ADVERTISEMENT

How did we get beat on the boards so bad?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
It was almost unbelievable how many offensive rebounds VA got and were able to score on second chance points. Obviously, that was the difference in the game.
I already deleted the game but other than Bennett going with a bigger lineup, was UVA doing something different on the O glass that PU wasn't ready for or was it just the fact that we had 6'6, 6'6, 6'5 and 6'0 with Haarms?
I wonder is Painter is second guessing himself not playing Wheeler more in the second half.
The other thing VA did well was that instead of securing the rebound, they would just tap it out and let their guards run it down. (just like the game tying play).
Incredibly frustrating.

It was almost unbelievable how many offensive rebounds VA got and were able to score on second chance points. Obviously, that was the difference in the game.
I already deleted the game but other than Bennett going with a bigger lineup, was UVA doing something different on the O glass that PU wasn't ready for or was it just the fact that we had 6'6, 6'6, 6'5 and 6'0 with Haarms?
I wonder is Painter is second guessing himself not playing Wheeler more in the second half.
The other thing VA did well was that instead of securing the rebound, they would just tap it out and let their guards run it down. (just like the game tying play).
Incredibly frustrating.
Painter coach`s a lot of things really well,but blocking out on the glass has not been one of them....it`s his m.o!!!

That Diamati post player for Virginia is a heck of a good player. He has fast feet and was able to slip around box outs like no one I’ve ever seen. Purdue was rarely outrebounded this year, but Virginia, and the D-guy made a regular practice of it. He could out jump Williams, Eifert, and could easily equal Haarms in elevation. The Virginia guys were also coached to punch the ball out of the hands of opponents hands. They have quick hands and were able to knock the balls loose without fouling (most of the time). That’s why there were so many tip-outs.

2 things:
(1) Haarms is a good defender and shot blocker/alterer, but he's never been a great rebounder. Grady had to shoulder a lot of rebounding load for a 6'6" PF. This is one reason why I'd like to see Tre spend the next 4-5 months conditioning to the point where he can give us 15-20 mpg at the PF position and another 5-10 at C.
(2) Thought our guards could have been more active in blocking out their guards on the long rebounds and tap-backs. But part of it was our guards having to come into the paint to help with the short rebounds.

Not a troll....They`ve been my team since 1969...Just stating a fact!!
Purdue out rebounded almost every team we played against, but for some reason you think not rebounding is Painter's M.O.? You defend your first post by saying your opinion was some sort of "fact"? I think you got exposed on your first post, troll. Now you are just digging the hole deeper.

It's April first, and I think you might be the fool.

:cool:

Reactions: Woody-1982
Our players seem to have slower reaction time than Virginia's players in the game.

Purdue out rebounded almost every team we played against, but for some reason you think not rebounding is Painter's M.O.? You defend your first post by saying your opinion was some sort of "fact"? I think you got exposed on your first post, troll. Now you are just digging the hole deeper.

We were out rebounded by Michigan, Maryland, texas MSU,PSU, IU. Lost 4 of those games and should have lost at PSU. Common theme when we did lose.

We were out rebounded by Michigan, Maryland, texas MSU,PSU, IU. Lost 4 of those games and should have lost at PSU. Common theme when we did lose.
Way before analytics was a word, there was a common coaching mantra . . . the team that wins the rebounding war, wins the game. In 1979, I Coached a Ten-&-under AAU team and our HS coach sat the bench with me at our state tournament. At a time-out with a few seconds left and we were up maybe 1 or 2, he told that team, "The team who gets the next rebound will win this game." Some things never change.

Are we talking offensive rebounds or rebounds in general? One season or 14 seasons. We`re talking about blocking out in the lane!

Last edited:
Haarms and Williams were leaving their guy to try to block shots which left their guy available for an easy offensive put back.
This! I applaud their hustle and attempts to help teammates on defense, but there were times they had not shot at the block. Going for it took them out of the play.

Reactions: Arlin964
Incredibly frustrating.
I think this is a very valid question and I think the best answer is they wanted the ball just a bit more. Rebounding takes a " that ball is mine " attitude and sometimes even a perfect box out isn't enough.
Now if you don't like that answer then it comes down to this. Our bigs are not athletic enough. Grady god bless him just isn't athletic. Tre just doesn't have the stanimi yet. Matt focus's usually is trying to block the shot so he's a little out of position plus he could use some more strength. Aaron is our best athlete but is still green around the edges. Jelly our best board guy is a guard so he finds himself further from the basket. Ryan, well he's no board guy. Carsen is a good board guy but once he recv his 3rd foul took away his board tenacity.
And if you don't like that answer then there always the " black hole " theory and it just cant be explained.

Reactions: jeffandmike
Way before analytics was a word, there was a common coaching mantra . . . the team that wins the rebounding war, wins the game. In 1979, I Coached a Ten-&-under AAU team and our HS coach sat the bench with me at our state tournament. At a time-out with a few seconds left and we were up maybe 1 or 2, he told that team, "The team who gets the next rebound will win this game." Some things never change.
Funny you say that. My wife, of all people, was watching the scoreboard at the Tennessee game, and noticed the correlation between the rebounding margin and the score: we led in rebounding, and in the score, and then Tennessee made their run, and took the lead in both points and boards. Then we ended up ahead in both categories.

Obviously defense plays a role there as well, but you have to finish the possession with getting the board.

Incredibly frustrating.

Help side defense. Virginia knew it was coming from Harms because he is effective and aggressive, and on a few occasions threw the ball on the class to get the weak side offensive player easy opportunities. Requires skillfully rolling down a defender to help Harms.

Another first post defending an earlier first post. Are you a sock puppet of JeffandMike?

I said we outrebounded almost every team e play. Did you not catch the word "almost"? We averaged something like 37+ rebounds per game which was better than about 75% of all teams playing this year. That is substantially better than IU. Not blocking out doesn't sound like it was Painter's M.O. does it?

Help side defense. Virginia knew it was coming from Harms because he is effective and aggressive, and on a few occasions threw the ball on the class to get the weak side offensive player easy opportunities. Requires skillfully rolling down a defender to help Harms.

I seem to remember their guards getting a lot of boards. Alot of those were on tap outs but I can remember Guy getting at least a couple offensive boards down low.
Cline, while a great shooter, is not quick or athletic. Grady, while a hustler and heady player, again, not athletic enough.
I think it boils down to Purdue being close, just needing to upgrade the overall athletic ability in recruiting so that when you are deep in a tourney and facing a really good team, you can match them athletically on those 50/50 balls, scrambles, etc. A lot of these games come down to 50/50 balls in the 2nd half.

I agree with 1980 and Fan4life. I think the difference was that our bigs tried to block too many shots and got themselves out of position to box out. I noticed several times that the first move after a shot was to turn and look instead of putting bodies on the Virginia players.

Virginia has a simple formula for winning. They cheat! They focus on creating more possessions for themselves than for their opponent. When you have the ball more, you don't have to be as good to win. It's like playing H-O-R-S-E, but your opponent only has to get to S or even R to win. Rebounding differential + Turnover differential = Possession differential. In this game that differential was 11.

Another first post defending an earlier first post. Are you a sock puppet of JeffandMike?

I said we outrebounded almost every team e play. Did you not catch the word "almost"? We averaged something like 37+ rebounds per game which was better than about 75% of all teams playing this year. That is substantially better than IU. Not blocking out doesn't sound like it was Painter's M.O. does it?
1 season or 14 seasons.

Your M.O. is running threads into the ditch. It's played out and old. Your entire defense is anyone can't have a first post and if you disagree, they're just a troll. Get over yourself.

I seem to remember their guards getting a lot of boards. Alot of those were on tap outs but I can remember Guy getting at least a couple offensive boards down low.
Cline, while a great shooter, is not quick or athletic. Grady, while a hustler and heady player, again, not athletic enough.
I think it boils down to Purdue being close, just needing to upgrade the overall athletic ability in recruiting so that when you are deep in a tourney and facing a really good team, you can match them athletically on those 50/50 balls, scrambles, etc. A lot of these games come down to 50/50 balls in the 2nd half.
AW logged 22 min in this game so I think Painter knew he had to match up better on boards. If I remember correctly there was a critical FT rebound that Wheeler almost got after a miss on our end.

Your M.O. is running threads into the ditch. It's played out and old. Your entire defense is anyone can't have a first post and if you disagree, they're just a troll. Get over yourself.
He`s just a young man wanting some attention. I`m just trying to make him happy.

Funny stuff, especially from you. Why would you feel the need to jump in and defend a troll post?

Incredibly frustrating.
That’s why he shouldn’t of had him foul.

Could not contain their athletes on the dribble. Our bigs helped, out of positive for the rebound.

On the tap out, among all the other unlucky things, the ball bounced long.

Disagree. The foul was the right move. They way they were shooting the 3, I'd rather give them 2 at the line and then have Carsen shooting FTs to ice it.
Painter probably remembers the Little Rock game a few years ago when he chose not to foul on the late possession and LRA hit a 3 to tie it.

Could not contain their athletes on the dribble. Our bigs helped, out of positive for the rebound.

On the tap out, among all the other unlucky things, the ball bounced long.

I don't think that was the issue. They were hitting some really tough shots. It's not like they were kicking it out for open looks, most of the 3's they hit were decently defended.

UVA had shooters across the board and forced our interior guys in to one on one boxing out...which they weren't very good at throughout the season. The team was a very good defensive rebounding TEAM but lacked an individual like Swanigan who could alleviate the need to crash the boards as a team. That was the one aspect of the game that I thought favored UVA more than any other and could be the reason Purdue would struggle in that game.

Disagree BA##. You foul in that situation every time. 2 points wins, 3 points puts you into overtime. Make the smart play every time.

I see you are now up to 50. I think you might want to rethink your approach to message boards in general if you are getting banned that often.

Painter coach`s a lot of things really well,but blocking out on the glass has not been one of them....it`s his m.o!!!
JeffandMike, you both sound like guys who don’t know much about the game so you go to the old mantra of “it has to be the coaches fault”.
So now he can coach everything except blocking out.
That should be easy to fix. Just hire good “Blocking Out” Assistant coach. Problem solved.

Funny stuff, especially from you. Why would you feel the need to jump in and defend a troll post?

Mostly because you're a burn out. Nobody knows who's a troll just because they have just started posting. You act like the board police. Your attacks are tiresome. Get a life.

Mostly because you're a burn out. Nobody knows who's a troll just because they have just started posting. You act like the board police. Your attacks are tiresome. Get a life.
Do you really think “not boxing out” is Painters M.O.? You are defending a guy who joined right after the game ended and then tossed out insults to the coach. You figure this is the hill you want to die on? Give me a break!

Do you really think “not boxing out” is Painters M.O.? You are defending a guy who joined right after the game ended and then tossed out insults to the coach. You figure this is the hill you want to die on? Give me a break!
Well, if you had the capacity to actually use logic and reasoning....maybe you'd find out he's just putting his opinion out. Face it, you have a proven track record of labeling anyone you disagree with. It's a huge turnoff. I have no idea if they guy is a troll or not, but nor do you. You lack the ability to give someone room to express themselves. Disagree? Great! How about you grow up and explain why? You've done this crap with me, and honestly, I'm over it. How about you take that break you ask for. You suck the oxygen out of the board.

Reactions: Tippet523
Well, if you had the capacity to actually use logic and reasoning....maybe you'd find out he's just putting his opinion out. Face it, you have a proven track record of labeling anyone you disagree with. It's a huge turnoff. I have no idea if they guy is a troll or not, but nor do you. You lack the ability to give someone room to express themselves. Disagree? Great! How about you grow up and explain why? You've done this crap with me, and honestly, I'm over it. How about you take that break you ask for. You suck the oxygen out of the board.
:cool: Cool with this. Sorry you got so triggered.

We have been inundated with trolls lately. The very guys you are defending have vanished. Interesting, isn’t it?

:cool: Cool with this. Sorry you got so triggered.

We have been inundated with trolls lately. The very guys you are defending have vanished. Interesting, isn’t it?
It's says plenty that you like triggering fellow alum and fans. Great work.

ADVERTISEMENT