ADVERTISEMENT

Good to see football back!!!!

Spring fling might be back, but I really doubt FB at Purdue under Brohm will be much different. Sorry....not trying to tick anyone off, but it's the way I've seen it since he was hired.

This is now officially weird.

We get it: You hate Brohm. You sh*t on him any chance you get.

Good grief, dude. Les Miles isn't coming here. Hells Bells... Les is still looking for a win for the 2020 season, with his last game mercifully canceled, to save him from double-digit losses.

Your judgement in the area of hiring football coaches doesn't amount to much.

Reactions: Evergr8ful

Good grief, dude. Les Miles isn't coming here. Hells Bells... Les is still looking for a win for the 2020 season, with his last game mercifully canceled, to save him from double-digit losses.

Calm down sweet heart. I don't hate anyone....though there's a few I could. Miles is on a one year contract, the same as Brohm should be. And if you can sit there and type these words, "Brohm is my hero and he will lead us to 10 wins" with a straight face, your opinion of a great coach is further into left field than AOC. And stating a fact about someone is not shitting on them.

I’m teeter tottering at this moment. Can the recruiting of 4 yrs and a few new coaches bring Purdue back to a winning season and bowl eligibility? Injuries and Covid are no longer. It is put up or shut up time for the coin CJB is making. I want to believe, but I’m choosing the show me route.

I don't hate Brohm...at all...but, his last game was mercifully canceled as well, saving him from further embarrassment, and, a likely double-digit loss also.

Again today...nothing of substance at all...although he was finally at least a little transparent regarding injuries.

I look at what Purdue/Brohm did to address the absolute debacle that hiring Diaco was and what happened as a result on that side of the ball...and I read or listen to his comments today, and, I just can't get past what a huge mistake that was...many questioned the hiring to being with, and, in hindsight, it defies all logic. Then I look at what IU/Allen did...and, it just compounds the disappointment and frustration.

That all said, new season...a chance to change things...and, things can't be worse seemingly than they were. I like the collective group on that side much better, although I am still skeptical of the co-DC matter (especially with Poindexter as part of it).

I’m teeter tottering at this moment. Can the recruiting of 4 yrs and a few new coaches bring Purdue back to a winning season and bowl eligibility? Injuries and Covid are no longer. It is put up or shut up time for the coin CJB is making. I want to believe, but I’m choosing the show me route.
This year has to be the year we see a winning record at the very least. It’s year 5 with all the recruits being his now and on his 3rd defensive coordinator. There is no doubt that Brohm re energized Purdue football but there has to be results on the field and scoreboard

Reactions: purduepat1969
I don't hate Brohm...at all...but, his last game was mercifully canceled as well, saving him from further embarrassment, and, a likely double-digit loss also.

Again today...nothing of substance at all...although he was finally at least a little transparent regarding injuries.

I look at what Purdue/Brohm did to address the absolute debacle that hiring Diaco was and what happened as a result on that side of the ball...and I read or listen to his comments today, and, I just can't get past what a huge mistake that was...many questioned the hiring to being with, and, in hindsight, it defies all logic. Then I look at what IU/Allen did...and, it just compounds the disappointment and frustration.

That all said, new season...a chance to change things...and, things can't be worse seemingly than they were. I like the collective group on that side much better, although I am still skeptical of the co-DC matter (especially with Poindexter as part of it).
At the risk of sounding dramatic, 2021 will be a pivotal season for Brohm’s tenure at Purdue.

This year has to be the year we see a winning record at the very least. It’s year 5 with all the recruits being his now and on his 3rd defensive coordinator. There is no doubt that Brohm re energized Purdue football but there has to be results on the field and scoreboard
The Haze re energized PU football C....for a year. Brohm's wins came with Haze's boys.

Calm down sweet heart. I don't hate anyone....though there's a few I could. Miles is on a one year contract, the same as Brohm should be. And if you can sit there and type these words, "Brohm is my hero and he will lead us to 10 wins" with a straight face, your opinion of a great coach is further into left field than AOC. And stating a fact about someone is not shitting on them.
I'm calm, sweetie. You're the one who gets all worked up at the thought of Brohm being our head coach.
He's living rent free.
You can't post anything about him without sh*tting on him.
As I've stated multiple times, he'll survive or he'll fail. That's on him. Constantly carping on about him as you do just looks really weird.

Reactions: Level 42
It will be nice to have some football news. Of course, it will be second hand news, since practices will be closed to everyone still. I was hoping for a Spring Game for the public, but I knew it was a long shot.

I didn’t realize Yanni will be out most of Spring ball or limited at best. I knew he had the hamstring issue during the Fall, but I didn’t know it was still this bad. Brings back flashbacks of Rondale. I am glad we have been able to get rid of ACL U from the early 2010s. I just hope we don’t become Hamstring U now.

Reactions: DAG10 and tenwest
Ok, I am glad to see football back. It gives us a chance to talk about it and hopefully see some positive development of the guys we have heard about for so long during recruiting, signing etc,

This thread however didn't get off to a good start.

TD you did $hit on Brohm, but I doubt he really cares, but you also $hit on posters that want to have a conversation. You did not state a fact, it was an opinion. Kind of like being that guy in your group when your out for a night of fun who only wants complain about everything. And when you bring up the Haze, you really lose credibility. Do you want to go back to losing to Central Michigan by 30 and did I read that right you like Les Miles? He lost over half his games by 30+ this year.

DAG, that statement about Purdue's last game getting "mercifully cancelled" is a bit dramatic. Every loss this year was a close game that could have gone either way. To say it would have been an embarrassment is a bit of a stretch. If that game was played, my money would have been on the Boilers.

Anyway, I have no problem scrutinizing Brohm. He's paid well and needs to perform,, but let's please use a little perspective. The Boilers were in every game this past year until the very end. It is my opinion that we could be very close to flipping those results. For the record, I also don't understand the Diaco hire and Brohm's secrecy is getting a little annoying. I think I read where all spring practices are closed. Sure would be nice to get some reports from at least a couple of practices and how about a real depth chart. Hopefully he will open things up a bit.

I'm a bit bummed to hear Yanni will be out much of the spring. That will make it tough for him to compete for a spot in the fall, but not impossible. I also don't like the fact Grant will be out. He has all the physical tools, but he needs all the practice he can get to learn the system. He had a tough time learning Diaco's, but hopefully this will be simpler for him. It was interesting that Brohm wouldn't call Grahm a linebacker, but labeled him a nickle/safety. I know Diaco's scheme was all screwed up, but it sure looked like he was a linebacker to me.

Reactions: DAG10
Ok, I am glad to see football back. It gives us a chance to talk about it and hopefully see some positive development of the guys we have heard about for so long during recruiting, signing etc,

This thread however didn't get off to a good start.

TD you did $hit on Brohm, but I doubt he really cares, but you also $hit on posters that want to have a conversation. You did not state a fact, it was an opinion. Kind of like being that guy in your group when your out for a night of fun who only wants complain about everything. And when you bring up the Haze, you really lose credibility. Do you want to go back to losing to Central Michigan by 30 and did I read that right you like Les Miles? He lost over half his games by 30+ this year.

DAG, that statement about Purdue's last game getting "mercifully cancelled" is a bit dramatic. Every loss this year was a close game that could have gone either way. To say it would have been an embarrassment is a bit of a stretch. If that game was played, my money would have been on the Boilers.

Anyway, I have no problem scrutinizing Brohm. He's paid well and needs to perform,, but let's please use a little perspective. The Boilers were in every game this past year until the very end. It is my opinion that we could be very close to flipping those results. For the record, I also don't understand the Diaco hire and Brohm's secrecy is getting a little annoying. I think I read where all spring practices are closed. Sure would be nice to get some reports from at least a couple of practices and how about a real depth chart. Hopefully he will open things up a bit.

I'm a bit bummed to hear Yanni will be out much of the spring. That will make it tough for him to compete for a spot in the fall, but not impossible. I also don't like the fact Grant will be out. He has all the physical tools, but he needs all the practice he can get to learn the system. He had a tough time learning Diaco's, but hopefully this will be simpler for him. It was interesting that Brohm wouldn't call Grahm a linebacker, but labeled him a nickle/safety. I know Diaco's scheme was all screwed up, but it sure looked like he was a linebacker to me.
If they put him at Nickel against spread teams, he is essentially like a weakside LB.

If they put him at Nickel against spread teams, he is essentially like a weakside LB.
Well, if he would have called him a LB/Nickel, I could see that, but he never played more than a couple yards off the line of scrimmage. I didn't see safety at all last year. Now maybe they have different plans.

Well, if he would have called him a LB/Nickel, I could see that, but he never played more than a couple yards off the line of scrimmage. I didn't see safety at all last year. Now maybe they have different plans.
He played LB last year, you are correct.

Post #2 in this thread was a slap in the face to the OP. If you just want to complain about Brohm's record, start your own thread. And try to offer something more insightful and original than the same cold, rehashed take.

I am glad to have football back to follow, but spring reports have betrayed us in the past and there isn't much access or information other than what comes directly from the mouths of coaches. So my excitement probably won't start up until fall practice. Maybe we'll get some glimpses of freshmen and maybe some guys made some gains the past few months.

Post #2 in this thread was a slap in the face to the OP. If you just want to complain about Brohm's record, start your own thread. And try to offer something more insightful and original than the same cold, rehashed take.

I am glad to have football back to follow, but spring reports have betrayed us in the past and there isn't much access or information other than what comes directly from the mouths of coaches. So my excitement probably won't start up until fall practice. Maybe we'll get some glimpses of freshmen and maybe some guys made some gains the past few months.
I'm just glad Diaco got canned, never understood his hiring

Reactions: DAG10
I'm calm, sweetie. You're the one who gets all worked up at the thought of Brohm being our head coach.
He's living rent free.
You can't post anything about him without sh*tting on him.
As I've stated multiple times, he'll survive or he'll fail. That's on him. Constantly carping on about him as you do just looks really weird.
If I point out that he's 19-25 overall at Purdue, and that he's 14-19 in conference in four years at Purdue, is that shitting on him? If I point out that he's had one winning season (his first year) at Purdue, is that defecating on him as you say? If I point out that his first season was his best, and every year after that first has gone down hill, am I again s*itting on him?

Those are the facts 85...nothing more and nothing less. Every team in the game had to deal with Covid this past year and will this year to some extent. A lot of those other schools with fairly new coaches did okay....why not Brohm? Why not at Purdue?

I've told you before that I hope he does win big. I don't hate the guy at all. PU football fans need that right now. As for Les...he's done after this year for sure if he doesn't show great...GREAT improvement. And I would still have preferred him at PU. Maybe both coaches are at the wrong school.

Shouldn't Brohm be expected to have his best year at PU this year? I thought year four was considered the "magical" year. I thought everything was in place last year for that accomplishment. How many coaches does he have to hire and fire before the "facts" point out that it might just be the head coach.

I'm big on earning your pay....and to date, Brohm even with two bowl games has not done that. Fact is, I don't think his teams are fun to watch, his schemes show no excitement or leadership....his defense....well, even you have to admit it sucks.

My apologies if some think I've hijacked this thread....wasn't my intent at all. Fact is, I don't believe he's ever going to get the job done in West Laffy....nothing indicates to me that he's capable of doing that.

And...Facts are a funny thing...your's might not be the same as mine, but they're still facts none the less. I'm still waiting for facts that prove he deserves to be making the money he's making here, or that he even deserves to be at Purdue.

Peace and a blessed weekend.

If I point out that he's 19-25 overall at Purdue, and that he's 14-19 in conference in four years at Purdue, is that shitting on him? If I point out that he's had one winning season (his first year) at Purdue, is that defecating on him as you say? If I point out that his first season was his best, and every year after that first has gone down hill, am I again s*itting on him?

Those are the facts 85...nothing more and nothing less. Every team in the game had to deal with Covid this past year and will this year to some extent. A lot of those other schools with fairly new coaches did okay....why not Brohm? Why not at Purdue?

I've told you before that I hope he does win big. I don't hate the guy at all. PU football fans need that right now. As for Les...he's done after this year for sure if he doesn't show great...GREAT improvement. And I would still have preferred him at PU. Maybe both coaches are at the wrong school.

Shouldn't Brohm be expected to have his best year at PU this year? I thought year four was considered the "magical" year. I thought everything was in place last year for that accomplishment. How many coaches does he have to hire and fire before the "facts" point out that it might just be the head coach.

I'm big on earning your pay....and to date, Brohm even with two bowl games has not done that. Fact is, I don't think his teams are fun to watch, his schemes show no excitement or leadership....his defense....well, even you have to admit it sucks.

My apologies if some think I've hijacked this thread....wasn't my intent at all. Fact is, I don't believe he's ever going to get the job done in West Laffy....nothing indicates to me that he's capable of doing that.

And...Facts are a funny thing...your's might not be the same as mine, but they're still facts none the less. I'm still waiting for facts that prove he deserves to be making the money he's making here, or that he even deserves to be at Purdue.

Peace and a blessed weekend.
You still don't get it, in spite of others in this thread pointing it out to you.

My expectations of Brohm are irrelevant, as are yours.

I've stated before (likely even direct it to you), and I've repeatedly posted that Brohm will survive or fail on his own. That's irrespective of, and regardless of, my expectations, demands, or any hissy fit I might decide to throw on an internet forum. His future is up to his team's performance, as well as the latitude provided by Bobinski, Daniels, and the rest of Purdue leadership.

You say you don't "hate' the guy, and I'll take your word for it. Yet, you randomly crap on him on the forum when it's not even called for. Which is what you did in the post to which I responded, which was only the 2nd post in this thread. That's your idea of a rational post to someone happy that football is back. Think about that for a moment. You're so consumed with ... this "disposition" ... toward Brohm, that you cannot help yourself. That's a really bad look, brother.

We're all "big on earning your pay". That doesn't make you special. What makes you "special" is your incessant p*ssing and moaning about him.

You ask, "A lot of those other schools with fairly new coaches did okay....why not Brohm? Why not at Purdue?" That's a valid question. Yet, when people engage in such analysis, you'll have none of it, and start with the "EXCUSES!...EXCUSES!...EXCUSES!" nonsense.

I don't think you're a bad guy. I just think Jeff Brohm has you so sideways on this forum you cannot do anything BUT "hijack" threads.

I'll return the wishes, and hope you have a great (and blessed) weekend, as well.

After reading the couple articles yesterday it started to get me pumped up already.

Sad to hear about Yanni. That sucks for him but get health and come to summer/fall mentally prepared to come in and play.

I was very excited to hear Brohm talk about wanting a defense that allowed the players to be more aggressive and take some chances.

Maybe it was just me but seemed like perhaps there was dissension on how the defense played last year like the coaches weren’t on the same page. I could be reading too much into it but that would explain how quickly the plug was pulled.

Oh also excited to see the lb Cox also enrolled early. He has good size and could provide some depth if he can get spun up on everything.

Reactions: krf3632
When I posted this I was hoping for something positive and new things, not the old things discussed ad nauseum. Looking for a hopeful future, reasons to be positive, not an inglorious past.

Oh man I forgot about O,Connell. Very sad for me because I am rooting for the kid but him being limited this spring should allow the coaches to see a lot of Burton and Alaimo. Great opportunity for those guys to show something.

Oh also excited to see the lb Cox also enrolled early. He has good size and could provide some depth if he can get spun up on everything.
I'm with you on Cox. It was interesting to hear Brohm mention that they think he can play a little DE along with LB. I know he was a top priority for the staff.

Reactions: Beorik and krf3632
You still don't get it, in spite of others in this thread pointing it out to you.

My expectations of Brohm are irrelevant, as are yours.

I've stated before (likely even direct it to you), and I've repeatedly posted that Brohm will survive or fail on his own. That's irrespective of, and regardless of, my expectations, demands, or any hissy fit I might decide to throw on an internet forum. His future is up to his team's performance, as well as the latitude provided by Bobinski, Daniels, and the rest of Purdue leadership.

You say you don't "hate' the guy, and I'll take your word for it. Yet, you randomly crap on him on the forum when it's not even called for. Which is what you did in the post to which I responded, which was only the 2nd post in this thread. That's your idea of a rational post to someone happy that football is back. Think about that for a moment. You're so consumed with ... this "disposition" ... toward Brohm, that you cannot help yourself. That's a really bad look, brother.

We're all "big on earning your pay". That doesn't make you special. What makes you "special" is your incessant p*ssing and moaning about him.

You ask, "A lot of those other schools with fairly new coaches did okay....why not Brohm? Why not at Purdue?" That's a valid question. Yet, when people engage in such analysis, you'll have none of it, and start with the "EXCUSES!...EXCUSES!...EXCUSES!" nonsense.

I don't think you're a bad guy. I just think Jeff Brohm has you so sideways on this forum you cannot do anything BUT "hijack" threads.

I'll return the wishes, and hope you have a great (and blessed) weekend, as well.
Brohms biggest problem is that he isn’t Les.

I'm with you on Cox. It was interesting to hear Brohm mention that they think he can play a little DE along with LB. I know he was a top priority for the staff.

I was shock to see him listed in hs at 235 lbs. Thats a big lb in high school. With him enrolling early there is a chance he could be 245-250 by the start of the season.

I was shock to see him listed in hs at 235 lbs. Thats a big lb in high school. With him enrolling early there is a chance he could be 245-250 by the start of the season.
I doubt we see him much outside of maybe special teams. Best scenario would be for him to redshirt.

And he played RB as well as LB so you know he moves well.

Reactions: Beorik
I doubt we see him much outside of maybe special teams. Best scenario would be for him to redshirt.

Yes probably. But I am still excited to see him in early. We all know how a couple injuries can change things and as thin as we have been at lb it will be nice if we can get him ready quicker.

Yes probably. But I am still excited to see him in early. We all know how a couple injuries can change things and as thin as we have been at lb it will be nice if we can get him ready quicker.
Yep, still excited to see what he can do. We actually have quite a few LBs but yes very little proven depth. Let's hope some of those RSF and Sophomores make some big strides this year.

Reactions: Beorik
Oh, great. Now you've done it.
Wole when he reads that...

giphy.gif

Not really. Half the starters were jucos or grad transfers. Hazell left a burned out roster with few big ten players and no depth

The "Brohm only won with Hazell's recruits" is such a farce. 1. (as stated, Brohm brought in a lot of transfers his first year to solidify the team), and 2) if we're going to give the credit to Hazell for his recruits -- WHICH WERE ABIYSMAL by every ranking service -- then why did he go backwards every year in wins?

I've asserted that Brohm won first first year by playing loose and aggressive on both sides of the ball (trick plays, misdirection, lots of blitzing...). We've not seen that since. And, has has been beat to death, the injuries 2 years ago just killed any momentum he had going.

Even with all that's happened the last couple of years; I still think we're in WAY better shape than we were during Hazell's last two years.

I'm still waiting for facts that prove he deserves to be making the money he's making here, or that he even deserves to be at Purdue.
There is always a lot of discussion of his pay on this board. His pay is high relative to a lot of other factors, which I am not debating or referencing.

However, I will offer a different perspective, like a CEO of a business. If the business makes more money in profit, does the CEO deserve more pay? IE think profit sharing (bonuses) or being entitled to stock and options. If so, then consider this information from PENNLIVE / USATODAY (slightly different #'s from other sources):

2016 season (.67M deficit) attendance (<35k) ($32.4M in BIG10 payout)
2017 season (1.4M deficit) attendance (48k) ($36M in BIG10 payout)
2018 season (27.5M profit) attendance (51k) ($51M in BIG10 payout)

Original hire: 6 yrs for $20M.
Updated 2019: 7 yrs for $36.8M.

Even if you throw in the full $16.8M add to his contract (not accounting for the additional year you'd pay someone else at least $3.5M, etc) the football team is still money ahead with the Brohm hire. Again, I'm not discussing merit of the hire or extension, just the economics of what Brohm brought to Purdue football.

Regarding 2021, having Notre Dame and Ohio State (CFP participants) in the schedule is not ideal, I think this team is a lot more solid than years past. I expect good things in 2021. I just wish there was a dynamic QB to take the offense (and team) to the next level.

Reactions: npb and Poprudy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT