ADVERTISEMENT

Holt should go !

Fugs

True Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 13, 2002
He yells and screams but can't make the proper adjustments to stop an offense from running the same play over and over. One week we play to loose, next game to tight, next game he does not adjust to the strong side of the offense and what about all of the stupid the penalties. For all of the hype Holt gets he is only average at best. Tell me I am wrong after IU throws the ball over and under us the whole game. We will need to score another 50 points to pull out a win in Bloomington. After the MSU game Brohn was really pissed at him. Should have fired him that Sunday. Something has to change.

Reactions: TMan92
He yells and screams but can't make the proper adjustments to stop an offense from running the same play over and over. One week we play to loose, next game to tight, next game he does not adjust to the strong side of the offense and what about all of the stupid the penalties. For all of the hype Holt gets he is only average at best. Tell me I am wrong after IU throws the ball over and under us the whole game. We will need to score another 50 points to pull out a win in Bloomington. After the MSU game Brohn was really pissed at him. Should have fired him that Sunday. Something has to change.
Excellent example of someone who watched the game but didn't understand what he saw, and what happened out there. You ever play the game? I did and I can tell you that Holt did the best job he could with the players he has. Give the nonsense a rest.

Excellent example of someone who watched the game but didn't understand what he saw, and what happened out there. You ever play the game? I did and I can tell you that Holt did the best job he could with the players he has. Give the nonsense a rest.
The "I played the game" reference. Awesome.

He should not be fired though. That is knee jerk. I think the Thieneman injury hurt more than I realized with run support. The only coaching issue is they looked slow to get lined up.

Oh, do tell. Was it at recess? Purdue, on defense, wasnt put in a position to succeed. With that being said, Purdue doesn’t have the defensive line that give coaches the opportunity to succeed. However, we definitely haven’t been out scheming people, on either side of the ball. Coaches? Players? Only time will tell.

Stupid suggestion. Any one with a brain and some football acumen can see a defense with only 2 legit Power 5 level players - J Thieneman was a 3rd. Last year was a much better indication of Holt’s coaching.

No one wants to face the obvious - 8 years of crap recruiting left this program in dire straits. There is no depth - no margin for error. Football is line play. Setting behind the Wisconsin bench it was so evident to me the disparity in talent between their offensive line and our defensive line.

If any so-called Boilermaker fans want to question the current coaching staff and their decisions, the only glaring regret would have been not going for 2 after the second OT td - that would have given us the best chance to win at the time given the circumstances.

Better hope Brohm and Company stay. 3 and 4 at home with the 4 L’s by a combined 11 points with our current roster is a REMARKABLE coaching job given this year’s schedule. “Fans” who don’t understand don’t deserve Brohm and his assistants. Maybe they should go to Louisville if the Purdue fan base isn’t smart enough to realize what they have.

Could not agree more with you. He does one hell of a job with the players he has to work with. He’s playing with very little experience and “football mature size”. He can’t take a freshman and make them into the body and football IQ of a sophomore or junior. It takes time and that’s why immature football program is mature and more ways than just IQ and common sense. Next year will be a much better perspective of what he can do. Especially with the defense linemen coming in who already have size and superior skill. What you don’t see from our defensive ends are spin moves, swim Moves, hump moves. Things that allow them to get to the quarterback very quickly because they just don’t have that talent but how is that Holt’s fault?
If Jacob Thieneman wasn’t hurt I think we win this game and it doesn’t even go into OT. We have the type of defense they cannot afford any injuries and it’s unfortunate but Jacob’s injury was one we needed him to be there to stop Wisconsin just one of those last two drives before OT

Stupid suggestion. Any one with a brain and some football acumen can see a defense with only 2 legit Power 5 level players - J Thieneman was a 3rd. Last year was a much better indication of Holt’s coaching.

No one wants to face the obvious - 8 years of crap recruiting left this program in dire straits. There is no depth - no margin for error. Football is line play. Setting behind the Wisconsin bench it was so evident to me the disparity in talent between their offensive line and our defensive line.

If any so-called Boilermaker fans want to question the current coaching staff and their decisions, the only glaring regret would have been not going for 2 after the second OT td - that would have given us the best chance to win at the time given the circumstances.

Better hope Brohm and Company stay. 3 and 4 at home with the 4 L’s by a combined 11 points with our current roster is a REMARKABLE coaching job given this year’s schedule. “Fans” who don’t understand don’t deserve Brohm and his assistants. Maybe they should go to Louisville if the Purdue fan base isn’t smart enough to realize what they have.
Well said...... a large group of us at our local watering hole all thought he would go for 2 and the win.....head scratcher to say the least when your "D" has nothing in the tank.........I know our 'D-Line" is thin, held Wisky to 3 in the first half......just wore down with no depth! Where has our Line backing unit been the past few games? Not all on the "D" line...

I'm worried about our chances against IU.The last few games we have n't been able to stop anyone.We are very weak at linebacker compared to last year which makes it very difficult for the secondary.I'm not sure we should blame Holt for a lack of talent.

Well said...... a large group of us at our local watering hole all thought he would go for 2 and the win.....head scratcher to say the least when your "D" has nothing in the tank.........I know our 'D-Line" is thin, held Wisky to 3 in the first half......just wore down with no depth! Where has our Line backing unit been the past few games? Not all on the "D" line...
When Jacob got hurt, I knew we were in trouble because he’s so smart and his position. Sure he’s not a linebacker, but when he comes up and does a safety blitz, he causes such a disruption. We are just so thin right now, these guys gave everything they had yesterday. We probably should’ve gone for two, but I understand his thinking when we couldn’t score inside the 5 yard line on two occasions.

I'm worried about our chances against IU.The last few games we have n't been able to stop anyone.We are very weak at linebacker compared to last year which makes it very difficult for the secondary.I'm not sure we should blame Holt for a lack of talent.
Losing to IU and their High School Tom Crean clone coach should settle the debate on whether Brohm and is staff should go to Louisville.

Oh, do tell. Was it at recess? Purdue, on defense, wasnt put in a position to succeed. With that being said, Purdue doesn’t have the defensive line that give coaches the opportunity to succeed. However, we definitely haven’t been out scheming people, on either side of the ball. Coaches? Players? Only time will tell.
I should never put personal items in a message board post. I do regret admitting to this, because it was never a significant experience. 140 pound fullback on the high school scout team for two seasons. Never even had a number that was my own. Never dressed for a game, so no, I didn't actually play the game. I don't mind being called out for my in-the-heat-of -the-moment post. Sorry about that.

Reactions: 85_Rebel

This is just an indication of how ignorant you are. We have no depth and we have key guys hurt. In two years, this will not be a problem. This was caused by bad recruiting by the last staff. The defense will improve. You don’t perform well when your best players are hurt and there is little DEPTH!!

This is just an indication of how ignorant you are. We have no depth and we have key guys hurt. In two years, this will not be a problem. This was caused by bad recruiting by the last staff. The defense will improve. You don’t perform well when your best players are hurt and there is little DEPTH!!
Weren't you one of those who said, "Oh, the second year we will go to a bigger bowl, and we'll be so much better." I'm far from ignorant of any of this, but I refuse to believe in the tooth fairy and Easter bunny where Brohm's coaching has done better this season. And remember, Wisky was without their QB, their #1 LB, and a RB...all of whom would have given PU more to worry about. Brohm has two classes of his own, and that's a cop out.

Weren't you one of those who said, "Oh, the second year we will go to a bigger bowl, and we'll be so much better." I'm far from ignorant of any of this, but I refuse to believe in the tooth fairy and Easter bunny where Brohm's coaching has done better this season. And remember, Wisky was without their QB, their #1 LB, and a RB...all of whom would have given PU more to worry about. Brohm has two classes of his own, and that's a cop out.
If he stays and continues to recruit classes lime the current one and they still have games like yesterday I'll say you were right. If however we are competing for the B1G championship in a couple of years on a regular basis I doubt that you'll admit that you were wrong.

If he stays and continues to recruit classes lime the current one and they still have games like yesterday I'll say you were right. If however we are competing for the B1G championship in a couple of years on a regular basis I doubt that you'll admit that you were wrong.
Admit I was wrong? Sure....but why not next year? That's three years of his recruits and the last of the BEST Haze guys. I'm saying if he doesn't win 8 next year if he's here, and make a major New Year's bowl, he needs to be on the hottest of hot seats. So far, I don't see much in the body of work.

Last edited:
Coming into this season Purdue's D was supposed to be weak, Holt is doing the best with what he has, most of these guys return next year, have to get stronger, Wisky won the line of scrimmage battle in a huge way.
It is as simple as that. Wisconsin won the line of scrimmage. Our Defense wore down and yardage came in chunks in the second half. A play or two here and there and it could be different.
Bottom line progress is being made. If Coach Brohm and staff stays, Purdue will trend upwards in a very good way in year 3 & 4.

Here is my last measuring stick objective view:
2017 we played Wisconsin to an 8 point loss on their turf with a good Purdue defense loaded with upperclassman.
2018 we took Wisconsin to Triple O.T. with an improved Offense & a work in progress underclassman defense.
2019 - Remember the scene in Jurassic park, "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"? Good bye Bucky, we're taking over.

All of this assumes Brohm and 2019 class stay in tact.

That would be a big mistake. Holt knows his shit when it comes to defense. He is much better than you think.
We should acknowledge that we played Wisconsin. Granted they were a gimped team, but it is Wisconsin with a good OL. One other point I want to make. Jonathan Taylor didn't just tear up Purdue. Look at his yardage both Freshman yr (~1900) yards and Soph yr (~1870) yards with a game to play. He will surpass 2000 yards this season. He is not chopped liver! He got a lot of his yards against Purdue in the 2nd half when our defense wore down. We do not have 2nd level guys with a lot of underclassman playing.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4242335/jonathan-taylor

When Jonathan Taylor contends for the Heisman Trophy this year. Remember what I just told you. Holt is not the problem! It is underclassman learning OJT and they will get better.

Reactions: Roeder
I should never put personal items in a message board post. I do regret admitting to this, because it was never a significant experience. 140 pound fullback on the high school scout team for two seasons. Never even had a number that was my own. Never dressed for a game, so no, I didn't actually play the game. I don't mind being called out for my in-the-heat-of -the-moment post. Sorry about that.

For the record, I had just finished drinking for the night when I posted. Sorry.

Losing to IU and their High School Tom Crean clone coach should settle the debate on whether Brohm and is staff should go to Louisville.

Here we go again. Let's see, i think we should hire Les Miles. No wait. How about Rich Rod? Or Charlie Weiss? I mean really, all you're doing is picking coaches with name recognition because you think that's what coaching is. If Miles couldn't win at LSU with the talent that team had, how in the h&ll do you think he's going to be successful at Purdue. The fact that the dumpster fire Kansas football program is rumored to be hiring Miles tells you everything you need to know. They'll pay him top dollar and he'll respond with 3 yards and a cloud of dust (Hazell-esque).

It is what it is but I watched Holt closely when he was head coach at Idaho and the extreme energy was nice at first and applauded.That said, losing made that continued rah-rah look high schoolish at times. I personally like his inter-hype but I still look at it with a guarded asterisk. Results sell tickets and that is the way it is. Excuses, even legitimate ones don't hold up too long with fans even in lower conferences. Time will tell.

Admit I was wrong? Sure....but why not next year? That's three years of his recruits and the last of the BEST Haze guys. I'm saying if he doesn't win 8 next year if he's here, and make a major New Year's bowl, he needs to be on the hottest of hot seats. So far, I don't see much in the body of work.
I’d say that would be closer to two years of recruits based on when he was hired. And a New Year’s Day bowl or he’s on the hot seat? What has Purdue been to, 4 such games in their history? I’m not counting the Heart of Texas Bowl.

We all knew.....or some of us did that we were going to be in trouble with our line play. More DL than OL as the raw mature talent just is not there right now...
Dumb thread!!

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
It is what it is but I watched Holt closely when he was head coach at Idaho and the extreme energy was nice at first and applauded.That said, losing made that continued rah-rah look high schoolish at times. I personally like his inter-hype but I still look at it with a guarded asterisk. Results sell tickets and that is the way it is. Excuses, even legitimate ones don't hold up too long with fans even in lower conferences. Time will tell.
Time will tell but he sure had the Sr. Haze Recruits in the right places and making plays last year...
The Boilers left too many points on the field with Whisky and that doomed our thin DL.

Hey, it happens! I played up to and thru High School loved the Sport. Was fortunate to start both Offense and Defense my Junior/Senior years. That said, I knew my limitations were not Big Ten football material. I still get mad as hell when I see dumb mental mistakes, poor execution and I've ranted a lot during the "Haze" era.
This year I know we dropped close games we should have won (EMU, NW, WI) and beat a team we likely had no business talent wise to have such a large margin of victory in tO$U.
No regrets about feelings. As a fan, focus on this week against a true hated rival IU and win the bucket.
I'm thinking about going to this game and giving it strong consideration. I see the temps are ok, but the forecast is showing rain at 50%...UGH.

THANK YOU..... Too many of this whiney ass. wanna blame somebody people complain when they have no clue. These KIDS are playing their collective ASSES off. Did they run out of gas? yeah! there are a legit 8 to 11 DEFENSIVE kids who are truly developmentally and or skill level ready the show the rest are simply not there yet. Not going to say they never will be but on a skilled unit, they would never see the light of day until garbage time. The lack of depth (that will be a nonfactor next year) is apparent and i for one would like to THANK COACH HOLT for all his hard work and his ability to get the most out of these kids. I won't say they haven't let me down at many times but they have also been the recipient of some bad breaks. Let's just hope we get to see EVERYONE next year so we can complain once more about something we know little about.

Reactions: Bippus33
Isn't the time right for you to buy a KU hat?
Why would it be? I think Myles is going to prove a lot of folks wrong, including maybe you. I would have gone with a proven coach (Gruden for example) over a guy who's just been at WKU as his premier job, and you know by now, I'm still not convinced Brohm is ever going to get above an average lower ranked bowl coach. Les is/was proven and I suspect he'll do much better at Kansas than Brohm will do here. That said, I'm not in any way hoping for Brohm to be a failure.

You obviously are big on Lesticles. He's got a new, nice looking hat on. Why wouldn't you root go join him?

I am not unless we are talking sheerly as presser and quote entertainment. Still waiting for him to make his first offensive adjustment in like a decade. Given that no I don't think he's going to be successful running a Bo/Woody offense in a conference that averages in the 50s.

You obviously are big on Lesticles. He's got a new, nice looking hat on. Why wouldn't you root go join him?

I am not unless we are talking sheerly as presser and quote entertainment. Still waiting for him to make his first offensive adjustment in like a decade. Given that no I don't think he's going to be successful running a Bo/Woody offense in a conference that averages in the 50s.
Comprehension with some is always a problem...I said I wanted him at PU because he's winner, he had recruits in his pocket, and I could care less if he runs or passes for 500 yards a game as long as the team wins. And he'd be here for 10 years.

I'm not a KU fan, but I'm guessing he'll do well. After all, Texas tossed Rick Barnes away because he wasn't winning big enough and what's happened to him at Tennessee? Old dogs can and do learn new tricks, but if it's worked for years, with the right talent it will work again. Too many folks want Air football, yet air football has to have a running game to set it up. And, Les has had his teams in two NC games, winning one, and has just two seasons in 16 years as a head coach that his teams weren't in a bowl game. Really is a moot point because someone else hired him, and PU just might be looking for another rising star after this weekend.

Oh, one other thing...Les' forte is coaching the line. Something PU needs so badly right now.

Last edited:
Say all you want, it diesn’ matter because Brohm is going home and his staff is going with him! It has been fun while it lasted and just for the best. I grew up while Mollenkopf and Young whet head coaches here, so good times can happen here.

There's really not much talent on that side of the ball that is physically ready to play B1G football thanks to the previous coach. Hard to call the guy out this year with what he's got to work with.

Sorry about the spelling. Meant to put pray for the best and where Mollenkopf & Young were coaches!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT