ADVERTISEMENT

Heartbreaking loss for IU last night

Jan 3, 2018
Southern Indiana
At home, in the second round of the NCAA vs Miami. They really struggled all game to score and never led. I know they’re our rival, but I like their team and especially their coach (a Boiler!) - so I pull for them whenever they’re not playing Purdue.
Feel bad for Berger & Holmes. Tough way to end careers, especially at home.

Kind of ironic that both IU teams lost to Miami. Ugh. My first time to see the Cavender (sp?) twins play.

Berger did not have her usual clutch moments in the 4th Q, and missed a crucial shot with under 30 seconds to play. IU still had a chance- with about 3 seconds - drove the length of the court but lost control at the top of the key, surrendered a steal, never got a shot off.
Kind of a microcosm of their night.

But Big 10 still got 3 teams to S16. Better than the mens’ side of the league

Reactions: Boilermb and DocRon
At home, in the second round of the NCAA vs Miami. They really struggled all game to score and never led. I know they’re our rival, but I like their team and especially their coach (a Boiler!) - so I pull for them whenever they’re not playing Purdue.

Kind of ironic that both IU teams lost to Miami. Ugh. My first time to see the Cavender (sp?) twins play.

Berger did not have her usual clutch moments in the 4th Q, and missed a crucial shot with under 30 seconds to play. IU still had a chance- with about 3 seconds - drove the length of the court but lost control at the top of the key, surrendered a steal, never got a shot off.

You’re a better man than me, Jeff. I never root for an IU team. 😏

Both Holmes and Scalia have committed to coming back for their Covid year. Which is another reason IU really lucked out. They are going to be fortunate enough to have 2 program changers (Berger and Holmes) for 5-year spans. That’s more than enough time to move a once meddling program into a fully realized power. Iowa is also in a similar position. Imagine if Steph white, Ukari, KD, KG and Wright each had a Covid year. This is precisely why it’s so hard for an aspiring program like Purdue to build through mainly developing freshmen. We are going up against our experienced conference rivals that have their star players as 4-5-6 year players. Good luck with that.

IU women ended the season much like the Purdue men. They peaked too early and def weren’t playing their best come tournament time, losing 3 of their final 5 games. But at least the Purdue men have youth on their side and didn’t lose in front of 14k fans in their home stadium. I heard their players talk when they played us - I hate it for the B10 as a conference but I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone associated with that program. Unfortunately mainly due to luck - Berger will be a loss but they just need to add an impact transfer and they’ll be just as talented next year.

Last edited:

The PG Cavinder was a decent player, better than I thought she would be. Miami played a heck of a game, tough to root for that school, was hoping IU would win.

Funny Twitter comment I saw (directed at IU) —. “Y’all lost to a couple of TikTok influencers”. Made me chuckle.

Parallels to Purdue men are spot on. Forgot they lost several down the home stretch

Funny Twitter comment I saw (directed at IU) —. “Y’all lost to a couple of TikTok influencers”. Made me chuckle.

Parallels to Purdue men are spot on. Forgot they lost several down the home stretch
Those girls sure have made a ton of money, even my wife who doesn’t follow sports very closely knew who they were.

I think a large part of why IU lost is Moren is laughably awful at developing and utilizing her bench. They play their starters 30-40 minutes every night, and only play one or two subs in most games and very few minutes at that. If one of their starters has a bad night, they have no one to turn to, and if two of them are off, IU is primed for being upset. IMO you need 8-9 players that are getting double digit minutes that you are developing and utilizing. More than 9 and players are not getting enough minutes to make a good impact, less than 8 you are not preparing yourself for bad nights and injuries.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Damn Michael.....I'm just amazed that you aren't being paid millions to coach women's college basketball. I mean you are constantly telling us that you are smarter than Coach Gearlds. Now you are claiming that you are smarter than the coach of the Big Ten's top program. Lol. Are you smarter than Coach Bluder at Iowa too?

Damn Michael.....I'm just amazed that you aren't being paid millions to coach women's college basketball. I mean you are constantly telling us that you are smarter than Coach Gearlds. Now you are claiming that you are smarter than the coach of the Big Ten's top program. Lol. Are you smarter than Coach Bluder at Iowa too?
I am smarter than you for sure because I know that to have an educated opinion is not the same as being a great coach. But hee haw and have your laughs, it only shows how smart you are or are not.

• Haha
Michael sees no distinction between expressing his opinion as opposed to name calling/being obnoxious.

Michael sees no distinction between expressing his opinion as opposed to name calling/being obnoxious.

I am smarter than you for sure because I know that to have an educated opinion is not the same as being a great coach. But hee haw and have your laughs, it only shows how smart you are or are not.
You are right about one thing. You are always good for a laugh. Lol.

Reactions: DocRon
" Now you are claiming that you are smarter than the coach of the Big Ten's top program."

Turns out that Iowa is the top program in the B1G

" Now you are claiming that you are smarter than the coach of the Big Ten's top program."

Turns out that Iowa is the top program in the B1G
They are in the tournament this year that's for sure. They also have the best player in the country. I still think IU was the best team. That's the thing about a single elimination tournament. Sometimes the best team doesn't win. Ask South Carolina. Lol.

Reactions: DocRon
They are in the tournament this year that's for sure. They also have the best player in the country. I still think IU was the best team. That's the thing about a single elimination tournament. Sometimes the best team doesn't win. Ask South Carolina. Lol.
I agree with you, IU probably is the best team, in this case the nations best player is playing out of her mind taking her team for a magical ride.

It was a little bittersweet to see Kayana Traylor playing for Virginia Tech. She played a good game. I wish she would have stayed at Purdue. But if she wasn't happy, then leaving was the best decision and she got to play in a Final 4.

It was a little bittersweet to see Kayana Traylor playing for Virginia Tech. She played a good game. I wish she would have stayed at Purdue. But if she wasn't happy, then leaving was the best decision and she got to play in a Final 4.
If she had stayed she would have been all Big Ten but would not have been in the Final Four. Yes, that is the one transfer which really, really made me sad.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT