ADVERTISEMENT

Houston's Tony Levine was fired the other day

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
after 3 yrs. with a 21-17 record including a 7-5 record this year. So , it looks like they gave him 3 yrs. and he didn't have a bad record. Of course, I'm sure they have a different type of AD. As a disclaimer, I'm not posting this to incite a "Fire DH" campaign but to show how other schools operate.

images

Sumlin went 5-7 in one year (due to QB injuries) and didn't get the axe.

At the time, I remember people on this board didn't want him as OUR coach because of that.

At the end of the day, even if Sumlin turns out to be a bad Xs and Os guy....bottom line....he can recruit. We sorely needed that here from 2010 on....

In 2006, Art Briles (now at Baylor) went 10-4 at Houston. In 2009, Sumlin won 10 games, and then his team went 13-1 in 2011 (Levine coached the bowl game, which Houston won).

They had other 10-10+ win seasons previous to Briles, so Houston has had some periods of success. It is not unreasonable for Houston fans to think that Levine was going to carry on the winning that Briles and Sumlin had. He was part of Sumlin's staff, so there was some continuity.

It seems the thing that stung Levine more than anything else was declining offensive production (ppg). He lost some good OCs (Kingsbury as Texas tech, etc.) and other offensive coaches, and his replacements weren't as good. This is not dissimilar to Purdue losing Greg Olsen and later Jim Chaney. Tiller's teams weren't as good after Chaney left.

BTW, Purdue has only had one 10-10+ win season in its history - 10-2 in 1981 under Jim Young.

ADVERTISEMENT