ADVERTISEMENT

Harper Commits

I disagree, start Learn at the 4 and use Harper to back her and Woltman up. I think Learn would do much better facing the basket than as a small framed center, and we have Stoddard for spot minutes in the post as well.
Harper was player of the year in the conference on a team that played in the third round of the NIT, can’t see her not starting.

Harper was player of the year in the conference on a team that played in the third round of the NIT, can’t see her not starting.
Think you're working under the assumption CKG wants to play with two posts. I think she is our starting center in an offense that doesn't clog up the lane (see Kyle). Hope Learn can learn (pun) a lot from her since Harper plays like a more modern post that CKG seems to want.

The recruit is Mary Ashley Groot a 6'2 F in the class of 2023, so she wouldn't be added for this upcoming season. She is apparently visiting this week and has Purdue high on her list. Terry, according to Carmin, is expected to announce her return to the team. Kind of an awkward thing to do after already making a very public "good bye" to the program, hopefully it won't affect the team's chemistry.

The recruit is Mary Ashley Groot a 6'2 F in the class of 2023, so she wouldn't be added for this upcoming season. She is apparently visiting this week and has Purdue high on her list. Terry, according to Carmin, is expected to announce her return to the team. Kind of an awkward thing to do after already making a very public "good bye" to the program, hopefully it won't affect the team's chemistry.
Think if Terry returns they go with 12 players? I could see a mid level grad transfer added as well.

Harper is considered a grad transfer as she spent 4 years at CBU and I believe is set to graduate; But she redshirted one of those years so I believe she will have 2 years of eligibility left. That gives us a nice 2 year buffer of having an experienced post player as we get some of these young posts developed.

Carmin also said Purdue beat out Minnesota and Alabama for her services so I'd chalk that up to another good recruiting win for KG!

Last edited:
Harper has 4 years of college experience, is much more physically developed and a has a fairly reliable 3 pt shot. She shot 53% from the field this past year. It wouldn't make any sense at all to start Learn over her.

Yes, she didn’t come to Purdue to be a backup to Learn. If Terry returns guessing that Harper, Terry, Ellis, Layden are day 1 starters. I have a feeling that Hardin starts early, I hope her minutes are limited to 15 a game or so, thinking the last spot goes to her but I’d imagine Woltman/Learn/Potts are in the mix for it as well.

Harper is considered a grad transfer as she spent 4 years at CBU and I believe is set to graduate; But she redshirted one of those years so I believe she will have 2 years of eligibility left. That gives us a nice 2 year buffer of having an experienced post player as we get some of these young posts developed.

Carmin also said Purdue beat out Minnesota and Alabama for her services so I'd chalk that up to another good recruiting win for KG!
Learn is a guard, she was recruited as a guard. Putting her as backup center again this year is a VERY likely recipe for her leaving at the end of her sophmore year for a school that can play her in the right position. At least starting her at PF we have a better chance of keeping her. And best player in the WAC is not necessarily a better player than Learn, just saying. Also, imagine having two players with the same skillsets as Layden on the floor working the perimeter together and how they could make defenses really struggle. This is the portal era now, you cannot just plug players into spots for the teams needs without caring about how the player feels about it because they can leave with no consequences and leave gaps in your recruiting. Bob Knight would fail miserably in this era, because the portal gives the players a lot more control than before and coaches now have to keep players happier to prevent portal jailbreaks like UK, Purdue, and UMinn the last couple of years.

The starting lineup is going to depend on whether we want to go big or go small to match up with the teams we are playing. Adding a versatile post in Harper, who has the ability to score on all three levels, defend the post, has the experience and the physical stature to bang with B10 posts but then can also step out and hit the 3, is really going to help do this. But Harper isn't going to come in and back up Learn. She will either play the 5 when we go small, and yes Learn could be paired with her at the 4 with Woltman/Stoddard as back ups. Or if we go big against some bigger BIG teams I would put Woltman at the 5 as she is taller but limited offensively and then have the more experienced Harper at the 4 where she can pick and pop and shoot the 3.

Learn played extremely well for us down the stretch this year and I definitely see her coming into herself even more as a sophomore but we are talking about a 4 year player who has produced incredibly well over collegiate career in Harper, even against some good teams. She had 23/5 against an extremely tall Oregon State team this past year, you think Learn could produce that at this point in her career? Again, this has nothing to do with Learn as I think her future is extremely bright but she has a little ways to go to develop into that.

Lets be real - Michael is trying to really down play Harper and elevate Learn to save his own back after he was spewing absolute nonsensical GARBAGE about KG not being able to find an instant impact player in the transfer portal. It's not that he actually truly believes Learn, at this point in her career, is better than Harper. It's just some ridiculous attempt to not look like an absolute idiot, something he does time and time again on this board.

Also you don't know what Learn "is", you really know nothing at all actually. You are just going off some designation the Purdue SID gave her on a roster. She was recruited as a 6'1 guard/wing by a previous coach who had every intention of using Kyle as our entire post game, that coach was then replaced. The new coach, KG came in and I'm sure had talks to every player about the role they will have in the new system going forward. If she didn't like that role she would've left last month. She's still here so she obviously is fine with whatever role KG has for her and that's as a swing forward who can *hopefully* shoot from 3, I don't know, if she can do that with regularity because she never proved that her rookie season. So maybe, Michael, *GASP* YOU DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING.

I will also say, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of thing who "starts". Harper, Woltman and Learn are all going to get major minutes this year as they are the post game - hopefully Stoddard can come along and be able to get some minutes later in the year but I have very little expectations of her factoring in to start the year, I could see KG taking it slow with her and easing her into play much like she did with Learn this past year.

Last edited:
The starting lineup is going to depend on whether we want to go big or go small to match up with the teams we are playing. Adding a versatile post in Harper, who has the ability to score on all three levels, defend the post, has the experience and the physical stature to bang with B10 posts but then can also step out and hit the 3, is really going to help do this. But Harper isn't going to come in and back up Learn. She will either play the 5 when we go small, and yes Learn could be paired with her at the 4 with Woltman/Stoddard as back ups. Or if we go big against some bigger BIG teams I would put Woltman at the 5 as she is taller but limited offensively and then have the more experienced Harper at the 4 where she can pick and pop and shoot the 3.

Learn played extremely well for us down the stretch this year and I definitely see her coming into herself even more as a sophomore but we are talking about a 4 year player who has produced incredibly well over collegiate career in Harper, even against some good teams. She had 23/5 against an extremely tall Oregon State team this past year, you think Learn could produce that at this point in her career? Again, this has nothing to do with Learn as I think her future is extremely bright but she has a little ways to go to develop into that.

Lets be real - Michael is trying to really down play Harper and elevate Learn to save his own back after he was spewing absolute nonsensical GARBAGE about KG not being able to find an instant impact player in the transfer portal. It's not that he actually truly believes Learn, at this point in her career, is better than Harper. It's just some ridiculous attempt to not look like an absolute idiot, something he does time and time again on this board.

Also you don't know what Learn "is", you really know nothing at all actually. You are just going off some designation the Purdue SID gave her on a roster. She was recruited as a 6'1 guard/wing by a previous coach who had every intention of using Kyle as our entire post game, that coach was then replaced. The new coach, KG came in and I'm sure had talks to every player about the role they will have in the new system going forward. If she didn't like that role she would've left last month. She's still here so she obviously is fine with whatever role KG has for her and that's as a swing forward who can *hopefully* shoot from 3, I don't know, if she can do that with regularity because she never proved that her rookie season. So maybe, Michael, *GASP* YOU DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING.

I will also say, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of thing who "starts". Harper, Woltman and Learn are all going to get major minutes this year as they are the post game - hopefully Stoddard can come along and be able to get some minutes later in the year but I have very little expectations of her factoring in to start the year, I could see KG taking it slow with her and easing her into play much like she did with Learn this past year.
Good post, look, I’ve never watched Harper play, doubt anyone has. However, looking at her numbers and her player of the year status on a team that was solid there’s no way she was brought in to be a backup. On paper it’s a very good transfer to bring in, we’ll see how it works out on the court.

Reactions: RBryant311

We will see... As to your insults, you're just upset that you and your hero TC have someone that stands up to your bullying and bluster. I'm big enough to admit if I'm wrong, something you and your hero would do well to learn since you do it so often. Learn played guard in HS, was recruited as a guard, listed as a guard, sees herself as a guard, but because you have given your final answer on the subject she will happily okay center her whole career just to make you look good... ROFL

Look at Ellis - a small guard who was a starter at Cal Poly - a school that plays in a smaller conference than CBU - who averaged 15 a game - she made a seamless transition to Big 10 play and is now a key cog for next year. But all of a sudden a 4-year veteran who was named conference POY on a team who finished 26-1 a year ago and averaged 17/6 this past year isn't going to be able to beat out a rising sophomore who averaged 5/2 in her lone college season? C'mon. No one with a single brain cell believes that.

I would suggest, Michael, in all of your infinite wisdom about Learn's life story - you know more than her parents do!! - that you take a look at some of her high school highlights. Doesn't really look like she played a whole lot at the guard spot. Looks very similar to the role she played last year at Purdue. And no one here has ever claimed her to be a 'Center' so your insistence on using that terminology in describing her role on this team is a clear signifier that you are beating a dead horse that YOU created to somehow prove your "superior" knowledge.

Learn HS highlights.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TC4THREE
Here's another article with how coaches described her game in HS, Michael. Just figured since you like to spout off at the mouth your ignorant drivel every chance you get - I'd give you some research materials to better LEARN about what you so desperately want to be an expert at.

Ava Learn​

School: Our Lady of Lourdes

Year: Junior

Position: Forward

What makes Ava super: At 6-foot-1, with her athleticism and talent, Learn can do it all and creates matchup nightmares for most opponents. She's a hybrid post-wing, capable of slashing inside, working under the basket and shooting from the perimeter. Her length and leaping ability have made her a good shot-blocker. Learn averaged 23 points, 12 rebounds and 3.5 blocks in leading the rebuilding Warriors to the Section 1 Class AA semifinals. "She's one of the most talented players I've had and she's drawing a lot of Division I college interest," Lourdes coach Al Viani said. "She's working on being able to do more things off the dribble and she's looking to pass more and get everyone involved. She'll be our go-to player and we'll get as far as she takes us."

Link

Last edited:
Bingo. He's proven in my limited interaction with him that he doesn't necessarily believe what he's saying on here. When I challenged him, he also backed down. That's why I read very little of what he posts now, often none of it. He doesn't even mean what he posts, and even if he did, he doesn't really understand basketball anyway.

Ava Learn is a top notch ball player and she deserves an expanded role on next year's squad. Don't pigeon hole her as a center, she is a guard who can also play forward. She has demonstrated the ability to score and run the floor. She should definitely be part of KG's plans for the future of this team. I am a BIG fan of Ava. She was asked to contribute in a novel way to this year's team and she pitched in with gusto, Seems like the sort who would do anything for the team. She is a valuable asset!

Ava Learn is a top notch ball player and she deserves an expanded role on next year's squad. Don't pigeon hole her as a center, she is a guard who can also play forward. She has demonstrated the ability to score and run the floor. She should definitely be part of KG's plans for the future of this team. I am a BIG fan of Ava. She was asked to contribute in a novel way to this year's team and she pitched in with gusto, Seems like the sort who would do anything for the team. She is a valuable asset!
Just because a player can dribble the basketball up the court does not make them a guard. She's a swing forward (3-4) and that will be her role again this upcoming year. No one has called her a center but 1 person. Read my post again.

Reactions: TC4THREE
"Ava is a unique and versatile 3-4. Her greatest asset is shooting from the perimeter, but her ability to find open teammates is something that separates her. Ava has superb court awareness and a great basketball IQ. She can guard 2-4. Her skill of using her length to get into passing lanes and block shots." - Sharon Versyp (the coach who recruited her to Purdue)

"Ava is a unique and versatile 3-4. Her greatest asset is shooting from the perimeter, but her ability to find open teammates is something that separates her. Ava has superb court awareness and a great basketball IQ. She can guard 2-4. Her skill of using her length to get into passing lanes and block shots." - Sharon Versyp (the coach who recruited her to Purdue)
And putting her in the post backing up Woltman is playing the 5....... Thank you for proving my point. As to TC's comments, he is still foolish enough to believe if he repeats the same lies about his distortions of my point about IU being better next year that someone with two working brain cells might believe him. It amuses me how dumb he thinks the other posters on here are, or maybe that is just the absolute limit of his own poor intelligence.

Learn will be a major part of this team for 3 years. She is a swing player and will be used in that way. She is not and will not play center. With Harper we may need one more versatile forward. With Terry back
We should be solid and more experienced than last year. I think KG will be able to run her style more. Not ready to challenge for top but should be competitive in
Most games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT