ADVERTISEMENT

Hofstra

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Purdue -22.5 Total 144

Edey 23.5 pts 11.5 rebs
Loyer 11.5 pts 3.5 assts

I read that a top player for Hofstra is out tonight. Aaron Estrada. Erik's nephew presumably. Averaging 21, 5 and 4 and shooting 52% as a guard.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18 and DrEss
In that case, let the ChiPs fall where they may.

That deserves an appropriate level of Ponch and circumstance.

ponch-chips.gif

Gillis is out again tonight with back issue. Assuming it is just to rest him for Nebraska.

• Sad
Reactions: TX4GB
Gillis is out again tonight with back issue. Assuming it is just to rest him for Nebraska.
Did I understand CMP correctly during presser that he hurt it lifting weights? If so, that is not good. I get it accidents happen but you'd think that during the season they wouldn't be throwing around a lot of weights where you could get hurt. You'd like to think we could keep the injuries to the court, not the weight room.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Did I understand CMP correctly during presser that he hurt it lifting weights? If so, that is not good. I get it accidents happen but you'd think that during the season they wouldn't be throwing around a lot of weights where you could get hurt. You'd like to think we could keep the injuries to the court, not the weight room.
Come on, man. It happens.

Yep. Purdue basketball has included weightlifting in their weekly training program for over 40 years. They have a professional trainer overseeing the activities.
That was my point. You'd hope that it is very controlled and injuries would be minimal if they happen at all. The way CMP was talking he can't even walk right. I get it, there called accidents for a reason. Just frustrating to have a guy out for a weight lifting accident versus something happening on the court. Nothing more than that.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
That was my point. You'd hope that it is very controlled and injuries would be minimal if they happen at all. The way CMP was talking he can't even walk right. I get it, there called accidents for a reason. Just frustrating to have a guy out for a weight lifting accident versus something happening on the court. Nothing more than that.
The silver lining is that we have an abundance of talent at his position. If timing could be good for something like this, I suppose it is good now. It may even pay dividends later in the year with Furst and TKR getting more minutes.

I assume the trainer will investigate. If it happened because of faulty equipment, fix it and increase the frequency of inspections. If it happened because of unsafe lifting techniques, more oversight should fix it. I don't recall ever hearing of a Purdue athlete missing practice or a game after suffering an injury while weightlifting. Based on past reports and rumors, basketball racks are more dangerous. 😁

You understood correctly - injured during lifting. If it's muscle/tissue related, it's probably game-to-game, but those can last a couple of weeks, too. If it's disc-related, that's a whole 'nother level to deal with. Unfortunate for sure - lots of reasons beyond too much weight for what caused it, but I understand your point - you'd hope this wouldn't happen with all of the supervision and facilities management available @ Purdue.

Hopefully, the extra minutes load for Caleb Furst and Trey Kaufmann-Renn provides immediate dividends. The one thing they'll need to monitor is fouls.....don't have as much luxury there, and they both picked up a few against Minnesota. Not as much of a concern tonight, but if Gillis is out against Nebraska too, that adds a little more pressure to the pot.

The silver lining is that we have an abundance of talent at his position. If timing could be good for something like this, I suppose it is good now. It may even pay dividends later in the year with Furst and TKR getting more minutes.

I assume the trainer will investigate. If it happened because of faulty equipment, fix it and increase the frequency of inspections. If it happened because of unsafe lifting techniques, more oversight should fix it. I don't recall ever hearing of a Purdue athlete missing practice or a game after suffering an injury while weightlifting. Based on past reports and rumors, basketball racks are more dangerous. 😁
There is possibly no way to prevent an injury in weight lifting. Unless, you don't do it at all. I'm not trying to be rude, but most of the time it's not any faulty equipment or proper technique(not with a trainer or this level) It's that the body changes and sometimes fails or needs time to heal from overuse, but you have no clue until it fails. Then you rehab... happens in every sport.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
There is possibly no way to prevent an injury in weight lifting. Unless, you don't do it at all. I'm not trying to be rude, but most of the time it's not any faulty equipment or proper technique(not with a trainer or this level) It's that the body changes and sometimes fails or needs time to heal from overuse, but you have no clue until it fails. Then you rehab... happens in every sport.
I'm no weight lifting expert. But this was the first time I've ever heard one of our players miss a game/games because of weight lifting issue. I could be wrong but I don't remember one. That was the only reason I brought it up after hearing CMP say that is what happened.

I'm no weight lifting expert. But this was the first time I've ever heard one of our players miss a game/games because of weight lifting issue. I could be wrong but I don't remember one. That was the only reason I brought it up after hearing CMP say that is what happened.
I'm just saying. I've been around sports and pro
body builders as a weight lifter myself. I'm not trying to come across as a "Mr. Know-it-all all". Most injuries are from overuse. If you continually work the same muscle over and over it's eventually going to get injured. Unfortunately, it happens and nothing to prevent it.

You can wrench your back with no load .

I'll add that if you are already big and strong you need to lift at least pretty heavy weights to stay where you are. most are trying to get stronger.

I'll add that if you are already big and strong you need to lift at least pretty heavy weights to stay where you are. most are trying to get stronger.
Jay Cutler started to lift lighter, more contracted style of 8-10 reps, because of the injury prone of lifting heavy.

I get what you're saying. Most at that age want mass and will try to "out lift" everyone. I started to change that style when I was 38-40. Now, I try and stick with a Jay Cutler style to prevent a more serious injury that is underlying. Most of my friends are the same as the weight lifting world has changed.

Anyone remember the specific problem Robbie had with his back?

It was back in his sophomore season '08/'09 - IIRC, it was a hairline fracture in his lower back, and he wore a brace. Plagued him most of the regular season but was better in the post-season. Then he played in the World University Games in the early summer prior to his junior season.

Reactions: boilernuke
I think I know what you are saying, but I disagree that "There is possibly no way to prevent an injury in weight lifting." I would hope that the Purdue trainer would also disagree, since his job is to see that the athletes build strength safely. As I stated, before this incident, I have never heard of a Purdue athlete being held out of a game due to a weightlifting injury. Never. For decades, thousands of football players, basketball players, and wrestlers have lifted weights throughout the season, and we don't hear about this.

I think I know what you are saying, but I disagree that "There is possibly no way to prevent an injury in weight lifting." I would hope that the Purdue trainer would also disagree, since his job is to see that the athletes build strength safely. As I stated, before this incident, I have never heard of a Purdue athlete being held out of a game due to a weightlifting injury. Never. For decades, thousands of football players, basketball players, and wrestlers have lifted weights throughout the season, and we don't hear about this.
Are you serious?? Once again, they may not disclose or label it a weight lifting injury. Most back injury's in athletics are caused from weight lifting. In fact next time at your gym ask the personal trainer or talk to an orthopedic surgeon.

I have back issues from weight lifting over years, not from improper posture, sports or technique. My orthopedic surgeon said it's do from repeated weight compression on my back. Honestly, it's common knowledge within any gym.

I have seen more back injury's from doing squats and most athlete's use this weight training most.

Are you serious?? Once again, they may not disclose or label it a weight lifting injury. Most back injury's in athletics are caused from weight lifting. In fact next time at your gym ask the personal trainer or talk to an orthopedic surgeon.

I have back issues from weight lifting over years, not from improper posture, sports or technique. My orthopedic surgeon said it's do from repeated weight compression on my back. Honestly, it's common knowledge within any gym.

I have seen more back injury's from doing squats and most athlete's use this weight training most.
Yes, I am serious. Not sure what was stated in my post that you considered otherwise. The way you are describing it, we should be seeing multiple back injuries from our athletes weight training every year. Again, hundreds of athletes are weightlifting at Purdue every year. If you have seen those reports, please link them.

Yes, I am serious. Not sure what was stated in my post that you considered otherwise. The way you are describing it, we should be seeing multiple back injuries from our athletes weight training every year. Again, hundreds of athletes are weightlifting at Purdue every year. If you have seen those reports, please link them.

This might be the most common thing that is in weight lifting and weight lifting is the most common training in sports. Why do you see so many athlete's out of games due from back injury's.

If, this argument is triggered from a very old post about a picture of you being posted by an IU troll and I said he needed to "hit the gym". He mocked me, laughed and said it was a picture of you. I apologized and hope this hasn't brought you back to that post. Once again, this is very common in sports/weight training and I apologize for that old post.... again.

Last edited:
Hmmm.

First, I didnot even consider this an "argument". Based on your emotional responses, you do.

Second, I have no idea what you are referring to about an IU troll posting a picture of me. Did that really happen? It seems to have had a great emotional impact on you, though, because it seems like a very strange thing to bring it up here. And to apologize to me for something you claim an IU troll did...? Strange.

Finally, you continue to claim that "so many athlete's out of games due from back injury's", but you or anyone else here can not provide a list from the thousands of Purdue athletes over several decades. Instead you provided general links completely unrelated to Purdue athletics.

Not sure why this is such an emotional topic for you. If it's because you still hold a grudge for the IU fan mocking you (as you say), and you somehow link that to me, let it go. I was not involved, and have absolutely no knowledge of the event.

Hmmm.

First, I didnot even consider this an "argument". Based on your emotional responses, you do.

Second, I have no idea what you are referring to about an IU troll posting a picture of me. Did that really happen? It seems to have had a great emotional impact on you, though, because it seems like a very strange thing to bring it up here. And to apologize to me for something you claim an IU troll did...? Strange.

Finally, you continue to claim that "so many athlete's out of games due from back injury's", but you or anyone else here can not provide a list from the thousands of Purdue athletes over several decades. Instead you provided general links completely unrelated to Purdue athletics.

Not sure why this is such an emotional topic for you. If it's because you still hold a grudge for the IU fan mocking you (as you say), and you somehow link that to me, let it go. I was not involved, and have absolutely no knowledge of the event.
Right....I think you keep it going by responding to my posts.

I provided you links that talked about athletes in general that relate to back injury's. You have provided zero substance to this and I mean zero. This is a common injury with athlete's and Purdue has plenty. I'm sorry you have never experienced playing sports or possibly weight lifting, but being a Purdue fan doesn't make you understand the injury.

I

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
Right....I think you keep it going by responding to my posts.

I provided you links that talked about athletes in general that relate to back injury's. You have provided zero substance to this and I mean zero. This is a common injury with athlete's and Purdue has plenty. I'm sorry you have never experienced playing sports or possibly weight lifting, but being a Purdue fan doesn't make you understand the injury.

I
lol, You have no idea, Mr. Superjock.

Based on your irrational "arguements", methinks your weightlifting injuries were concentrated more above the neck than the back, if you know what I mean. 😁

• Sad
Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
Injuries happen. I don't think a single injury during weightlifting means the entire strength and conditioning program is flawed.

Hopefully Gillus will return in time to form and TKR and Furst will benefit from increased minutes at 4

Jay Cutler started to lift lighter, more contracted style of 8-10 reps, because of the injury prone of lifting heavy.

I get what you're saying. Most at that age want mass and will try to "out lift" everyone. I started to change that style when I was 38-40. Now, I try and stick with a Jay Cutler style to prevent a more serious injury that is underlying. Most of my friends are the same as the weight lifting world has changed.
I've been on machines using the old nautilus principles for 40+ years. Slow controlled movements keeping load on the muscle through the entire range of motion. Works amazingly well and so many less injuries. 63 now.
The kids are all trying to get as big as they can as fast as they can.

Reactions: Poprudy
I've been on machines using the old nautilus principles for 40+ years. Slow controlled movements keeping load on the muscle through the entire range of motion. Works amazingly well and so many less injuries. 63 now.
The kids are all trying to get as big as they can as fast as they can.
Good for you. This helps with your endorphins. Agree, the more controlled and stable workout has less micro-tear and shorter time for rehabilitation of the muscle.

I hope at 63 I'm still getting at it.

Good for you. This helps with your endorphins. Agree, the more controlled and stable workout has less micro-tear and shorter time for rehabilitation of the muscle.

I hope at 63 I'm still getting at it.
Unless you suddenly become ok with being "normal" (weak imo) you will.
90% of what we think of as aging is more loss of muscle and fitness and general dis-use of our body than anything "breaking down".
Use it or lose it is one the absolutes in life.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Unless you suddenly become ok with being "normal" (weak imo) you will.
90% of what we think of as aging is more loss of muscle and fitness and general dis-use of our body than anything "breaking down".
Use it or lose it is one the absolutes in life.
I agree completely.

I wrestled at Purdue and afterward, then switched to another sport. My preference was always free weights for the benefit to stabilizer muscles. I also spend time on staying flexible. Bad diet and being a couch potato are most people's downfall. I think that fits in the "general dis-use" you mentioned. I'm 65 now and I'm still very active.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT