ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Gary to Mercer

You mean lutz isn't their favorite assistant coach? If Gary isn't our prime recruiter, who is? Not sure why he chose Mercer.

Maybe. But I think you really need to focus your staff on specific areas to be successful. Watch Gary on the bench. He’s verbally and visually coaching as much as Painter. He’s very similar to the Weber role under Keady.
Yep. Head coach has to have assistants going over details and adjustments with players on the bench either going in or coming out. Coach has to watch what’s happening on the court to know what he wants assistants to detail to players. Can’t do it with your head down in long conversations.

Maybe this is leverage to get more money for Assistant coaches? If so, either way...good for him.

Another name to consider would be Chris Harriman, associate HC at New Mexico. CMP tried to hire him previously.

Could also see Craig Neal, former New Mexico HC and Alford assistant get in play. I think he is good friends with CMP.
Offer Fife silly money? If nothing else to put a stick in Izzo’s spokes...

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Offer Fife silly money? If nothing else to put a stick in Izzo’s spoke...
Agree but feel like his next move is a HC position.

Keep in mind this bodes well for Painter. He has guys come on his staff and get opportunities to leave for HC positions.

Why would they do this now? Talk about adding an unwanted distraction to the team/players during the Tourney. Someone enlighten me.

Why would Mercer care about being a distraction to Purdue? They're worried about their own program. If Gary didn't want to be a distraction, he should have declined to talk til after the tourney.

Go out and get the best recruiter available and pay him.
Who runs our offense? Gary is the bench coach and calls every play. I would also suspect he runs our practices as well. Our assistants all have roles. I’m all for getting a recruiter too but CMP will be looking for an assistant head coach first. He may promote internally.

Who runs our offense? Gary is the bench coach and calls every play. I would also suspect he runs our practices as well. Our assistants all have roles. I’m all for getting a recruiter too but CMP will be looking for an assistant head coach first. He may promote internally.
Painters problem isn't X's and O's, it's closing the deal on top talent. He needs a killer recruiter/closer more than more anything.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Why would Mercer care about being a distraction to Purdue? They're worried about their own program. If Gary didn't want to be a distraction, he should have declined to talk til after the tourney.
He isn't going to Mercer until the season is done at Purdue. That could mean he is on his way to Georgia on 3/29 or they have to wait until April. I am sure that was part of his negotiation.

Reactions: fayncbolier
For those of you lucky enough to have seen Greg or his old brother (Mark) play for Anderson Highland at the Wigwam in the Anderson Sectional... it’s what I think of every time I see him on the sidelines. Glad he was part of Purdue basketball. He will be VERY hard to replace

Painters problem isn't X's and O's, it's closing the deal on top talent. He needs a killer recruiter/closer more than more anything.
He doesn’t have a problem with Xs and Os because Gary handles it for him. I’m all for getting a good recruiter but he has to have an offensive background to make up for what we lose with Gary.

He doesn’t have a problem with Xs and Os because Gary handles it for him. I’m all for getting a good recruiter but he has to have an offensive background to make up for what we lose with Gary.
I disagree. Painter has been coaching long enough that he can figure out how to put the pieces together on offense, especially if he's able to land some high 4 and 5* talent. Great talent can make up for a lot of deficiencies.

ADVERTISEMENT