ADVERTISEMENT

Here's today's Purdue football press conference

NVboiler

Sophomore
Jul 6, 2018

As you see, you can guess all you want, but little will be said during the process.

Hearing that, in my mind there is a real strong chance we have brian brohm and hagin as our head coach and def coordinator

"Quietly preparing for some time...." Good to hear, certainly doesn't sound like they were blindsided. Now if they've just made that call to the Hoff.

• Haha
Reactions: New Pal Boiler
I hope so. Wouldn't be the end of the world if we kept Brian, but I personally would much rather go a different direction.
I think Clawson or Campbell fit the bill. Clawson signed an extension last Nov. and I think a change of scenery and getting closer to home would be in store for Campbell

Reactions: rgarlitz
Hagen is just a good man, period. At the Northwestern game at Wrigley Field, he went out of his way to find Aiden O'Connell on the bus and bring him to take a picture with my son. Who does that? Pure class guy.

But, isn't he an IU guy?

I think Clawson or Campbell fit the bill. Clawson signed an extension last Nov. and I think a change of scenery and getting closer to home would be in store for Campbell
Campbell is intriguing. Reading up on him he's passed on seemingly better opportunities in the past. Not sure why he'd come to Purdue.

Reactions: rgarlitz
I hope so. Wouldn't be the end of the world if we kept Brian, but I personally would much rather go a different direction.
Imo, it sends the wrong message to name him the interim coach. Time to move on. Not his fault his last name is brohm but still.

Imo, it sends the wrong message to name him the interim coach. Time to move on. Not his fault his last name is brohm but still.
Agree, time to move on. Hiring Brian as coach just doesn't move the needle either. Let's get someone with head coach experience. We certainly have the money for it.

It doesn’t appear BoBO is in any real big hurry to hire a new coach. This is rather odd as he knew this day was coming. And one would speculate he already had a few contacts made before the Brohm leaving news was made public.

This would leave me to believe he’s negotiating with either an assistant coach who is part of a significant bowl game. Or an nfl coach waiting for their team to be eliminated!

Then again the UTSA coach has denied he’s going anywhere several times, so it must be him!

When Brohm was hired, his name was one of the first names mentioned as a possibility.

It’s sad that Purdue is not considered as a final destination, but rather as a stepping stone job where Younger coaches learn what it’s like to coach a Division I school.

Looking back, Purdue usually hires a young coach with a short resume wanting a challenge and a chance to make a name for themselves. Even Tiller and Young were sort of unknown young coaches . Akers and Agassi were the exception. They were established coaches who were terrible at Purdue.

Reactions: Boiler8285
It doesn’t appear BoBO is in any real big hurry to hire a new coach. This is rather odd as he knew this day was coming. And one would speculate he already had a few contacts made before the Brohm leaving news was made public.

This would leave me to believe he’s negotiating with either an assistant coach who is part of a significant bowl game. Or an nfl coach waiting for their team to be eliminated!

Then again the UTSA coach has denied he’s going anywhere several times, so it must be him!

When Brohm was hired, his name was one of the first names mentioned as a possibility.

It’s sad that Purdue is not considered as a final destination, but rather as a stepping stone job where Younger coaches learn what it’s like to coach a Division I school.

Looking back, Purdue usually hires a young coach with a short resume wanting a challenge and a chance to make a name for themselves. Even Tiller and Young were sort of unknown young coaches . Akers and Agassi were the exception. They were established coaches who were terrible at Purdue.

I'm not sure how you come up with these terrible takes. But somehow you do.

Bobinski is moving as fast as possible in hiring someone. It took UofL 4 days to close the deal with Brohm. And they knew he was the guy. But you think all of a sudden we can go the thru the process of finding AND hiring the right fit for Purdue in a couple of days? I mean, how moronic of a take is that?

Secondarily, you apparently didn't even watch the press conference. It's clear from his comments that Purdue has significant interest from coaches that we never would have had a chance with in 2016.

I'm done reading your idiocy on this coaching search. You make comments about things without even Googling to find out if it's remotely true. Do you just enjoy writing nonsense thinking that it makes you look smart?

Would not label Purdue as a stepping stone for a head coach. Tiller was here 10 yrs, Hopeless and Hazmed were fired, Brohm was here for 6 yrs.

Tiller was 55, not real old, but definitely not young. Jim Young was 42, fairly young. Recall watching Wyoming before Tiller was hired. Exciting offense. Young was at Arizona. Prior to Brohm, Young was the only successful head coach to leave.

Yeah, last time it seemed there was a good list of candidates right out of the gate. The lists im seeing dont spark a lot of enthusiasm for me.

I remember wanting Brohm before the season was even over.

Yeah, last time it seemed there was a good list of candidates right out of the gate. The lists im seeing dont spark a lot of enthusiasm for me.

I remember wanting Brohm before the season was even over.

Where is the list you're seeing and who is the list from? Bobinski hasn't released a list of candidates. So I'm not sure how you can be unenthused about it...

Ok, to answer several points. Tiller, hope, young, Hazell and Brohm. We’re all coaches without huge established records at big name schools.

You can make the argument that Hazell came to Purdue with intention of using it as a step stone. You can make the point that Brohm came to Purdue as a stepping stone before going to the job he really wanted! Tiller was relatively old, but his head coaching job was not really at a power school. Hope used Purdue as a stepping stone from the school he was coaching at. young came to Purdue on his way to his dream job.

My point is none of those coaches came to Purdue as a lateral move from another big time college program. And after Hazell’s coaching job at Purdue, no big school was really interested in him. So he took a job with the Vikings. The same was true about Hope. No other big time school wanted him.

I love posters that claim they put me on ignore and then argue with me and then say for the 50th time they are placing me on ignore.

There were many posts on this board by respected posters that Morgan had basically fired Hope after the Minnesota game. And had made a verbal agreement to hire the Northern Illinois coach to replace him. But he decided to take the nc state job.

This makes me speculate as part of the last contract negotiations that BoBO knew that Brohm was going to leave sooner than later. And as an intelligent ad, he was not taken by surprise and that he must have had several coaches lined up as potential replacements.

As for transparency, I have to believe Louisville and Brohm were communicating privately with each other long before this week. I also have to believe BoBO is not revealing everything he knows to the public or fans!

To the fans out there, it wasn’t Brohm who informed you he was leaving Purdue. It wasn’t BoBO either. His move was leaked and then denied and then admitted it was the truth. As deals go, Negotiations take more than 4 days! And typically each AD is aware that private negotiations are taking place.

Look at cincy. They lost a coach and hired a new one within a week! A logical person has to believe this process was taking place long before it was revealed publicly. And the same is true about Louisville. On the surface it would appear to be a very quick hire. But the logical person knows the Louisville coach knew Louisville wanted to hire Brohm and that the two have been in ongoing contact for the last 4 years. While not accused of tampering, it wasn’t really a secret Brohm would be going back.

I suspect what BoBO provided in his press conference wasn’t the entire story, but rather the story he wanted the fans to hear. He had to have someone coach the team at the citrus bowl. You can speculate about the next hire all you want, but BoBO doesn’t appear to be in any real hurry to hire a new coach

Where is the list you're seeing and who is the list from? Bobinski hasn't released a list of candidates. So I'm not sure how you can be unenthused about it...
There are lists all over the internet most of which have a lot of the same names.

You're right Bobo's list is the only one that matters.

The point I was trying to make was last time around it felt there were some good names out of the gate that Purdue genuinely had a good chance of getting, Brohm being one of them.

Not really feeling that way this time around.

Ok, to answer several points. Tiller, hope, young, Hazell and Brohm. We’re all coaches without huge established records at big name schools.

You can make the argument that Hazell came to Purdue with intention of using it as a step stone. You can make the point that Brohm came to Purdue as a stepping stone before going to the job he really wanted! Tiller was relatively old, but his head coaching job was not really at a power school. Hope used Purdue as a stepping stone from the school he was coaching at. young came to Purdue on his way to his dream job.

My point is none of those coaches came to Purdue as a lateral move from another big time college program. And after Hazell’s coaching job at Purdue, no big school was really interested in him. So he took a job with the Vikings. The same was true about Hope. No other big time school wanted him.

I love posters that claim they put me on ignore and then argue with me and then say for the 50th time they are placing me on ignore.

There were many posts on this board by respected posters that Morgan had basically fired Hope after the Minnesota game. And had made a verbal agreement to hire the Northern Illinois coach to replace him. But he decided to take the nc state job.

This makes me speculate as part of the last contract negotiations that BoBO knew that Brohm was going to leave sooner than later. And as an intelligent ad, he was not taken by surprise and that he must have had several coaches lined up as potential replacements.

As for transparency, I have to believe Louisville and Brohm were communicating privately with each other long before this week. I also have to believe BoBO is not revealing everything he knows to the public or fans!

To the fans out there, it wasn’t Brohm who informed you he was leaving Purdue. It wasn’t BoBO either. His move was leaked and then denied and then admitted it was the truth. As deals go, Negotiations take more than 4 days! And typically each AD is aware that private negotiations are taking place.

Look at cincy. They lost a coach and hired a new one within a week! A logical person has to believe this process was taking place long before it was revealed publicly. And the same is true about Louisville. On the surface it would appear to be a very quick hire. But the logical person knows the Louisville coach knew Louisville wanted to hire Brohm and that the two have been in ongoing contact for the last 4 years. While not accused of tampering, it wasn’t really a secret Brohm would be going back.

I suspect what BoBO provided in his press conference wasn’t the entire story, but rather the story he wanted the fans to hear. He had to have someone coach the team at the citrus bowl. You can speculate about the next hire all you want, but BoBO doesn’t appear to be in any real hurry to hire a new coach
We can't even compare this pending hire to any other because of the changes to college football over the past three years. The new modern age is here and even it will be gone in two more years.....

Seems like either Brian wins the job at the bowl game or the western ky coach would be interesting within offensive specialty. Also seems brian was doing a lot of coaching this year just by the looks of it wouldn't be mad at either hire

The main concern with Brian might be a conflict of interest in recruiting KY, which I’d think is where most of his close contacts are. Poaching a top kid from Trinity might make for an awkward Thanksgiving dinner next year 😂

Watching Brohm’s intro presser, I came away thinking Brian is hanging back to do us a solid and finish the job this year for our kids. Class act, no doubt, and makes me respect the entire Brohm clan even more.

My guess is that it’s a stopgap to encourage the players to show up and compete at the bowl game…

The timing of this ( in terms of bowl game prep) sucks, but I’m hoping that bowl game prep is totally separate from the HC search.

Reactions: decontain
There are lists all over the internet most of which have a lot of the same names.

You're right Bobo's list is the only one that matters.

The point I was trying to make was last time around it felt there were some good names out of the gate that Purdue genuinely had a good chance of getting, Brohm being one of them.

Not really feeling that way this time around.

That's your opinion. Which is fine. I disagree.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
ADVERTISEMENT