ADVERTISEMENT

Good, bad, ugly.

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
Good: team showed resilience in fighting back. They’ve done this in 2 games now when some previous Purdue teams would have lid down. Props for that.
Blough slung it down field a lot and connected. Having down field threats is huge. He also made a few great back shoulder throws.

Bad: young, inexperienced defense just not ready yet. Not their fault but it’ll be like this all year.
Sparks not securing that catch. I thought it was a bad call to overturn, but Sparks can’t bobble that. That was a great throw, he made a good adjustment, got both hands on it, but bobbled it and that’s what the replay ref saw.

Ugly: mental errors, defensive penalties. Those are usually mental mistakes. The flag on 4th and 5 on the punt was on the coaches. 3 games in a row with huge 4th quarter defensive penalties is unacceptable.

Offensively, we can't ask for much more than that. Over 600 yards of offense and 37 points. I liked that we had a lot of TE involvement. If we can't find a way to win while putting up 37 points then it is going to be a long season for us. To me the biggest thing holding us back is the complete lack of a pass rush. We just cannot allow the opposing QB's to stand back in the pocket that long.

I was so proud of our offense this week for limiting the turnovers. Great game for Blough. For the most part he made really solid decisions out there. Better game planning from the coaching staff as well.

Purdue just can't make the plays when needed, mostly on defense. Young team slowly doing better each game though . A few players away from a really good team .
My guess is Purdue is going to go with Dedrick Mackey and Simeon Smiley at CB with Major and Blackmon being the backups/nickel back. That will build nicely for next year with the additions on the defensive line but the real jump will be 2020 when the offensive line and defensive line are given two more years to develop while Plummer and the offensive skill positions develop more continuity.

In 2020, you’ll have three upperclassman LB’s with Cornel Jones, Derrick Barnes, and Jaylan Alexander leading there with some very good DB’s with tons of experience in Ball, Smiley, and Mackey...not including Marvin Grant who had a legit shot to be a four year starter at S. On the defensive line, you’ll have Reviere, Watts, Marks, Deen, Craavack (all already getting experience) and adding GK, Kpaka, and Faucheux. If you can’t see the absolute potential of that defense in a few years, you need to review the film more from the first three weeks to see the growth potential under Holt and Brohm. That’s DL could be ranked at or near the best in the B1G in 2020 and the entire unit could be as good as the 2004 defense that had tons of NFL talent on it.

On the offensive side, Purdue has to replace a lot of OL but Hermanns is a piece to build around at tackle along with McKenna and Beach. The one thing that needs to really pick up is the offensive line development but I trust that will get better and better. The QB position isn’t a worry imo and Plummer and Piferi will be the future of that position and both were largely considered some of the better passers at their position nationwide. RB will need an influx of talent as the top three backs leave in 2018 (Jones and Knox) and 2018 (Fuller) but Rice and Hewitt are considered fine backs but RB is a position that a young player can be successful at. WR will continue to get better and better being led by Moore and Sparks along with Anthrop, Taylor, and Hamilton already in the program. Sheffield and hopefully David Bell would make the position incredibly deep.

My point is this: This season will be a struggle but Brohm is lucky to allow his young players to be brought along a bit slower than having to throw them in the fire. As the season goes, my guess is the younger guys will see more and more time. The 2019 season could be a bit better with a senior QB but the offensive line will be a bit of a struggle but there will be depth on defense and very good skill at DB and WR. The true test of Brohm’s ability to build a program and his vision will come in 2020 as laid out previously.

My guess is Purdue is going to go with Dedrick Mackey and Simeon Smiley at CB with Major and Blackmon being the backups/nickel back. That will build nicely for next year with the additions on the defensive line but the real jump will be 2020 when the offensive line and defensive line are given two more years to develop while Plummer and the offensive skill positions develop more continuity.

In 2020, you’ll have three upperclassman LB’s with Cornel Jones, Derrick Barnes, and Jaylan Alexander leading there with some very good DB’s with tons of experience in Ball, Smiley, and Mackey...not including Marvin Grant who had a legit shot to be a four year starter at S. On the defensive line, you’ll have Reviere, Watts, Marks, Deen, Craavack (all already getting experience) and adding GK, Kpaka, and Faucheux. If you can’t see the absolute potential of that defense in a few years, you need to review the film more from the first three weeks to see the growth potential under Holt and Brohm. That’s DL could be ranked at or near the best in the B1G in 2020 and the entire unit could be as good as the 2004 defense that had tons of NFL talent on it.

On the offensive side, Purdue has to replace a lot of OL but Hermanns is a piece to build around at tackle along with McKenna and Beach. The one thing that needs to really pick up is the offensive line development but I trust that will get better and better. The QB position isn’t a worry imo and Plummer and Piferi will be the future of that position and both were largely considered some of the better passers at their position nationwide. RB will need an influx of talent as the top three backs leave in 2018 (Jones and Knox) and 2018 (Fuller) but Rice and Hewitt are considered fine backs but RB is a position that a young player can be successful at. WR will continue to get better and better being led by Moore and Sparks along with Anthrop, Taylor, and Hamilton already in the program. Sheffield and hopefully David Bell would make the position incredibly deep.

My point is this: This season will be a struggle but Brohm is lucky to allow his young players to be brought along a bit slower than having to throw them in the fire. As the season goes, my guess is the younger guys will see more and more time. The 2019 season could be a bit better with a senior QB but the offensive line will be a bit of a struggle but there will be depth on defense and very good skill at DB and WR. The true test of Brohm’s ability to build a program and his vision will come in 2020 as laid out previously.
the "expert" johnnydunceboiler weighs in again with his "expert" breakdown of purdont's problems. IU 3-0, purdont 0-3. goodbye bucket!

the "expert" johnnydunceboiler weighs in again with his "expert" breakdown of purdont's problems. IU 3-0, purdont 0-3. goodbye bucket!
Man, all those years and I can’t remember making a screen name to Indiana’s board to search for some type of approval that I obviously didn’t get when I was younger.

Congrats, IU is 3-0. Good for you. I only care about anything related to IU if I have to go see a doctor or the 3 days a year when Purdue plays IU in men’s basketball and football (and if they play in the BTT). You seem to frequent here often...Purdue must mean more to you than IU does to posters like myself.

How is the bucket going back to Bloomington because we are 0-3? Honest question.

As a Missouri fan you guys were fantastic and I always have great respect for your football program. Purdue and Missouri have good historical football moments. I like your coach after the joke Darrel Hazzell who is like Woody Widenhofer. I thought last year was going to be an easy win for us, but this year I was nervous this guy Jeff Brohm is a talented coach who can win any game. Hell in his first season he beat Iowa and Missouri with a much less talented roster than those two programs. That game scared me more this season than the Tennessee or Florida game IMO.

You guys have nothing to be ashamed about. Not like Rutgers or Nebraska now go win the Big 10 because I hate Ohio State.

Man, all those years and I can’t remember making a screen name to Indiana’s board to search for some type of approval that I obviously didn’t get when I was younger.

Congrats, IU is 3-0. Good for you. I only care about anything related to IU if I have to go see a doctor or the 3 days a year when Purdue plays IU in men’s basketball and football (and if they play in the BTT). You seem to frequent here often...Purdue must mean more to you than IU does to posters like myself.
i don't really care, but you are such a weird dude though. i have seen comments from you before and you try to pass yourself off as such an expert. you are one of those guys that think you can say what ever you want and no one should question you. just calling you out.

well, lets see. 0-3 is just the beginning. the difference between the two programs will be huge by that last game. hence, goodby bucket.
How so? What does iu have that is going to make them better by the end of the season but Purdue isn't going to get better? As in, are you saying it is going to get better by the end of the season, but not Purdue? If so, how do you figure?

well, lets see. 0-3 is just the beginning. the difference between the two programs will be huge by that last game. hence, goodby bucket.
Always funny when an IU fan comes around to talk smack about football. I mean your last .500 season IU had was in 2007. You have no room to talk smack to any other fan base until your team can, at the very least, bring home a winning season.

You are correct that we are 0-3. We have lost 3 games by a combined margin of 8pts. Two of our games were against power 5 conference opponents. IU barely beat Virginia and beat up on a couple of high school teams. Awesome start for you!

The reality is that the bucket game will most likely be a close game that could go either way. If we manage to find a pass rush by the time we play that game IU won't stand a chance. There endeth the lesson!

Always funny when an IU fan comes around to talk smack about football. I mean your last .500 season IU had was in 2007. You have no room to talk smack to any other fan base until your team can, at the very least, bring home a winning season.

You are correct that we are 0-3. We have lost 3 games by a combined margin of 8pts. Two of our games were against power 5 conference opponents. IU barely beat Virginia and beat up on a couple of high school teams. Awesome start for you!

The reality is that the bucket game will most likely be a close game that could go either way. If we manage to find a pass rush by the time we play that game IU won't stand a chance. There endeth the lesson!
I like how iu is going to get better, but purdue's underclassman defense isn't.

you lost 3 games by a combined 8 points. the key word in that sentence is "lost". you will not get extra credit points for who you played or how much you lost by. 0-3 is 0-3. 2 wins this year will be great for purdont. good luck. IU will show up, and that is a bad thing for purdont. that will make 5 losses in the last 6 games to IU.

you lost 3 games by a combined 8 points. the key word in that sentence is "lost". you will not get extra credit points for who you played or how much you lost by. 0-3 is 0-3. 2 wins this year will be great for purdont. good luck. IU will show up, and that is a bad thing for purdont. that will make 5 losses in the last 6 games to IU.
How is it a forgone conclusion iu will win. Give me some statistical evidence besides record that iu is better.

i don't really care, but you are such a weird dude though. i have seen comments from you before and you try to pass yourself off as such an expert. you are one of those guys that think you can say what ever you want and no one should question you. just calling you out.

Hmmm, you consider people with a wealth of knowledge in certain areas to be ‘weird’? Got it. I happen to follow Purdue football extensively, have some sources inside the program and the media, and like to share that with my fellow Boilers. If you go back, you’ll realize that a lot of analysis isn’t far off from what actually occurs and I think a fair share of posters here would agree with that point.

You were the one who decided to poke your nose in my business, not the other way around. I have had zero issue being called out when I was wrong. If you followed this board and read my posts as you have claimed, you would know that. It’s why I wear the dunce hat.

Do you believe Alan Karpick (owner of GBI) to be weird because he passes himself off to be an ‘expert’ even though I believe he has neither played nor coached at a high level of football? I doubt it. If you are going to try to call someone out, try the myriad of other posters here who can’t back up their history of posts with reputable results and a track record a mile long. You may also want to try and ‘troll’ someone else who gives a damn about your opinion because yours doesn’t matter around here a whole hell of a lot.

Hmmm, you consider people with a wealth of knowledge in certain areas to be ‘weird’? Got it. I happen to follow Purdue football extensively, have some sources inside the program and the media, and like to share that with my fellow Boilers. If you go back, you’ll realize that a lot of analysis isn’t far off from what actually occurs and I think a fair share of posters here would agree with that point.

You were the one who decided to poke your nose in my business, not the other way around. I have had zero issue being called out when I was wrong. If you followed this board and read my posts as you have claimed, you would know that. It’s why I wear the dunce hat.

Do you believe Alan Karpick (owner of GBI) to be weird because he passes himself off to be an ‘expert’ even though I believe he has neither played nor coached at a high level of football? I doubt it. If you are going to try to call someone out, try the myriad of other posters here who can’t back up their history of posts with reputable results and a track record a mile long. You may also want to try and ‘troll’ someone else who gives a damn about your opinion because yours doesn’t matter around here a whole hell of a lot.
OMG! johnny get a grip. i called you out because you really don't seem to know shit. you love posting because you think people are impressed with your "knowledge". another wannabe that tries to pass himself off as an expert. all i'm doing is calling it as i see it. sorry if i won't just except your "track record".

OMG! johnny get a grip. i called you out because you really don't seem to know shit. you love posting because you think people are impressed with your "knowledge". another wannabe that tries to pass himself off as an expert. all i'm doing is calling it as i see it. sorry if i won't just except your "track record".

And again, you are calling out someone who doesn’t care what other people think. There are multiple people on here who have been called out for the exact thing you are trying to call me out for that post here regularly. I never laid claim to be in an ‘expert’ rather you gave me the title.

I share my thoughts and feelings and back those up with numbers and stats. If that’s called ‘not knowing s***’ then I guess that Purdue education that taught me to do just that doesn’t mean squat.

Also, when will you realize that you have been getting played this entire time? I’ve already explained to you multiple times I don’t value your opinion of me personally yet here you continue to post as though I do. I’ve dealt with better trolling from 8 year olds on Fortnite but it’s been fun to continue running you around in circles. Guess if what you claim is true, the posts I have would have zero likes but, alas...the few thousand I do have tell a different story.

Now, I’ve got better things to do...like getting myself ready for my classes tomorrow where I can pretend to be an expert like I do on here.

And again, you are calling out someone who doesn’t care what other people think. There are multiple people on here who have been called out for the exact thing you are trying to call me out for that post here regularly. I never laid claim to be in an ‘expert’ rather you gave me the title.

I share my thoughts and feelings and back those up with numbers and stats. If that’s called ‘not knowing s***’ then I guess that Purdue education that taught me to do just that doesn’t mean squat.

Also, when will you realize that you have been getting played this entire time? I’ve already explained to you multiple times I don’t value your opinion of me personally yet here you continue to post as though I do. I’ve dealt with better trolling from 8 year olds on Fortnite but it’s been fun to continue running you around in circles. Guess if what you claim is true, the posts I have would have zero likes but, alas...the few thousand I do have tell a different story.

Now, I’ve got better things to do...like getting myself ready for my classes tomorrow where I can pretend to be an expert like I do on here.
getting "played"? listen junior, i don't waste my time playing stupid games like fortnite or passing myself as an "expert" like you do. or bragging about your education and how smart you are. your attitude is what is in question. if you want to love purdue and follow them, for what ever reason, more power to you. i randomly from time to time read other message boards. i would say like most people do.
your user name is unique so i noticed you. but what i really noticed is you pass yourself off as the know all of purdue football. i had a little fun over here but it is played out, i don't take this or myself that serious. and to let you know about getting "played" i am not a IU fan or follower or alumni. i don't care about purdue or indiana football. the team i follow, has had real success for 100 years against both those programs. have more fun with this, but no you are not any kind of expert. good bye.

getting "played"? listen junior, i don't waste my time playing stupid games like fortnite or passing myself as an "expert" like you do. or bragging about your education and how smart you are. your attitude is what is in question. if you want to love purdue and follow them, for what ever reason, more power to you. i randomly from time to time read other message boards. i would say like most people do.
your user name is unique so i noticed you. but what i really noticed is you pass yourself off as the know all of purdue football. i had a little fun over here but it is played out, i don't take this or myself that serious. and to let you know about getting "played" i am not a IU fan or follower or alumni. i don't care about purdue or indiana football. the team i follow, has had real success for 100 years against both those programs. have more fun with this, but no you are not any kind of expert. good bye.

Sure seem to take yourself serious since you have continued to argue with me for no apparent reason other than to police a message board and a member of that message board you have zero affiliation to. Also, I've continually strung you along on a ride you have now said you didn't even want to take. I never claimed I was smart (just mentioned the strenuous nature of a Purdue degree which has been noted in multiple media outlets) nor did I ever claim myself as an 'expert.' That was a title given to me by you...so THANKS! I think I should include that in my tagline from now on and give you credit for it! It'll be a little piece of you I take with me everywhere I go on Rivals!

Last edited:
Reactions: Inspector100
I wouldn't waste much time replying to Pistol. He has not put anything of value on the board except some numbers that everyone already knows. He is here to taunt, and oddly, gain our approval. He probably doesn't recognize the latter but that is what this is all about. Best to let him vegetate without response.

This will end after IU loses their first game, which might be next weekend. After that he might have trouble puffing his chest out and coming over here. In any case, we should treat him kindly because IU football is all he has, and if you think about it, good God that's sad.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I wouldn't waste much time replying to Pistol. He has not put anything of value on the board except some numbers that everyone already knows. He is here to taunt, and oddly, gain our approval. He probably doesn't recognize the latter but that is what this is all about. Best to let him vegetate without response.

This will end after IU loses their first game, which might be next weekend. After that he might have trouble puffing his chest out and coming over here. In any case, we should treat him kindly because IU football is all he has, and if you think about it, good God that's sad.
But....But....But....his team has dominated Purdue AND IU for 100 years. In all honesty, not a great accomplishment if you are college football fan, lol.

Good: team showed resilience in fighting back. They’ve done this in 2 games now when some previous Purdue teams would have lid down. Props for that.
Blough slung it down field a lot and connected. Having down field threats is huge. He also made a few great back shoulder throws.

Bad: young, inexperienced defense just not ready yet. Not their fault but it’ll be like this all year.
Sparks not securing that catch. I thought it was a bad call to overturn, but Sparks can’t bobble that. That was a great throw, he made a good adjustment, got both hands on it, but bobbled it and that’s what the replay ref saw.

Ugly: mental errors, defensive penalties. Those are usually mental mistakes. The flag on 4th and 5 on the punt was on the coaches. 3 games in a row with huge 4th quarter defensive penalties is unacceptable.
I don't blame the coaches directly for the flag on the punt. It's a lack of focus by the players on the sideline. You need to stay in the game mentally even when you're on the sidelines. People who are on each special team know that they're on it and it's up to them to be ready without being told individually. That lack of focus is a maturity issue, just as you called out regarding the defense. That said, I would say that the coaches need to create the culture that demands that players stay focused an mentally engaged at all times. This is usually helped along by the veteran players who also hold their younger teammates accountable and set the standard. Without that veteran leadership the culture falls entirely on the coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT