ADVERTISEMENT

High-low

Jun 25, 2015
Was that the best the team has worked the high-low against the zone(s) and traps this season? It seemed like they had it figured out for the most part, especially down the stretch. Having Biggie back helps.

Was that the best the team has worked the high-low against the zone(s) and traps this season? It seemed like they had it figured out for the most part, especially down the stretch. Having Biggie back helps.
I think so. That was my observation from the game. We were patient on both ends. Kick it back out then dump it down. The other thing that stood out to me was the limited number of 3's attempted. This to me shows how well the hi-lo worked.

I think so. That was my observation from the game. We were patient on both ends. Kick it back out then dump it down. The other thing that stood out to me was the limited number of 3's attempted. This to me shows how well the hi-lo worked.
I agree. It helped that Nebraska had no answer for Hammons and Haas, but Purdue's passing and decision making was the best I've seen from them, this season.

I think they were a little smaller inside than some other teams Purdue has played and ALSO think the refs allowed AJ to be more physical on the offensive side. Wish Haas was allowed to have space without the refs going to the monitor to see if he accidentally hit someone that deliberately placed their head in the way to hope the refs would penalize Haas. IF that happened Haas would also turn it over less...

They were decent against Ohio State. This was more consistent, although against a bit easier competition. Maryland will be tough. They are getting better with it though.

We also had good spacing yesterday & the lane didn't seem as clogged as a result. Spacing combined with bigs posting closer to the center of the lane as opposed to outside the block made it more difficult for Nebraska guards to harass the post.

I agree. It helped that Nebraska had no answer for Hammons and Haas, but Purdue's passing and decision making was the best I've seen from them, this season.
Maybe for another thread - but how much would Kendall Stephens paying changed this? We know his penchant for throwing up shots and people have been critical of his shot selection. There were maybe a handful of times when we went down the floor and immediately jacked up a shot. The rest of the time we were patient with the offense.

Maybe for another thread - but how much would Kendall Stephens paying changed this? We know his penchant for throwing up shots and people have been critical of his shot selection. There were maybe a handful of times when we went down the floor and immediately jacked up a shot. The rest of the time we were patient with the offense.

Go back to the beach and leave this topic alone.

There was a sequence in the Nebraska game -- at about the 13:50 mark of the first half -- that looked like text book execution on this point.

Edwards fed Haas from the top of the key. Nebraska immediately doubled him (maybe tripled, I forget). Isaac kept the ball high and immediately passed back to Edwards who was then wide open and drained a three.

It won't always be that easy, but that play illustrated how a post feed can lead to an open 3, especially if the guy defending the post feeder collapses into the paint with the ball.

Reactions: BandofBoilers
Kendall is actually one of our best post feeders.
I agree. However, my point was purely about how potentially the game would have been different - in terms of shot selection if KS was playing. Again, purely based on the patience we showed on the hi-lo aspect. This is in context of how quickly KS pulls the trigger. Its purely a hypothetical what if. I miss having the kid in the games. Just a thought...

Spacing combined with bigs posting closer to the center of the lane as opposed to outside the block made it more difficult for Nebraska guards to harass the post.
This a huge improvement for the post. The post feeders will need to be patient as the big has to move in and out to avoid 3 second calls but the difficulty it causes the defensive wings is tremendous. It's six more feet to get to the dig and six more to cover the kickout.

Reactions: BandofBoilers
Yep we looked much better but remember Nebraska's bigs were lightweight freshman and no match for our size and maturity. Much like a HS varsity playing a 7th grade team in the middle. We'll have games where this will be true and we'll also have games against size and maturity like Iowa and this page will be filled with teeth gnashing and Painter bashing and discussion of how AHJ is too timid as a player. OT, anybody think they ought to check for bent rims after Haas fires up one of those flat shots the somehow hits the side of the rim then bends it enough to crawl over the top and in?

Kendall's trigger hasn't been nearly as quick recently. It's also been a while since he's played big minutes. I don't think that this had much, if anything, to do with Kendall not being there. It had a lot to do with greatly improved play from Hammons and Davis, who were both tremendous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT