ADVERTISEMENT

Great finish ladies...unfortunately....

Bigohh

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2002
not quite enough. Rutgers size seemed to be the deciding factor with a lot of rebounds and blocks. Oh well, typical Purdue refrain, "wait until next year", with a really young team and hopefully some "players" coming in.

How can you compete with only 7 legit players? The only hope they had was if Lamina Cooper was healthy, and we'll never know what the deal is with her probably. HPPA regulations and all, but she is a vital piece to the team's success. Absolutely zero depth, no height, and a mediocre to below average coach = first round exit. They will be older, wiser, stronger next season, but if they have defections, and grade issues and injuries again, we'll be back here again, same time, same Bat channel, same result.

In the last 2 games (MSU and Rutgers), the entire bench has combined for 0 points in 15 minutes. 15 total minutes over 2 games from non-starters. Four starters had to (each) play 40 minutes against Rutgers. WBB allows for 15 scholarship players, and we have a walk-on. I don't know how anybody can defend this lack of depth.

They’re very hard to watch. I’ve gone from a multi-year season ticket holder, and frequent traveler to away games, to a casual observer. The contrast between our teams of the 90’s/early 2000’s to the teams of the last several years is startling. It’s a totally different level of play...and that’s not a compliment. I find it embarrassing that we’ve slipped so far while other programs pass us by.

Did anyone realize that we couldn't advance the ball after the winning shot because Sharon had used our last time out with just under a minute to play as our offense appeared to be stalling? Big mistake!!

Reactions: PurdueTim16
Versyp is too highly compensated to deliver these sorts of results year after year. The pattern is clear. IU should never beat us, and certainly not twice in the same year.

Reactions: PurdueTim16
My wonderful parents my dad in his early 90's and my mom in her late 80's, both attend every women's bb game and are huge fans, and never complain about the team, etc but even they are wondering why the rotation is so short and that the kids just look exhausted, and wonder about the fate of the program is going to be?. etc.

I keep hoping Bobinski does something to resurrect this program and get it back among the elite women's bb teams in the country again. It's the only revenue sport that seems to be sputtering right now at Purdue. Hard to hide, if football is going great again, and Men's BB is rated #3 in the country, and the women's bb team only has 7 players? What? New blood is needed!...PLEASE!

Reactions: nagemj02 and Gesysp
Well-Articulated. Has been said over and over. Don't think there is any chance Versyp will be fired this year. Has a roster of 13 for next year not including any grad transfers. Has a lot of young talent tho the mysterious lack of info about Cooper's illness makes one wonder if she will be part of it and that would be another big loss. But with depth next year, this team could be quite good (tho, as all know, our national aspirations are living in the past. If that holds, Coach V will stay but if we hit the skids again with the roster, who knows. This is true tho: a fan base that is one of the best in the BT is becoming more and more disgruntled it seems. Will an AD care much about a non-revenue sport. Stay tuned.

There’s always next year, when we are more mature and more experienced, when player X and player Y arrive... and yet we get the same results year after year. Don’t we have aspirations for something better than this?

We do and that is the conundrum. This year a talented young team was subverted by transfers and injuries, so thin it had no chance. Last year after an up and down season, it almost upset a Final Four caliber team. How do you judge that? Can you actually get someone better to bring in the recruits that will put us higher and stabilize the program. That is what the AD has to assess--IF and this is a big if, the RELATIVE success of a non-revenue sport matters. There is nothing at all coming from the AD position about the state of this program so it is all fan speculation.

You judge it by looking at the body of work over the last 10 years. “Almosts” don’t count. Look at the data and take the emotion out of it, and you’ll see a program in constant decline. That’s not to say a new coach will turn it around quickly. But we know where we are and who we are, and we aren’t going back to the top 10 with this staff.

I'd like to see Austin Parkinson be given the reigns to the program. He has done a really great job at IUPUI. I think the jump for Katie Geralds from Marian to Purdue would be too large...although I think she will eventually be a great D1 coach. Maybe Parkinson can bring her along as an assistant coach because she clearly knows how to coach.

Parkinson IUPUI Coaching Profile

At the risk of getting stoned, I do not think coaching is the problem. I do not think Coach V is a bad coach at all and, in fact, has gotten a lot out of her teams, often finishing the season in a strong way. The issue is recruiting and the fact that many of the top Indiana and Midwestern players go elsewhere. You cannot win at a high level without some of them and we do, occasionally, get a top recruit, like the lucky find with MCClaughlin ( and perhaps Harris too), but not enough. Whether Austin or Katie or anyone else can change that is a big guess. Since the scandal hit our program under Curry and we lost those three A-A players, our program has gone down and, concurrently, McGraw at ND, who we were neck and neck with, shot up with players like Diggins and she continues to pound us in recruiting. Can that change? For example, from Danville, Il, is a top guard named Anya Peoples, already committed to ND as a junior. Those are the kinds of wins we have to get in the recruiting wars. That is the issue, I believe, not coaching.

At the risk of getting stoned, I do not think coaching is the problem. I do not think Coach V is a bad coach at all and, in fact, has gotten a lot out of her teams, often finishing the season in a strong way. The issue is recruiting and the fact that many of the top Indiana and Midwestern players go elsewhere. You cannot win at a high level without some of them and we do, occasionally, get a top recruit, like the lucky find with MCClaughlin ( and perhaps Harris too), but not enough. Whether Austin or Katie or anyone else can change that is a big guess. Since the scandal hit our program under Curry and we lost those three A-A players, our program has gone down and, concurrently, McGraw at ND, who we were neck and neck with, shot up with players like Diggins and she continues to pound us in recruiting. Can that change? For example, from Danville, Il, is a top guard named Anya Peoples, already committed to ND as a junior. Those are the kinds of wins we have to get in the recruiting wars. That is the issue, I believe, not coaching.
There are some issues surrounding the program but you hit the head directly when you say that recruiting is the major issue. That problem ties direct to the coaching staff and that inability to bring talent in ties directly to an inability to compete and a stagnation in the success of the program.

Reactions: Dan'l Boone
There are some issues surrounding the program but you hit the head directly when you say that recruiting is the major issue. That problem ties direct to the coaching staff and that inability to bring talent in ties directly to an inability to compete and a stagnation in the success of the program.
If you have ever met and talked with SV you would realize that she is very dull. Reminds me of Ray Eddy in that she seems to think all she has to do is offer a scholly and players should be grateful and accept it. I think an aggressive approach like the one Brohm has brought in is needed to get some players that can compete. Seems like our best players are coming from GA which I assume is the influence of the asst. coach.

Reactions: Dan'l Boone
I don’t think she’s a great coach, maybe an average coach. Great coaches find ways to utilize the strengths of each player, and I don’t think we do that. I think there are problems within the program that keep the best recruits away, and often cause the ones we have to transfer out. There seems to be negative veil over the program, whether it’s the personality of the coach or some other factor, who knows. I know as a fan it gets tiring to hear the same excuses year after year when the staff preaches “no excuses”. Lol

If she was a great coach, which she isn’t, Purdue wouldn’t have a record number of turnovers. Wasn’t it 32 in a game earlier?
And she can’t recruit at a high level, like it or not that’s part of the job.

I, too, was on the CSV bandwagon when she first arrived. I was very supportive of the hire. I wanted to see a more upbeat style of play and her IU team with less talent outplayed us while she was there.
However, upbeat style quickly turned to sloppy play, high turnovers, inconsistent defense, and a frustrating lack of basketball fundamentals.
Basketball fans in the State of Indiana are knowledgeable about the game. The downward trend in attendance and enthusiasm in WBB has as much to do with the difficulty in watching bad basketball as it does the lack of success in the win/loss column. We may not be getting Top 10 talent, but we do have talent on this and previous teams. UNFORCED turnovers, a lack of player improvement, and rarely having 4 year players are a result of poor leadership.

I was a big fan of Morgan Burke, however he did not like to fire anyone. Maybe we need to go outside the Purdue family to find a great coach that doesn't feel entitled to unlimited forgiveness for poor coaching?

Add to the above the fact the last several times I have been near CSV, she has had a arrogant attitude and semi-rude to me and others when I was standing nearby...including an autograph session earlier this year. Didn't sit well with my kids and grandkids when she made a snide comment to them.

Great coaches are great recruiters. Look at what Brohm has done with football. Lots of very strong high school kids are now excited about Purdue football.

With our wonderful tradition in women's basketball, our outstanding and updated facilities, and our strong academic programs, there are no excuses for the current state of the program. Versyp is a snoozer until the losses start piling up and then she is a blamer. Find a dynamic, grounded coach and this misery quickly evaporates. Purdue should be top 10 every year - period.

Reactions: Gesysp
I, too, was on the CSV bandwagon when she first arrived. I was very supportive of the hire. I wanted to see a more upbeat style of play and her IU team with less talent outplayed us while she was there.
However, upbeat style quickly turned to sloppy play, high turnovers, inconsistent defense, and a frustrating lack of basketball fundamentals.
Basketball fans in the State of Indiana are knowledgeable about the game. The downward trend in attendance and enthusiasm in WBB has as much to do with the difficulty in watching bad basketball as it does the lack of success in the win/loss column. We may not be getting Top 10 talent, but we do have talent on this and previous teams. UNFORCED turnovers, a lack of player improvement, and rarely having 4 year players are a result of poor leadership.

I was a big fan of Morgan Burke, however he did not like to fire anyone. Maybe we need to go outside the Purdue family to find a great coach that doesn't feel entitled to unlimited forgiveness for poor coaching?

Add to the above the fact the last several times I have been near CSV, she has had a arrogant attitude and semi-rude to me and others when I was standing nearby...including an autograph session earlier this year. Didn't sit well with my kids and grandkids when she made a snide comment to them.

If you’re going to have an arrogance about you, you better make sure you can back it up with results!

And why do we consider this a non-revenue sport? The crowds of old surely generated meaningful revenue. You don't have to cover your costs to generate enough revenue to make it important.

Reactions: Gesysp
If you have ever met and talked with SV you would realize that she is very dull. Reminds me of Ray Eddy in that she seems to think all she has to do is offer a scholly and players should be grateful and accept it. I think an aggressive approach like the one Brohm has brought in is needed to get some players that can compete. Seems like our best players are coming from GA which I assume is the influence of the asst. coach.
I would rather not mention directly what other coaches have mentioned about CSV and why they believe the program has taken a downward trend and why many players leave or talented players don't come to Purdue. It has nothing to do with her as a coach but more about the culture about and within the program that she is responsible for. Some people would simply rather not go and play for a coach with that culture in the program.

I would rather not mention directly what other coaches have mentioned about CSV and why they believe the program has taken a downward trend and why many players leave or talented players don't come to Purdue. It has nothing to do with her as a coach but more about the culture about and within the program that she is responsible for. Some people would simply rather not go and play for a coach with that culture in the program.
Lin Dun had the same "culture" and was very successful. Difference in my mind is that Dun was a real outgoing character at any golf outing, social event, etc. whereas SV is an introvert and very abrupt.

And why do we consider this a non-revenue sport? The crowds of old surely generated meaningful revenue. You don't have to cover your costs to generate enough revenue to make it important.

Whatever revenue is generated is insignificant.

ADVERTISEMENT