ADVERTISEMENT

H&R Write-Up on Ryan Walters

Feb 7, 2007
Hammer and Rails actually had a good write-up on Ryan Walters prior to his selection as HC. He is considered one of the best coordinators in the country. I am a little surprised that Jamarcus Shephard wasn't given a shot (please let him be the OC!!!). Overall, I'm OK with Walters selection.

From Hammer & Rails -
Ryan Walters is considered one of the best up and coming assistant coaches in college football. Only 36, Walters played at Colorado, graduating in, 2008 and jumped immediately into coaching as a student assistant at Colorado and Arizona as a graduate assistant. He became the defensive coordinator at Missouri in 2018 at just 32 years of age.

Walters was hired at Illinois by Brett Bielema and made an immediate impact. This season the Illini were one of the best statistical defenses in the country. They are 2nd in total defense (263.8 yards per game), forced 30 turnovers (1st in the country), 74.1% red zone scoring defense (11thin the country), allowed only 98.4 yards rushing per game (8th in the country), and only 165.4 passing yards per game (6th in the country).

Walters was considered a finalists for the opening at Colorado before they hired Deion Sanders and was also considered a possibility for their defensive coordinator position. Rittenberg made mention of Walters numerous times during the search at Colorado and Walters is considered one of the best defensive minds in the country. There is a big youth movement at the NFL and college level but this may end up being something along the lines of what happened with Jeff Brohm and Louisville if Sanders flops at Colorado.

So saying this is a good hire and he does well. Sanders is either fired or moves on. Do we get dumped for Colorado?

Reactions: Dryfly88
Better have a huge buy-out. When Sanders leaves for the NFL, Buffs will come calling and he will go.

Let us hope Bobinski has made it very clear that the money is there for the right OC. Please don't lets us nickel and dime this.
Are we sure the incoming Dr. Mung Chiang administration share the same vision for athletics?

Reactions: lucky 53
So we have a young guy that will either move up or laterally if he does well. Awesome
True, but that will always be the case unless Purdue becomes a powerhouse, which isn't likely to happen in football. I'd love to be wrong on this.

Name Shephard oc/associate head coach.
I would love that, but I just don't know what's in it for him. It's a lateral move from his gig in Washington, and he has to uproot and move across the country again. Plus he's obviously looking to be a head coach somewhere down the road. He would be a temporary solution at best.

Better have a huge buy-out. When Sanders leaves for the NFL, Buffs will come calling and he will go.
You think Deion is gonna talk to NFL players like he does his college players? I think Neon is best suited for ncaa. He will recruit like crazy at Colorado. Can’t recruit in nfl

You really think that? I am wondering about the new Purdue President and their interest in spending money on sports. There is a reason that for the last 30 years OSU and Mich State have ruled the big ten. $$$$$

A very successful athletics program raises the profile of the university and creates more interest among prospective students as well as alumni. This translates into increased applications and a more competitive entering class. Alumni donations are also positively correlated with program success.

The incoming President has to know this. The Board does after the Cordova debacle. We have the #1 rated Basketball team in the nation. Does anyone not think that will sell more t-shirts, caps, etc. and get the royalty money that comes with that?

I live on the East Coast. I see lots of Duke, N. Carolina, Ohio State, Michigan and even Texas gear but little, if any, Purdue gear in the stores. A high rating for a number of weeks can change that as people love a winner. The bucks will follow the increased interest.

Reactions: Purdue80
I would love that, but I just don't know what's in it for him. It's a lateral move from his gig in Washington, and he has to uproot and move across the country again. Plus he's obviously looking to be a head coach somewhere down the road. He would be a temporary solution at best.
Double his salary?

ADVERTISEMENT