing...shocking I know.
When the offense sells out to crash boards the D has to also. The traffic and confusion makes it more physical and the tip play becomes more likely.

Our guards got beat on a lot of those 50/50 tip outs. Not sure if that was a quickness thing or poor anticipation or what. But, it seemed like in the 2nd half, UVA guards got about 90% of those tip outs. That was so frustrating to watch.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Our guards got beat on a lot of those 50/50 tip outs. Not sure if that was a quickness thing or poor anticipation or what. But, it seemed like in the 2nd half, UVA guards got about 90% of those tip outs. That was so frustrating to watch.
Its tough to counter. If the offensive guards are down bing in to get offensive rebounds you tell your guards not to watch shots but the instead to only watch their man and block them out when they commit. With the tip outs they have to see the tip to know where to go. If you read the guard it’s too late. If you can figure out how to get there first you should be able to run but those are tough changes to make with only a time out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT