ADVERTISEMENT

How Brazil reduced their murder rate

Yeah it does, quite a bit. It supports not having gun control so you don't get put in concentration camps and correlates to this whole argument as they are tied together.

Again, try and keep up.
Another time-waster, lost in a maze of random websites feeding his confirmation bias.

Another time-waster, lost in a maze of random websites feeding his confirmation bias.
iu

Also it would appear the prison population in Brazil has more than tripled in the last 15-20 yrs.

is it too simple to assume gun crime has gone down in Brazil because they’re getting gun criminals off the street at a higher rate than before??

So it took 12-17 years of getting criminals off the streets to reduce gun violence? Are they getting criminals off the streets at a higher rate than before?
Gun violence in America has gone down a lot from the peak in the early 90s but I wouldn’t say it’s because more people have guns although that is true.

Source- DOJ statistics

This one is a little more up to date. One would think by listening to our media and politicians that gun violence is getting worse and worse all the time.

So it took 12-17 years of getting criminals off the streets to reduce gun violence? Are they getting criminals off the streets at a higher rate than before?

This one is a little more up to date. One would think by listening to our media and politicians that gun violence is getting worse and worse all the time.

Prison pop in Brazil tripled in barely 15 years in a country that large.
I believe this proves they’re getting criminals off the street 3x more than before.

Prison pop in Brazil tripled in barely 15 years in a country that large.
I believe this proves they’re getting criminals off the street 3x more than before.
Sure, but that doesn't totally make sense if you're trying to claim that 15 years of increased prison rates equals 3 years of less gun violence.

If there were a federal mandate that said "Any crime committed with a firearm, whether it be a robbery, car jacking, shooting or other, would get a minimum 5 year prison sentence for a first offense",
would that deter gun crime?

Sure, but that doesn't totally make sense if you're trying to claim that 15 years of increased prison rates equals 3 years of less gun violence.
inmates are going in faster than they’re coming out - the only thing I get from that is a higher number of criminals are in prison and not out on the street committing crimes.

Seems like a reasonable conclusion that with less gun criminals on the street you’d see few gun crimes being committed.

If there were a federal mandate that said "Any crime committed with a firearm, whether it be a robbery, car jacking, shooting or other, would get a minimum 5 year prison sentence for a first offense",
would that deter gun crime?
While they are at it, they should make murder illegal.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
inmates are going in faster than they’re coming out - the only thing I get from that is a higher number of criminals are in prison and not out on the street committing crimes.

Seems like a reasonable conclusion that with less gun criminals on the street you’d see few gun crimes being committed.
I don't see it as a reasonable conclusion when gun violence didn't start coming down until 3 years ago. That's why I said, how is it that it took 13-17 years for gun violence to START coming down?

I don't see it as a reasonable conclusion when gun violence didn't start coming down until 3 years ago. That's why I said, how is it that it took 13-17 years for gun violence to START coming down?
Maybe 3 years ago they crossed some statistical turning point or threshold. Maybe it takes a few years for society to start taking the court system seriously
I don’t know….. No way I could know without having and analyzing the data and talking with experts. Was just brainstorming possible reasons and fully admit broad generalization and not knowing much about Brazil.
Would be interesting to hear a Brazilians take

Reactions: Boilermaker03
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT