ADVERTISEMENT

Graduate Transfers

Bethboilerfan

Senior
Sep 14, 2012
NCAA may change the graduate transfers' rule to restrict graduate transfers. Colleges accepting graduate transfers would be docked a scholarship the next year if the transfer does not earn his secondary degree within a year. Interesting the Texas Tech has 2 graduate transfers playing for them this year. Mostly men's college basketball will be affected. NCAA may be right that these transfers are not really working for an advanced degree.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/sports/ncaa-final-four-graduate-transfers.html

Reactions: DAG10
If a one and done player's scholly doesn't count again at the school for four years when he had no intention of progressing to a degree then the grad transfer shouldn't be held to a higher standard. He at least finished one degree. Since when is the NCAA really interested in student success?

If a one and done player's scholly doesn't count again at the school for four years when he had no intention of progressing to a degree then the grad transfer shouldn't be held to a higher standard. He at least finished one degree. Since when is the NCAA really interested in student success?

A Grad transfer is probably more likely to go back and finish anyway if they play pro. Lets also not forget that there are 3 year grad programs that this would mess with.

Last edited:

The NCAA collectively doesn't care about academics, which is why you'll never see them do anything of meaning with one and done unless something really blows up.

If you look a little bit between the lines on this one, it's not about academics. This is about players transferring out when they still have eligibility and not having to sit a year and no consequences to school or player otherwise. The normal transfer rule limits what can happen, but schools are getting burned by losing players that still have a good year or two left and want to play at a blueblood or get exposure. (see Nate Sestina: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...kentucky-lands-bucknell-grad-transfer-sestina).

Remember that the NCAA is basically just a governing party which is controlled by the member institutions - nothing will ever happen unless the majority of the Div I schools want it to happen. NCAA still doesn't care about academics, but the majority of schools will probably jump to action when it looks like players can basically use them as a "prep school" and then move on with no consequences if they can manage to graduate in quick time.

Reactions: Klaus 7196
The One and Done while an NCAA problem is an NBA Rule...until the NBA and the Players Union change it, there is very little the NCAA can do! The Grad Transfers and the overall Transfers are their next focus of attention as they have been recently willing to grant immediate eligibility it has created a mess for teams and coaches since they became so free with granting immediate eligibility...

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
It’s all about controlling athletes. This is where the “pay them” crowd makes their strongest arguments. I happen to be in the “free education has to count as some compensation” crowd. But I can’t ignore the steadily increasing persuasiveness (to a large audience of Americans who feel that they themselves are exploited) of the folks pointing out “the farce” of amateurism.

It’s all about controlling athletes. This is where the “pay them” crowd makes their strongest arguments. I happen to be in the “free education has to count as some compensation” crowd. But I can’t ignore the steadily increasing persuasiveness (to a large audience of Americans who feel that they themselves are exploited) of the folks pointing out “the farce” of amateurism.

I mean even if your don't believe in paying, which I'm fine either way. Why not give a few more option to kids who get their degrees. But any time coaches get "butthurt" because they didn't like an an outcome they take away options from the student athletes.

I've loved every single 5th year we've had. Even Carter who wasn't great, still added value. And I was very happy for Taylor getting a 5th year at Hofstra.

It's a great thing. Stop being idiots and trying to keep whiny, loser coaches who can't keep their players, happy.

The One and Done while an NCAA problem is an NBA Rule...until the NBA and the Players Union change it, there is very little the NCAA can do! The Grad Transfers and the overall Transfers are their next focus of attention as they have been recently willing to grant immediate eligibility it has created a mess for teams and coaches since they became so free with granting immediate eligibility...
You are right - and I have been reading articles all over the place that the NBA will do away with the "one and done" rule in draft of 2022. They previously allowed an 18 year old player to declare for NBA draft right after high school so it restored that right. LeBron went straight from high school but I don't know the year.

You are right - and I have been reading articles all over the place that the NBA will do away with the "one and done" rule in draft of 2022. They previously allowed an 18 year old player to declare for NBA draft right after high school so it restored that right. LeBron went straight from high school but I don't know the year.

2003, and IIRC - the second last year before the "at least one-year" rule. Dwight Howard the next year I think was the last to jump from high school to the NBA.

It looks like Kerry Blackshear Jr., VaTech, may become a grad transfer ... nothing official, but would be interesting if he does. 6' 10" 250 - - - 14.9/7.5

It looks like Kerry Blackshear Jr., VaTech, may become a grad transfer ... nothing official, but would be interesting if he does. 6' 10" 250 - - - 14.9/7.5
It is widely known he wants to leave one way or another

That being said why would he want to come to purdue?

I personally would like more parity in college basketball, and transfering from a mid major to a kentucky hurts that. Id rather see bucknell have a better year.

Tariq Owens and Mooney at TT carried them to the title game. I think they were both grad transfers from St. John’s and South Dakota respectively. Helped them to reload this year. It would be good to grab one now that Carsen left. Then have the scholly for the 2020 HS class.

He's a 4 . . . we need a 4???
He played every minute at the 5 last year.

I don't get what the obsession with a 4 is we have wheeler and Painter probably is planning on slotting Twill at the 4 some why would you take two guys in him and Dow if you plan to play both only as a 5

I don't get what the obsession with a 4 is we have wheeler and Painter probably is planning on slotting Twill at the 4 some why would you take two guys in him and Dow if you plan to play both only as a 5
Geeez, I just thought it was interesting that he might come available. I used the word "interesting" in my post. I honestly thought it fit the title of this thread. I shall commit to never adding any info to this board unless it is directly usefull and ****ing relevant.

Geeez, I just thought it was interesting that he might come available. I used the word "interesting" in my post. I honestly thought it fit the title of this thread. I shall commit to never adding any info to this board unless it is directly usefull and ****ing relevant.

and "crystal" clear..... :)

giphy.gif

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Many folks take more than 12 months to write a thesis.....

I don't think, in most fields, that a thesis is any longer required at the master's level. It is of course, at the PhD level but none of these transfers would be at that level. There are many fields where you can not complete a Masters in a year. I suspect that many of these grad transfers are not serious about an advanced degree????

I don't think, in most fields, that a thesis is any longer required at the master's level. It is of course, at the PhD level but none of these transfers would be at that level. There are many fields where you can not complete a Masters in a year. I suspect that many of these grad transfers are not serious about an advanced degree????

Why do you suspect that? Seems pretty biased take. Spike was just a grifter? What about Evan? Peck?

Why do you suspect that? Seems pretty biased take. Spike was just a grifter? What about Evan? Peck?
First, I am not suggesting anything about a specific player. And I apologize to anyone who took my comment to mean a specific individual.

Second, that idea came from an article on why the NCAA is doing this - apparently, according to article, grad transfers, in general, take the minimum number of classes, classes that are low level for their major, etc. Also, according to the article, grad transfers, in general, are there to showcase their talents in hopes that the NBA will take notice and that is their most important reason.

First, I am not suggesting anything about a specific player. And I apologize to anyone who took my comment to mean a specific individual.

Second, that idea came from an article on why the NCAA is doing this - apparently, according to article, grad transfers, in general, take the minimum number of classes, classes that are low level for their major, etc. Also, according to the article, grad transfers, in general, are there to showcase their talents in hopes that the NBA will take notice and that is their most important reason.
I respect the article, but I wonder how many (honestly, if any) grad transfers have ever gone to the League? Taking older players seems to be a major NOPE. Interesting theory in the article that may have no substantiation.

Last edited:
Anybody else find it rather ironic (and that may be a generous term) that the NCAA, the last bastion of boldly championing student athletic endeavors, has a problem with actual students (who will have obtained a degree from a member institution) "showcasing" their talents for a future professional career in an advanced degree program - yet seem to have little to no concerns over the influence being asserted for prospective "students" (many of whom will not obtain a degree (or seriously/diligently pursue one) within the time frame of their athletic eligibility) by shoe companies, financial advisers, AAU circuits, and other self-interested groups in what also appears to be a much more obvious "showcase" of talents.

And none of the early entrants to the draft or NBA hopefuls took the bare minimum or heavens-to-Betsy attended little or no classes the Spring semester......right......

Who you kidding?

Sorry for the rant......now, get off my Lawn......it's Spring, and the "fertilizer" has to soak in.

giphy.gif

Wheeler has yet to prove himself as a consistent, starting caliber 4.

Love Tre, but he will never be able to guard a quality B1G stretch 4.

Gillis will probably red shirt.

Yes, we could use another 4 next season.

Wheeler has yet to prove himself as a consistent, starting caliber 4.

Love Tre, but he will never be able to guard a quality B1G stretch 4.

Gillis will probably red shirt.

Yes, we could use another 4 next season.

"Never" is a long time. Given his progression over the course of the season, I'm not sure I'd sell Tre short when it comes to becoming mobile enough to play alongside another big.

In any case, I think the more likely scenario is that we offer LaRavia (who may accept on the spot) and perhaps another combo-guard.

Reactions: Purdue85
It's the group who believe everyone should get a trophy, and everyone should get a paycheck if the don't work and earn it.

Reactions: bonefish1

I should have waited 45 years for my MA and not have had to do that darn thing!!:D

Don't apologize. You never accused anyone of being a d@mn "grifter."

Goodness.

I should have waited 45 years for my MA and not have had to do that darn thing!!:D
I thought you were a nuclear engineer???? Wern't all NESEPs nuclear engineers?

Actually, EE and Computer Science ... I was wrong;
"Most of these men and women studied electrical engineering, were commissioned as naval officers, served their country, and following their service, led U.S. industry to the forefront in the fields of electronics and computing."

Last edited:
Could Eifert or Cline do a 5th year if they stayed for grad school? I'm not up on those rules...not saying they'd want to but still curious.

Could Eifert or Cline do a 5th year if they stayed for grad school? I'm not up on those rules...not saying they'd want to but still curious.

I am also curious and have a couple of questions . Do either have a year of eligibility left? Also, can you remain at the same school?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT