ADVERTISEMENT

Haley is correct

Some things are private, even for political figures. I'd like to see the SAT scores that got Chelsea Clinton into Stanford but I have no 'right' to that information.

Tax return doesn't actually tell you shit. I don't know when this obsession started with it. Like people are going to label things "Illegal activity" or something on it.
Ever wonder why Trump never released his? It probably is big in volume, very complicated with tax evasion lurking at various places in it.

Ever wonder why Trump never released his? It probably is big in volume, very complicated with tax evasion lurking at various places in it.
No, I don't wonder at all why Trump didn't release his tax returns. His political enemies would pounce on it and use it to embarrass him. No doubt that he used legal loopholes to pay minimal taxes like other wealthy people do. Elon Musk paid zero income taxes last year.

If he's guilty of tax evasion, he could be audited like any other American.

Tax return doesn't actually tell you shit. I don't know when this obsession started with it. Like people are going to label things "Illegal activity" or something on it.
If it doesn't tell you shit, then there is no harm in releasing it. No, people don't point out illegal activity on their return. However, Trump has a complex relationship with the tax laws and his unwillingness to release makes it even more suspicious. He could have released it and cleared the air. Most/all other candidates for POTUS have. It is a bad look.

If it doesn't tell you shit, then there is no harm in releasing it. No, people don't point out illegal activity on their return. However, Trump has a complex relationship with the tax laws and his unwillingness to release makes it even more suspicious. He could have released it and cleared the air. Most/all other candidates for POTUS have. It is a bad look.
You do realize the IRS sees it?

Yes. I also know the IRS is seriously under resourced.
You think so? They are after me right now to submit my 2019 tax return. Now, I submitted a check with my 2019 return and the check was promptly cashed and I have the cancelled check and it was mailed in the same envelope with the return. But they claim they did not receive my tax return.

The problem with the IRS isn't being under resourced. The problem is that their employees are zombies.

Technically, as long as your tax return includes all income, it cannot be used to charge you with other crimes.

I do not understand why you are concerned with tax returns of a has been politician?

As far as taxes you might be more concerned with what Biden has in his new bill he is working on.......funds for thousands of new IRS agents, with nothing to do but monitor YOUR bank account.

I do not understand why you are concerned with tax returns of a has been politician?

As far as taxes you might be more concerned with what Biden has in his new bill he is working on.......funds for thousands of new IRS agents, with nothing to do but monitor YOUR bank account.
Declare him "has been" after 2024. Thousands of additional IRS agents are needed to help collect the billions in taxes illegally avoided. The IRS can monitor my bank account, I have nothing to hide.

You think so? They are after me right now to submit my 2019 tax return. Now, I submitted a check with my 2019 return and the check was promptly cashed and I have the cancelled check and it was mailed in the same envelope with the return. But they claim they did not receive my tax return.

The problem with the IRS isn't being under resourced. The problem is that their employees are zombies.
Interesting. I’m going through virtually the same thing for 2019—except that they acknowledge timely receipt of the return, but have no record of the check sent in the same envelope.

After three months of hoop jumping and 12 phone hours, I finally got someone to admit I paid it and the IRS cashed it. But we’re still squabbling over penalties and interest.

Declare him "has been" after 2024. Thousands of additional IRS agents are needed to help collect the billions in taxes illegally avoided. The IRS can monitor my bank account, I have nothing to hide.

Since the IRS has a history of being weaponized in the past against the TEA party, we sure do not need more IRS agents to repeat that history of weaponization, which is the unstated goal here. On your point, I do not think there is any past documentation of Billions of uncollected taxes?

BTW how would it help your life if the public got to look at Trump's taxes? It wouldn't, and you know it. Our corrupt government and media has SO many things & ways they could improve our lives. Getting ahold of Trump's tax returns is not one of them.

Yes. I also know the IRS is seriously under resourced.

They are not under ressourced. They are poorly managed. Currently the majority are working remotely from a conversation I had with them, and the same conversation they admitted being behind this year as compared to previous years when they weren't remote.

From the Washington Post:

IRS faces 35 million unprocessed tax returns as backlog swells, watchdog says

Taxpayer call volumes also rise dramatically as customer service responsiveness plummets and backlog mounts

By Jeff Stein

June 30, 2021 at 5:59 p.m. EDT

The Internal Revenue Service closed the most recent filing season with more than 35 million in unprocessed tax returns, as the agency’s backlog grew markedly amid a crush of challenges related to the pandemic and economic relief efforts, a government watchdog said Wednesday.

Erin Collins, the National Taxpayer Advocate, said in her report that about 17 million paper tax returns are still waiting to be processed and approximately 16 million additional returns have been placed on hold because they require further review manually. Another 2.7 million amended tax returns have not been processed.

This backlog represents a fourfold increase from 2019 — the most recent year before the coronavirus pandemic — when the IRS closed its filing season with 7.4 million unprocessed returns, according to the report. These numbers reflect the IRS backlog as of May, and the agency may have made progress reducing it since then. The IRS backlog amounted to 11 million at the end of the 2020 filing season, fewer than a third of the current number of unprocessed returns.

They are not under ressourced. They are poorly managed. Currently the majority are working remotely from a conversation I had with them, and the same conversation they admitted being behind this year as compared to previous years when they weren't remote.
The thing is regardless your banking fees are going to increase by all the extra bank work and whether you have anything to hide, do you really want to have to prove it to them? It is a ridiculous plan

This. The type of cheating the ultra-wealthy and politicians do is the kind that's completely legal.
Some is, some is not. It is difficult to police because the returns are complicated and the rich have their team of accountants lawyers etc. In many cases, the IRS is outmanned. That is why I cringe when I hear "the rich will pay for it". No they won't, the deficit/debt will be increased.

Some is, some is not. It is difficult to police because the returns are complicated and the rich have their team of accountants lawyers etc. In many cases, the IRS is outmanned. That is why I cringe when I hear "the rich will pay for it". No they won't, the deficit/debt will be increased.
The deficit isn't real hope this helps

This. The type of cheating the ultra-wealthy and politicians do is the kind that's completely legal.
So, if it's completely legal, how is it cheating?

The name of the game is the give the govt as little of your hard earned money as possible (legally). If you're rich, can hire great tax people who can exploit legal loopholes, the more power to you.

ADVERTISEMENT