ADVERTISEMENT

Going to sound like a broken record...

Don’t we have position coaches? I mean I saw today we are like 2nd in Big in sacks. Does he get credit for that? Maybe it’s the DB coach that needs replaced?

DB coach needs evaluated for sure. Moseley's cushion on the first OT TD was awful. And he's the Sr leader of the DBs. LB's are bad too, and I think that is Holt's area.

DB coach needs evaluated for sure. Moseley's cushion on the first OT TD was awful. And he's the Sr leader of the DBs. LB's are bad too, and I think that is Holt's area.
Disagree. The receiver stopped and turned at the last minute instead running a true post route. The DB recovered as quickly as possible, but the ball got there first. It was a well designed play. Not the DB's fault.

Reactions: jindy
Disagree. The receiver stopped and turned at the last minute instead running a true post route. The DB recovered as quickly as possible, but the ball got there first. It was a well designed play. Not the DB's fault.

There were way too many missed assignments, which are the DBs fault...

LOL!!! Sorry you are so wrong! it was actually a short route,,,,,, he should have been back peddling on the route instead of having his back turned against the play! God awful coverage period.

Smiley, not Mosely

but fire Holt. Guys out of position everywhere. A new coach would do this Defense wonders!
A couple of things to note on the cry to replace DC.
1. It is really difficult to defend in today’s college game... especially with the RPO. IU runs their offense well and does a nice job of keeping defenses off balance.
2. IUs offense isn’t a junior league offense. They are 2nd in BIG in total offense only behind OSU and believe have scored 30 plus points in seven games.
3. Holding IU to 31 points in regulation is excellent. Yes... IU missed 3 FGs... but I thought Purdue’s DC adapted very well to what IU was doing in run game... plus they applied pressure much better as they especially targeted 3rd string OT for IU.
4. Holt’s a very proven coach and has been successful for many years. He just needs more “Jimmies and Joes”. IUs DC is very young with much to learn. I am sure many of us who are IU fans would gladly trade Wommack for Holt.
5. No need to get angry about your staff. They are very good. You all have a lot to look forward re: good football by PU.

1. It is really difficult to defend in today’s college game... especially with the RPO. IU runs their offense well and does a nice job of keeping defenses off balance.
2. IUs offense isn’t a junior league offense. They are 2nd in BIG in total offense only behind OSU and believe have scored 30 plus points in seven games.
3. Holding IU to 31 points in regulation is excellent. Yes... IU missed 3 FGs... but I thought Purdue’s DC adapted very well to what IU was doing in run game... plus they applied pressure much better as they especially targeted 3rd string OT for IU.
4. Holt’s a very proven coach and has been successful for many years. He just needs more “Jimmies and Joes”. IUs DC is very young with much to learn. I am sure many of us who are IU fans would gladly trade Wommack for Holt.
5. No need to get angry about your staff. They are very good. You all have a lot to look forward re: good football by PU.

If I was a fan of our opponents I would love our coaching too. I loved Crean as IU bball coach. I wish they kept him around.

Reactions: pboiler18

Agree with much of what you've said. A well run RPO puts additional pressure on defenses, especially one with less depth and experience. Though Purdue has far more freshmen in their two deeps on D, both schools have quite a bit returning next year.

A correction - iu is actually 3rd in the conference in total offense, and scored 30+ six times. Comparing stats using non-conference games doesn't work well as some teams play weaker competition than others.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Agree with much of what you've said. A well run RPO puts additional pressure on defenses, especially one with less depth and experience. Though Purdue has far more freshmen in their two deeps on D, both schools have quite a bit returning next year.
Sorry. I am using BIG stats. And yes... I was mistaken.... IU scored 30 plus in 9 games. Jeez. Also, you can’t use freshmen as an excuse.... except perhaps in the trenches... especially by the end of the year. We love to play our freshmen as they are simply better and know that PUs are also very good. BTW.... 71% of our team are either freshmen ore sophomores.... and we love them all! https://bigten.org/confstats.aspx/2019-20/fb/confldrs?path=football
A correction - iu is actually 3rd in the conference in total offense, and scored 30+ six times. Comparing stats using non-conference games doesn't work well as some teams play weaker competition than others.

Agree with much of what you've said. A well run RPO puts additional pressure on defenses, especially one with less depth and experience. Though Purdue has far more freshmen in their two deeps on D, both schools have quite a bit returning next year. Sorry... I was just using BIG stats from the website. I think you understand my point. Yes... I was mistaken. IU has scored 30 plus in nine games. Again... my point is this IU offense is very good. As for freshmen... no excuses there except for linemen as well as the fact there are no freshmen at the end of the year. we love to play ours as they are better and I know PUs are very good also.

Okay.... just got the data from BIG website... we’re 2nd.... and we actually have 9 games of scoring over 30.....but who cares.... I hope you get my point. This IU offense is very good. As for freshmen... no excuses especially at end of year... with the exception of most linemen (sans Karlaftis). We love our freshmen as many are better...same goes with PUs freshmen who are also very good. Just as an FYI.... 71% of our squad are freshmen and sophs and we love them all and don’t makes excuses for them.

Okay.... just got the data from BIG website... we’re 2nd.... and we actually have 9 games of scoring over 30.....but who cares.... I hope you get my point. This IU offense is very good. As for freshmen... no excuses especially at end of year... with the exception of most linemen (sans Karlaftis). We love our freshmen as many are better...same goes with PUs freshmen who are also very good. Just as an FYI.... 71% of our squad are freshmen and sophs and we love them all and don’t makes excuses for them.

Again, 3rd and 6 games using CONFERENCE ONLY stats(which are available on the Big Ten site as well). Including iu's weakest in the Big Ten non-conference games skews the stats. Ironically on defense iu gave up 30 or more points in 6 games as well(again, in conference stats).

I do get your point and(again) agreed with much of it. Are 71% of iu's SCHOLARSHIP roster freshmen and sophomores? Including walk-on players that are listed on college rosters inflates those percentages typically.

Again, 3rd and 6 games using CONFERENCE ONLY stats(which are available on the Big Ten site as well). Including iu's weakest in the Big Ten non-conference games skews the stats. Ironically on defense iu gave up 30 or more points in 6 games as well(again, in conference stats).

I do get your point and(again) agreed with much of it. Are 71% of iu's SCHOLARSHIP roster freshmen and sophomores? Including walk-on players that are listed on college rosters inflates those percentages typically.

. Ha.... I have never boasted about our defense. The focus is this discussion is Purdue Nation’s desire to fire DC Holt and my point that the IU offense is very good.

Don’t we have position coaches? I mean I saw today we are like 2nd in Big in sacks. Does he get credit for that? Maybe it’s the DB coach that needs replaced?

This caused me to check out who these coaches are. I was always curious that Holt was Co-defensive coordinator. Lots of travels for position coaches and odd that several spent time at UConn, not exactly a powerhouseMay. Fundamentally I think Brohm has an accountability problem. Too many co-coordinators, who is in charge? No wonder we look so confused.

IU offense is not good.

They were better than Purdue's defense last Saturday but they are not good. All their wins have come against weak teams with losing records.
When they play a .500 team they lose.

And, Purdue took them to 2OT with a walk on QB in his start that could be counted on one hand.

I wish them luck going forward and hope they represent the B10 well but if they MO holds true, they will lose their bowl game as they will play a team above .500.

Nice post, good observations. We have issues but firing Holt would be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
IU offense is not good.

They were better than Purdue's defense last Saturday but they are not good. All their wins have come against weak teams with losing records.
When they play a .500 team they lo

And, Purdue took them to 2OT with a walk on QB in his start that could be counted on one hand.

I wish them luck going forward and hope they represent the B10 well but if they MO holds true, they will lose their bowl game as they will play a team above .500.
. I like your high standards for offense as IU could use certainly improve on depth on OL.... but the numbers simply neutralize your bias. I know it may be difficult to admit it.... but IU offense is good. Yes.... IU did not beat the big 4 in BIG east but IU also beat everyone they were supposed to beat.

. I like your high standards for offense as IU could use certainly improve on depth on OL.... but the numbers simply neutralize your bias. I know it may be difficult to admit it.... but IU offense is good. Yes.... IU did not beat the big 4 in BIG east but IU also beat everyone they were supposed to beat.
Keep scheduling those FCS teams!

IU offense is not good.

When they play a .500 team they lose.

not necessarily so, I've seen many times where a team w/ a better record doesn't have much motivation to play someone w/ a lesser record in a bowl game.

There were way too many missed assignments, which are the DBs fault...
I agree that the DBs Seemed to be out of place and blew some coverages quite often. But it’s kind a like this, I think. When you’re D-line Is so decimated that you know if the other team runs the ball you’re going to have to come up and help to prevent the running back from breaking free the entire secondary and linebackers are cheating up throughout the game. That’s my take I think it’s pretty accurate but I could be wrong

I agree that the DBs Seemed to be out of place and blew some coverages quite often. But it’s kind a like this, I think. When you’re D-line Is so decimated that you know if the other team runs the ball you’re going to have to come up and help to prevent the running back from breaking free the entire secondary and linebackers are cheating up throughout the game. That’s my take I think it’s pretty accurate but I could be wrong

When you're playing 10 yards off the receiver and backing up past the 1st down marker, I'm not sure how you could be in run support...

Correct and glad to see Purdue is scheduling like IU —

No, Purdue is NOT scheduling like iu(maybe Ben Davis is - I haven't checked). Over the next 5 seasons ('20 - '24) iu plays 3 games against FCS teams, just 2 against P5 teams(and zero before 2023) and just 4 road games(only 1 versus a P5 team, in 2024).
Conversely Purdue plays just 2 games against FCS teams while playing 8 games against P5 programs (including 2 against Notre Dame) and plays 6 road games with 5 of those against P5 opponents (including the 2021 game at Notre Dame). Next season's non-conference schedule for Purdue includes a P5 opponent(away) and home games against 2 current top 25 teams(Memphis and Air Force). Hell, Purdue plays more non-conference games against P5 teams in the next two seasons than iu does in the next FIVE combined.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
ADVERTISEMENT