ADVERTISEMENT

Graduate Transfers

I am also curious and have a couple of questions . Do either have a year of eligibility left? Also, can you remain at the same school?

I thought I remembered a Duke or NC player some years ago doing this but I might be mistaken.

Doh..yeah, it's 4 years but if you graduate early, you can transfer immediately or if you happen to have a medical waiver from a short year, continue to play towards that 4 years. Am I right on that?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Doh..yeah, it's 4 years but if you graduate early, you can transfer immediately or if you happen to have a medical waiver from a short year, continue to play towards that 4 years. Am I right on that?
Yes. That scenario is a grad transfer and it is dependent on your ability to get into a graduate program.

Reactions: rezzerfly
The rule is that you have five years from your first step onto campus as a student (not your first practice, as some believe) to play four years. Grad transfers or grad school does not change this rule. If you do graduate early with a bachelors, then you can transfer or stay at your existing school as long as you continue to be a full-time student working toward a defined graduate degree and not have to sit sit out.

I thought I remembered a Duke or NC player some years ago doing this but I might be mistaken.

As DDD points out, if a player has eligibility left after graduation, they could also remain with their school as a graduate student and play. Doesn't happen that often with high-profile programs anymore from what I remember. I thought Tim McCormick back in the day was contemplating that with Michigan but ended up leaving and getting drafted in the first round, IIRC.

I’ve wondered about Grady’s situation. Without looking it up, I’m guessing he played mop up minutes in enough games his first couple years to not qualify for a redshirt.
I don't know if you can redshirt if you are a walk-on which he was his first 2 or 3 years.

I’ve wondered about Grady’s situation. Without looking it up, I’m guessing he played mop up minutes in enough games his first couple years to not qualify for a redshirt.

He's played all four years, New Pal (11 games in '16 and 16 in '17 plus 36 games each of the last two seasons). For his Purdue tenure, he finished 37-87 (42.5%) from 3pt land, almost all of it this year......very respectable.

I don't know if you can redshirt if you are a walk-on which he was his first 2 or 3 years.
I don't want to be inaccurate in my answer and there appears to be some lack of clarity which I'm sure is cleared-up somewhere else, but I'm done researching.

It appears
1. that the play 4 of 5 applies to walk-ons
2. whether one is recruited or not may apply, but It's very unclear to me. I am sure Grady was "recruited" based on this definitions:
Recruited: If a college coach calls you more than once, contacts you off campus, pays your expenses to visit the campus, or in Divisions I and II, issues you a National Letter of Intent or a written offer of financial aid, you are considered to be recruited. In Division I, a written offer of financial aid to attend summer school before full-time enrollment does not mean you have been recruited.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Geeez, I just thought it was interesting that he might come available. I used the word "interesting" in my post. I honestly thought it fit the title of this thread. I shall commit to never adding any info to this board unless it is directly usefull and ****ing relevant.

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have 5 years to play 4 unless you're granted a waiver for injury in one sport. There has been examples such as Greg Paulus from Duke who played 4 consecutive years at Duke on their basketball team and then as a graduate student played football at Syracuse.

The One and Done while an NCAA problem is an NBA Rule...until the NBA and the Players Union change it, there is very little the NCAA can do! The Grad Transfers and the overall Transfers are their next focus of attention as they have been recently willing to grant immediate eligibility it has created a mess for teams and coaches since they became so free with granting immediate eligibility...
The NCAA could change their rules they simply choose not to do so. It's money that matters and the college game makes a ton off of one and dines

The NCAA could change their rules they simply choose not to do so. It's money that matters and the college game makes a ton off of one and dines

As I understand it, the NBA is doing away with "one and done" so it doesn't really matter what the NCAA does as the student who chooses to go directly from high school would not be under any NCAA rule.

As I understand it, the NBA is doing away with "one and done" so it doesn't really matter what the NCAA does as the student who chooses to go directly from high school would not be under any NCAA rule.
Not totally but I was speaking in historical reference. The one and done rule was welcomed with open arms by the NCAA. BTW as I understand the rule if you are drafted you are done with college ball.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I thought you'd like my concern for my fellow forum-mates

when it comes to egos, and thin skin, I could tell somebody needed a hug. Don't worry, I got your back. Ok you guys, cut Doo Dah Day some slack and don't make him mad!

I thought you were a nuclear engineer???? Wern't all NESEPs nuclear engineers?

Actually, EE and Computer Science ... I was wrong;
"Most of these men and women studied electrical engineering, were commissioned as naval officers, served their country, and following their service, led U.S. industry to the forefront in the fields of electronics and computing."

But I’m so old they didn’t let women into the NESEP program back then...Or the Academy or NROTC....darn that’s old!!!:eek:

But I’m so old they didn’t let women into the NESEP program back then...Or the Academy or NROTC....darn that’s old!!!:eek:
I did look at the NESEP list for the early 70's and noted no women - there is a lady I'm almost sure in '74 ... I'll go look if it interests you. I knew several of them from '68 thru '74 as off and on during those years, i sold mobile homes and they all bought mobile homes it seemed. Great credit LOL

I did look at the NESEP list for the early 70's and noted no women - there is a lady I'm almost sure in '74 ... I'll go look if it interests you. I knew several of them from '68 thru '74 as off and on during those years, i sold mobile homes and they all bought mobile homes it seemed. Great credit LOL
Good thing you changed careers. Trailer sales are more lucrative in southern IN.

Well, actually the NESEP was for enlisted going for officer now that I take time to think about it...duh....So that’s not a program I would have been elegible for any way. D3, you know you’re making feel old here, right? :cool:

Reactions: Do Dah Day
So you're saying you served in the WAVES???

No, the Waves were done away with long before I was commissioned in 1974. I was actually a regular line officer trained for general command, then you did subspecialties with your post grad studies. Navy actually sent me to University of Oklahoma in Norman full time for one of my MA’s and then to Catholic University in DC for my other one. I did that one part time while working in the Pentagon...Later I did the War College Curriculum in Newport but that was when I more Senior....

No, the Waves were done away with long before I was commissioned in 1974. I was actually a regular line officer trained for general command, then you did subspecialties with your post grad studies. Navy actually sent me to University of Oklahoma in Norman full time for one of my MA’s and then to Catholic University in DC for my other one. I did that one part time while working in the Pentagon...Later I did the War College Curriculum in Newport but that was when I more Senior....
That's OK. I'm old enough to kid about such things. You and I likely passed each other on campus. I was the guy without a clue at the time. Took me another 14 years to get it trending in the right direction.

Good thing you changed careers. Trailer sales are more lucrative in southern IN.
I never sold a trailer in my life ... I sold MOBILE HOMES!!! and it paid really well while in school. I did homework in between prospects.

Dang Woman!!! One of my son's went into the AF straight out of HS. He now has a PhD in Computer forensics and speaks and write/reads fluent Arabic. The service is an awesome career if you can get choice of specialty.

Reactions: pboiler18
Well, actually the NESEP was for enlisted going for officer now that I take time to think about it...duh....So that’s not a program I would have been elegible for any way. D3, you know you’re making feel old here, right? :cool:
You're still four younger than I.

I never sold a trailer in my life ... I sold MOBILE HOMES!!! and it paid really well while in school. I did homework in between prospects.
I worked in tool and die at Alcoa 11-7 and managed to steal 4-6 hours of study time a night. I don't think they have "mobile homes" south of Indy. They're more like Cousin Eddie's RV.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Could Eifert or Cline do a 5th year if they stayed for grad school? I'm not up on those rules...not saying they'd want to but still curious.
Yeah 5th year in football maybe. You don't get 5 years in a sport unless you Redshirt or sit out a year transfering. In hindsight Grady should have his freshman year but I don't anyone thought he would improve to be a serviceable player.

Dang Woman!!! One of my son's went into the AF straight out of HS. He now has a PhD in Computer forensics and speaks and write/reads fluent Arabic. The service is an awesome career if you can get choice of specialty.

It really is...Also because of the type of “stuff” I did Uncle Same showed me 41 countries. I really can’t complain, as back then most women did not get those kind of opportunities.

Reactions: AugustaBoiler90
It really is...Also because of the type of “stuff” I did Uncle Same showed me 41 countries. I really can’t complain, as back then most women did not get those kind of opportunities.
Yes, he may not have that many, but he's seen all of Europe )stationed in GR for three years) and most of N. Africa, Arabia/Middle East (oh, and Afghanistan). Lots of fascinating souvenirs. He was married in Belgium.

Last edited:
Reactions: AugustaBoiler90
Yes, he may not have that many, but he's seen all of Europe )stationed in GR for three years) and most of Africa, Arabia/N. Africa (oh, and Afghanistan). Lots of fascinating souvenirs.

My nieces and nephews thought I was the greatest Aunt ever because of my traveling!!!! Lots of cool Birthday and Christmas presents....lol!

ADVERTISEMENT