ADVERTISEMENT

Hindsight being 20/20, Nic Moore would have been a great fit on this team.

RegionWarrior101

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2014
2-1-9
Watching him on TV again and you wonder... A lot of schools missed on him out of Warsaw with the lack of size and injury, but the kid is a pro talent now at SMU. A RS year and he could be the 1 on this team. He was one of the moore exciting HS players I ever saw live.

Watching him on TV again and you wonder... A lot of schools missed on him out of Warsaw with the lack of size and injury, but the kid is a pro talent now at SMU. A RS year and he could be the 1 on this team. He was one of the moore exciting HS players I ever saw live.
Agree 100%. He kept Warsaw in the game for 3 quarters against North Central's 5 P5 players in the state title game, proving he was able to create and make shots against bigger, stronger players. But there is really no reason he would have redshirted, so we wouldn't have him this year anyway.

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
Agree 100%. He kept Warsaw in the game for 3 quarters against North Central's 5 P5 players in the state title game, proving he was able to create and make shots against bigger, stronger players. But there is really no reason he would have redshirted, so we wouldn't have him this year anyway.
I just assumed he would have RS LewJacks senior year with Terone Johnson on the roster as well. Our two kids we brought in that year? Donnie Hale and Jacob Lawson.

Agree. Most people like to talk about how we missed on some McDonalds AA that chose Duke or MSU over us. Here was a kid that was only an offer away from being a Boiler out of high school and we (along with everyone else) missed on him. Not sure he would've redshirted for us so there's no guarantee he would be playing this year but assuming we had him instead of Ronnie Johnson I think this program doesn't fall nearly as far post Baby Boilers as it did. Probably the one player i'd say we really "missed" on.

Agree. Most people like to talk about how we missed on some McDonalds AA that chose Duke or MSU over us. Here was a kid that was only an offer away from being a Boiler out of high school and we (along with everyone else) missed on him. Not sure he would've redshirted for us so there's no guarantee he would be playing this year but assuming we had him instead of Ronnie Johnson I think this program doesn't fall nearly as far post Baby Boilers as it did. Probably the one player i'd say we really "missed" on.
He comes to mind, I also think Glenn Robinson III. Painter admitted that one to people at a local event he missed on that one. Getting pantsed by Izzo and MSU with Dawson set us back as well.

He comes to mind, I also think Glenn Robinson III. Painter admitted that one to people at a local event he missed on that one. Getting pantsed by Izzo and MSU with Dawson set us back as well.
And GR3 was asked by JMV recently how he didn't end up at Purdue, and he made it clear the main reason was he was never offered. He said nothing about preferring Michigan, wanting a fresh start, to make his own name, etc.

I could careless about Dawson, thug that he is. GR3 and Gary Harris are the 2 that really bug me. And Nic of course.

Last edited:
And GR3 was asked by JMV recently how he didn't end up at Purdue, and he made it clear the main reason was he was never offered. He said nothing about preferring Michigan, wanting a fresh start, to make his own name, etc.

I could careless about Dawson, thug that he is. GR3 and Gary Harris are the 2 that really bug me. And Nic of course.
I'd still settle for getting Glyn Watson and JP Macura.

It's hard to have too many regrets about the 2012 class considering the circumstances. Of course that was during a down period post baby Boilers and Painter knew he needed to get involved early on some guys to get a recruiting advantage.

Our class was as follows:
Ray Davis
Jay Simpson
Ronnie Johnson
AJ Hammons

At the time Davis, GR3 was widely considered a MAC level recruit, while Davis was a projected top 100 4-star guy. Ray is basically the guy we got instead of GR3. For his offensive shortcomings, I'd have a hard time trading him and his defensive prowess and leadership over the last 4 years.

Simpson was basically a poor man's Swanigan, and may have had similar success if not for the unpredictable health issue. If I recall we were also starting to get competition from hometown Illinois for him. Painter couldn't afford not to pull the trigger early and risk ending up with another Hale/Bade/Carroll power forward.

Next came RJ, who was a top 100 4-star PG with a family connection. No brainer (at the time). There would have been similar remorse if he went on to be a super star PG somewhere else.

Finally, the final open spot Purdue had at the time GR3 committed to UM was then filled by AJ. Can you imagine the past 3-4 years without AJ? Maybe we would have found a potential all conference center in the 2013 class, but probably not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT