ADVERTISEMENT

Have you ever seen a game in Ass Hall?

proudopete

All-American
Jan 26, 2010
Let’s hear some stories.

I have been to two games in the thunder dome

The first game was a dagger by Chad Austin at the end of regulation. I was sitting up under the balcony which is a horrible seat. I remember being up by 11 or so at the half and having fans in the concourse accepting defeat as I walked by. Some fans were nasty to me but I felt safe and left without any issues.

The second game was the very next year. Yep, Chad Austin again and this time it was in overtime. I had seats once again around row 35 which is like watching a game from space. My friend dared me to try and get down into the lower arena as we were pretty drunk. Once overtime began we began to make our move and did reach around row 6 while standing in the aisle. Nobody came to ask me to move as the entire place was standing. I watched with glee as row 6 mid court is an awesome seat and it didn’t hurt that the place was rocking. Once again, down to final possession, literally feet away from me, Chad drives from right to left, lifts up and Bullseye! Truly a neat experience and if you have the right seats, Ass Hall isn’t too bad of a place to see a game. The fans this time around were much saltier as they were still reeling from the previous year. I did get some popcorn thrown down at me from row 40 or so but I once again felt safe(ish).

I personally wouldn’t see another game there unless someone gave me good seats and it was against Purdue, the fans have changed as the old guard gets older. I suspect that any Purdue fans in the house tomorrow will get quite the treatment as the fanbase is in desperation mode while also fearing our rise to national dominance. Good times back then and great times now.

Let’s hear some stories.

The first game was a dagger by Chad Austin at the end of regulation. I was sitting up under the balcony which is a horrible seat. I remember being up by 11 or so at the half and having fans in the concourse accepting defeat as I walked by. Some fans were nasty to me but I felt safe and left without any issues.

The second game was the very next year. Yep, Chad Austin again and this time it was in overtime. I had seats once again around row 35 which is like watching a game from space. My friend dared me to try and get down into the lower arena as we were pretty drunk. Once overtime began we began to make our move and did reach around row 6 while standing in the aisle. Nobody came to ask me to move as the entire place was standing. I watched with glee as row 6 mid court is an awesome seat and it didn’t hurt that the place was rocking. Once again, down to final possession, literally feet away from me, Chad drives from right to left, lifts up and Bullseye! Truly a neat experience and if you have the right seats, Ass Hall isn’t too bad of a place to see a game. The fans this time around were much saltier as they were still reeling from the previous year. I did get some popcorn thrown down at me from row 40 or so but I once again felt safe(ish).

I personally wouldn’t see another game there unless someone gave me good seats and it was against Purdue, the fans have changed as the old guard gets older. I suspect that any Purdue fans in the house tomorrow will get quite the treatment as the fanbase is in desperation mode while also fearing our rise to national dominance. Good times back then and great times now.
As for the crowd, no problems, most people are good people, always a few that ruin it for everyone.

Couple of times of late, Carson Edward's dunk on Newkirk game, enough fans there you could hear Boiler Up over the IU faithful. And the ugly ass game when Haarms tipped in at the end of the game, both teams couldn't hit crap that game.

As for the crowd, no problems, most people are good people, always a few that ruin it for everyone.
no

Id say most of their crowd outside of ASS hall are generally good people. But once they are inside that building it does something crazy to them and they frequently become vile a-holes intoxicated by IU folklore, entitlement and dreams of '87

Reactions: purduepat1969
DrEss and I went to the Feb. 29, 2000 game at the Hall. Purdue had a chance to win a share of the B10 title with MSU if it won. No such luck. IU had a double-digit halftime lead, and Purdue could never get over the hump in the second half. Last game RMK coached at the Hall. I followed that up by watching Illinois beat IU in the B10 Tourney. The last game RMK coached for IU. Although, nobody knew it at the time.

As far as I'm concerned, the Hall blows for watching basketball. But, it has to be a hell of a lot of fun to be there when Purdue wins.

My only trip was in February 2019 for that 48-46 rock fight. A Matt Haarms tip-in won it for the Boilers. It was a very satisfying finish to an otherwise forgettable game. The IU student section had been on Haarms the entire game.

Indiana wasn't very good that year, so I got a single ticket less than 20 rows up on the side opposite the team benches, almost at mid-court, for a very reasonable price--about $75 I think. The Indiana fans around me were very pleasant.

The game itself was pretty abysmal. Carsen Edwards shot 4/24 including 0/10 from 3. Indiana shot under 30% as a team. But, the ending was pretty cool.

Reactions: proudopete
no

Id say most of their crowd outside of ASS hall are generally good people. But once they are inside that building it does something crazy to them and they frequently become vile a-holes intoxicated by IU folklore, entitlement and dreams of '87
I’ve never experienced that as a Purdue fan going there, granted I don’t act like an idiot when there. I’m not rubbing stuff in, clapping in people’s faces etc. I’ve mostly sat in pretty bad seats with older IU fans, every time my experience was fine, not a fan of the seats though, they sorta suck.

I’ve never experienced that as a Purdue fan going there, granted I don’t act like an idiot when there. I’m not rubbing stuff in, clapping in people’s faces etc. I’ve mostly sat in pretty bad seats with older IU fans, every time my experience was fine, not a fan of the seats though, they sorta suck.
That's cute. Nobody in our group was getting obnoxious and most certainly not "in anyone's face" either and still had crap and drinks thrown at us

DrEss and I went to the Feb. 29, 2000 game at the Hall. Purdue had a chance to win a share of the B10 title with MSU if it won. No such luck. IU had a double-digit halftime lead, and Purdue could never get over the hump in the second half. Last game RMK coached at the Hall. I followed that up by watching Illinois beat IU in the B10 Tourney. The last game RMK coached for IU. Although, nobody knew it at the time.

As far as I'm concerned, the Hall blows for watching basketball. But, it has to be a hell of a lot of fun to be there when Purdue wins.
We were in the nosebleeder section. Wasn’t the General’s last game coached at IU vs Pepperdine in the NCAA? That game was very enjoyable to watch. https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/on-this-day-indiana-bob-knight-final-game

Last edited:
Was actually just there recently. Took my son to the IU-OSU women's game. Record setting attendance for the women at 10,455. Hell of a game.

Been there many times. Most fans are decent folks, but you have those who think they're part of the team, and the internet idiots we all know.

Went less into the Davis' debacle and Quit going entirely when they hired Cheatin' Kelvin.

That's cute. Nobody in our group was getting obnoxious and most certainly not "in anyone's face" either and still had crap and drinks thrown at us
I never had that, those doing that are dopes. Only time I’ve ever seen fans from opposing teams fight was at NFL games, that gets ridiculous, booze from early morning tailgates plays a major role.

I never had that, those doing that are dopes. Only time I’ve ever seen fans from opposing teams fight was at NFL games, that gets ridiculous, booze from early morning tailgates plays a major role.
Good point about booze as it was definitely a factor. It was also in the later 90s so a bit of a different era of crowd rowdiness. Now with cameras everywhere, curbs most of that (hopefully).

Only been to 3 venues other than Mackey for BB games, so pretty small sample size:

IU

OSU (crowd seemed almost bored, and they had a good team)

And MSU's Breslin.
For as obnoxious as Spartan fans can be online, we were pleasantly surprised how friendly the msu people were around us at that one... especially because it was Biggie's sophomore year (naturally he was booed) and Boilers won.

Idk, swore I'd never catch another game in Bloomington but honestly wouldn't mind giving it another shot because I also enjoy going to southern Indiana occasionally.

Have heard multiple Purdue fans say they'd never attend another game at Camp Randall because of a similar experience in Madison (granted, football crowds seem to be a bit different animal)

Many times. First in 1974. IU had young coach Bob Knight, recruits Scott May, Quinn Buckner, Bob Wilkerson, returnees Steve Green and John Laskowski, incoming Kent Benson and Larry Bird.

Bird bailed but the others got better together. Unless you were down near the court, seats were high-pitched and nosebleed.

Let’s hear some stories.

Never been...considered it a few times. I have been to the Indianapolis Zoo and Foster Park for some free concerts. Is it much different?

I did the nose bleeds a few times with iu buddies. Then I got a client that would set me up for purdue games like half court 10 rows up behind iu bench, just a couple times but I brought my best iu friend very fun I never got anything said to me.

That's real close to a petting zoo in some locations. Not sure where some of those people live...only see some when there is a free concert.
I lived in Kokomo for 46 years and have never seen a show in Foster Park. I’ve played lots of ball there but no shows.

Reactions: tjreese
I lived in Kokomo for 46 years and have never seen a show in Foster Park. I’ve played lots of ball there but no shows.
Well a few years ago they started having concerts, built a stage and had some nice "free" entertainment. People came from and hour or two away to join what I think are some local people. Let's just say there will be a few people that may challenge the "walmart people" pics for unusual. It's been a few years since I attended. Many of the concerts are bands from many years ago...maybe missing a person or two but playing the same songs. A few years ago "The Mummies" would be there for a show each year. "The Mummies" have performed across the state at various places. The story is that The Mummies are all members from professional bands that get together and hide their identity. Youtube has some videos on them, but here are three

Last edited:
My only trip was in February 2019 for that 48-46 rock fight. A Matt Haarms tip-in won it for the Boilers. It was a very satisfying finish to an otherwise forgettable game. The IU student section had been on Haarms the entire game.

Indiana wasn't very good that year, so I got a single ticket less than 20 rows up on the side opposite the team benches, almost at mid-court, for a very reasonable price--about $75 I think. The Indiana fans around me were very pleasant.

The game itself was pretty abysmal. Carsen Edwards shot 4/24 including 0/10 from 3. Indiana shot under 30% as a team. But, the ending was pretty cool.
Me and three buddies were at this game and sat in the balcony. Believe it or not we made it on to the floor and took pictures at center court after the win. Unique place, but needs repairs. IU fans treated us fine.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Well a few years ago they started having concerts, built a stage and had some nice "free" entertainment. People came from and hour or two away to join what I think are some local people. Let's just say there will be a few people that may challenge the "walmart people" pics for unusual. It's been a few years since I attended. Many of the concerts are bands from many years ago...maybe missing a person or two but playing the same songs. A few years ago "The Mummies" would be there for a show each year. "The Mummies" have performed across the state at various places. The story is that The Mummies are all members from professional bands that get together and hide their identity. Youtube has some videos on them, but here are three

I live near Nashville. I am well versed on Here Come the Mummies.

Reactions: tjreese
Twice. Once for last year’s game. I took one of my employees who was an Engineer who had just acquired his work visa and whose wife is a phd researcher at IU. I at least made him a Purdue fan. The other time, it was 1996 winter break (jan 8, 1997 to be exact, so just before school started back up I guess). I had a summer job at our local bank down home. I got invited by a whole bunch of banker friends to go to IU Minnesota that year. IU was up by nine with about two minutes left. I watched Minny come back from that to win. That was a fabulous night to watch Bob Knight not close out. I thanked my friends for inviting me!

Once when I was in elementary school in the 80s. My older sisters went to IU. The only basketball games I had been to before then were nd games because I grew up in south bend. We had nose Bleed seats and I couldn't even see most of the court. I kept thinking why would anyone want to come back and watch a game like this? I couldn't even enjoy it.

Once when I was in elementary school in the 80s. My older sisters went to IU. The only basketball games I had been to before then were nd games because I grew up in south bend. We had nose Bleed seats and I couldn't even see most of the court. I kept thinking why would anyone want to come back and watch a game like this? I couldn't even enjoy it.
Yep…at 53 years old now there’s no way I’d ever sit up high at that gym again. It’s a good view if you’re lower level. Mackey arena is a much better place to watch a game, not even close really.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to infer you acted like that. However, we’ve all witnessed fans that act like this in others gyms or football fields. On NFL Sunday fans acting like this many times get drunken idiots throw stuff at them. Also, I’ve been to 3 IU/Purdue games at Assembly Hall, each time I sat by older people, usually those aren’t the type starting fights acting obnoxious lol

I had a very positive experience there. Fans were very friendly and not at all obnoxious. We won a close game. It was in the Robbie Hummel era.

Reactions: rgarlitz
The other question, have you ever hauled ass, to get to a game in ass hall?
only time down there was I think in 77 or 78 they had big outdoor concert w/ Aerosmith and Blue Oyster Cult headlining along w/ Clark/Hillman band, Atlanta Rythym Section

Never been there for a Purdue game, but did go to IU vs Iowa there with a friend of mine who is an IU alum and had an extra ticket. I watched the whole game ducking down to see under a rail which was right at eye level for anyone sitting normally in those particular seats.

I also saw No Doubt, the GooGoo Dolls and Bush (same tour had been at Elliott Hall in the fall) perform there I think it was Little 500 weekend probably 95-96 school year.

Never been there for a Purdue game, but did go to IU vs Iowa there with a friend of mine who is an IU alum and had an extra ticket. I watched the whole game ducking down to see under a rail which was right at eye level for anyone sitting normally in those particular seats.

I also saw No Doubt, the GooGoo Dolls and Bush (same tour had been at Elliott Hall in the fall) perform there I think it was Little 500 weekend probably 95-96 school year.
it might not be such a bad view if that railing has fallen since that trip?

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerMaker P
ADVERTISEMENT