ADVERTISEMENT

How are we loving these freshman?

Yes..they are,playing with grit and passion. Both teams were tired late and Loyer drilled two daggers..I write a small little blog for friends down in Texas, and I believe Smith is next coming of Chris Kramer

Does everybody like what they see early on? Loyer and Smith are LEGIT and they play like they have been on the teams for years.

A whole lot......

love-happy.gif

Hope he turns into version of Mount personally 😃
I think he might end up being version 2.0 Ive said repeatedly for the past year and a half Loyer is the best pure shooter Ive ever seen since Mount in Indiana HS. I'm not a coach but my eyeballs have seen a LOT of HS players since 1963.... BTW Loyer will also be fantastic at the line...last year he made his first 44,iirc, before a miss,

We all love Kramer but I don't think the comp is accurate with Smith. Kramer was not a true point guard. He wasn't really a true 2 either because he didn't shoot all that well. He was just a great all-around player who did everything to help the team win. That is of course a good comp for Smith. But Smith is a true PG, Kramer was not.

We all love Kramer but I don't think the comp is accurate with Smith. Kramer was not a true point guard. He wasn't really a true 2 either because he didn't shoot all that well. He was just a great all-around player who did everything to help the team win. That is of course a good comp for Smith. But Smith is a true PG, Kramer was not.
Him looking off in one direction passing in another, it's in his DNA, like the behind the back to Edey under the basket, he's got a natural sense few have or exta eyes 😃

Completely agree. I don't think we have a good comp from past PU players. Porter Roberts and Lew jack didn't have the offensive game Smith has. Kramer, same thing.

Maybe the closest comparison for Kramer is Morton? I know it's a stretch, but Morton does all the little things, dials up assists, and is strong defensively. Somewhat Kramer-like.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Loyer - as they said on Sunday, "Everyone Needs a good Loyer". Kid is different from the mold of Cline, Mathias and Smith because he can get to the bucket and through contact. Needs to tighten up that first free throw motion.

Waddell is growing on me. Doesn't make mistakes and seems to be in the right places at the right time. That backdoor cut and dunk, isn't something we usually see in our offense.

Loyer - as they said on Sunday, "Everyone Needs a good Loyer". Kid is different from the mold of Cline, Mathias and Smith because he can get to the bucket and through contact. Needs to tighten up that first free throw motion.

Waddell is growing on me. Doesn't make mistakes and seems to be in the right places at the right time. That backdoor cut and dunk, isn't something we usually see in our offense.

I assume you're speaking of Ryne "ball rack" Smith. Interesting note about Fletcher Loyer at the line because I've seen a little of that too - seems just jumpy sometimes - he's definitely got the potential to be very good/excellent.....and will get his fair share of opportunities, IMO.

Brian Waddell - also showing some nifty passing skills for his size......may take him some time......even another season with the line-up logjam.....I can see the potential there.

From what I can tell, I think Waddell is still not back to 100% from the ACL. I think by late season and definitely by next year, his movement and overall quickness will be noticeably better.

I assume you're speaking of Ryne "ball rack" Smith. Interesting note about Fletcher Loyer at the line because I've seen a little of that too - seems just jumpy sometimes - he's definitely got the potential to be very good/excellent.....and will get his fair share of opportunities, IMO.

Brian Waddell - also showing some nifty passing skills for his size......may take him some time......even another season with the line-up logjam.....I can see the potential there.
Loyer led the nation in FT shooting most of his junior year in HS. I think he still ended up at 95% or higher. He'll get it back.

Maryland’s perimeter players will be a good test for our young backcourt.

I noticed Jameel Brown is not playing much at PSU. He will be good there eventually I think. That decommit has worked out since it opened up a scholarship for Smith.
I was looking for him too. Never did hear his name called. But I was switching to the MD game also.

Reactions: TX4GB
I really like all of our freshmen. Brian is a very mature passer, getting more comfortable w his knee strength and agility. He seems to be a stabilizer - when he comes in. LoveSmith and Loyer - moxie and confidence doesn’t do them Justice. They are unselfish and really play within themselves. They are fabulous freshmen. Very impressed with Trey - he may be our best post up power forward - ever. He will become a Boilermaker legend. I really like Ethan Morton’s leadership, vision and hustle. He seems to be quicker to the ball and have better lateral movement. Really like his demeanor. In the Texas game last year you could really see his passion and his heart. He continues to get better each game. Love Caleb’s timing, unselfish play and giving up his body for his team. He is great around the basket and has become a very good dagger - 3 point shooter. Eddy’s text to his teammates says it all. He is our leader and very stoic even when he is under physical assault. Seemingly, this years team has great chemistry. Our fabulous glue guy - Mason has really improved his game. I thought when he was a freshman - he had great timing and three point form. Love his hustle, his vision on the court and his timing for just the right play at the right time. I love his high post passes into Zach. At the beginning of the year - I thought Brandon and Dave would be starting. Very happy with their production in coming with the second wave. They really give us a different dynamic on the floor and especially with Gonzaga, Duke and Marquette. I love this team, it’s unselfishness, it’s chemistry on and off the court.
Looking forward to seeing Cam Heide next year. He will be a star. It is exciting to think of Myles contributions next year also. Will Berg is working hard on his game - I am sure. We are getting Purdue players, athleticism and high basketball IQ. So proud of their academic excellence as well.
When NCAA passed NIL - I thought just when Purdue was getting a great recruiting position - now we will lose out on players like Nijel Pack- but as my husband says now, “Nijel who?”
Thank you Coach for doing things the right way- the “Purdue Way!”

Last edited:
I think of Brandon Smith as a bit like Jerry Sistine. During the later years of John Wooden, after retiring from coaching, he would do color at some basketball games. I remember him at the Purdue-IU game. IU had to foul to get the ball back, trailing by just a few. Jerry had the ball, dribbling around the backcourt and the IU guys couldn't catch him to foul. Wooden says, "You couldn't guard that guy with a machine gun!".

I think Smith is very much like Sistine in character and will.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I think of Brandon Smith as a bit like Jerry Sistine. During the later years of John Wooden, after retiring from coaching, he would do color at some basketball games. I remember him at the Purdue-IU game. IU had to foul to get the ball back, trailing by just a few. Jerry had the ball, dribbling around the backcourt and the IU guys couldn't catch him to foul. Wooden says, "You couldn't guard that guy with a machine gun!".

I think Smith is very much like Sistine in character and will.

Until Glenn Robinson (Spurs) and Brian Cardinal won with the Mavericks, I think Jerry Sichting had been the last Purdue player to be on a NBA Champion team. Could be mistaken on that. Liking the floor general aspect so far from Braden Smith - Sichting certainly had that as part of his game.

Long way to go, but I'd say Mr. Smith has started the race well....confident but willing to learn......and some innate abilities/instincts that you can't really teach. We shall see how things unfold and especially when the pressure ramps up......both from the defense and the game moments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B and TX4GB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT