ADVERTISEMENT

Hokies were a bad matchup

James J Chitwood

Sophomore
Gold Member
Feb 15, 2013
and the game was still winnable. The big fella was ineffective, and Carsen had a rough couple minute stretch (he’s entitled to that with the load he has on him). The margin for error wasn’t big enough for both. They are fun to watch, and will be through all the ups and downs. There will probably be a lot of both with this team.

and the game was still winnable. The big fella was ineffective, and Carsen had a rough couple minute stretch (he’s entitled to that with the load he has on him). The margin for error wasn’t big enough for both. They are fun to watch, and will be through all the ups and downs. There will probably be a lot of both with this team.
No they were not.

VT was an ideal matchup. They have little to no depth with a decent big man who isn’t mobile. They struggle to rebound effectively and play aggressive defense, which should allow for easy inside looks.

This wasn’t a bad matchup...this was a piss poor half of basketball

I'm not buying that this is a bad matchup. In general, we have more quick perimeter defenders than usual. Ryan Cline is the only perimeter defender that we have that I would classify as bad. It is early in the season and we will be fine.

So literally every college team would be a bad matchup?
The teams that have perimeter players like VT will be a bad matchup for this team. This is not a recent development. I’m sure it was in the scouting report. Maybe you don’t know what literally literally means?

The teams that have perimeter players like VT will be a bad matchup for this team. This is not a recent development. I’m sure it was in the scouting report. Maybe you don’t know what literally literally means?
I strongly disagree. Nojel, Carsen, Hunter, Sasha, Wheeler, and Haarms all appear to adequately guard out to the perimeter. Grady has also been relatively good. However, Cline and Bourdreaux appear to have some limitations.

No they were not.

VT was an ideal matchup. They have little to no depth with a decent big man who isn’t mobile. They struggle to rebound effectively and play aggressive defense, which should allow for easy inside looks.

This wasn’t a bad matchup...this was a piss poor half of basketball
Purdue never had a low post passed teh ball that I can recall

I strongly disagree. Nojel, Carsen, Hunter, Sasha, Wheeler, and Haarms all appear to adequately guard out to the perimeter. Grady has also been relatively good. However, Cline and Bourdreaux appear to have some limitations.
I agree with you about Nojel and Carsen. Too early to tell on the three Frosh, but they weren’t + defenders tonight. Haarms?! For a 7’3” guy, sure. But he’s not stopping ball.

I agree with you about Nojel and Carsen. Too early to tell on the three Frosh, but they weren’t + defenders tonight. Haarms?! For a 7’3” guy, sure. But he’s not stopping ball.
Hunter does a pretty good job on teh ball, but he got watching the game and his player went backdoor for 2. You would love to have players that are good on the ball and off teh ball defensively...one is more physical (on ball) and the other more mental (off ball)

Va Tech presented some challenges for Purdue to be sure, but that's why teams play in these holiday tournaments. Losing that game isn't a bad thing as long as the team uses it as a learning experience and gets better. It doesn't have to be any worse than the loss to Tennessee or WKU last year.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
VT hit the shots they needed to and we were in a bad slump most of the 2nd half. Refs didn't help but neither did our TO's and our defensive breakdowns. This was a great game that will help this team grow throughout the year. We usually lose games like this in the tourney so playing a team like V-tech early on is crucial.

A team needs Big Ten caliber athletes to compete with other Top 50 caliber teams - - Matt Painter has not ever bought into that theory and maybe that is because he was a good player himself but not a great athlete. Lateral quickness is a major component of being able to stay in front of a dribbler - it is not the only factor but a major factor. Va Tech broke us down off of the dribble in the second half and we were never able to adjust. They also had a 4 minute hot streak where they made 5 outside shots in 6 trips down the court.

Game was very reminiscent of the Va Commonwealth NCAA Tournament game from several years ago. For the most part we recruit basketball players and try to turn them into elite athletes OR elite athletes that we try to turn into players - other Top 50 schools recruit kids who are both. It would be nice if Purdue could get kids who are both, but I am just about ready to acknowledge that will not happen in my lifetime - and I'm 57.

Reactions: walstib816
Honestly enjoyable game.Back and forth. .Pretty high level for early in the season. ..I see no shame in a loss to a top 15 team on a neutral court..
I thought our loss to Arkansas was worse..

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I'm not buying that this is a bad matchup. In general, we have more quick perimeter defenders than usual. Ryan Cline is the only perimeter defender that we have that I would classify as bad. It is early in the season and we will be fine.

Like what Sasha brought to table, but having him AND Cline out there together was a disaster on D in 2nd half. Cline in particular. Seeing it in person really cemented that view on just how slow he was to move his feet on defense. That said, not sure what other option we had with NE in foul trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT