ADVERTISEMENT

Glimpse of the future

BBG

All-American
Jun 18, 2001
Global
www.beeradvocate.com
This may of happened before and I didn't notice it, but at one point in the second half we had a lineup of Haas, Biggie, Edwards, Dakota and PJ I think.

What made it stand out for me was even with Haas scoring there was a lot of nice ball movement and Maryland didn't seem to know who to defend.

Was pretty cool to see and gave me hope for moving forward. Anyone else see it or was it my beer induced imagination?

yes was a cool to see, and Haas did well on the offensive side.....but was exposed on defense.

Stone dominated him on offense with his quick feet.....

Haas will work on his speed this offseason and in bad matchups with quick centers, J. Taylor next year will be able to guard and match up against them.

Future is bright for sure.....

Did you notice IU played 3 Freshman when they beat PU and 4 Freshman when they beat IL.....Just saying

Did you notice IU played 3 Freshman when they beat PU and 4 Freshman when they beat IL.....Just saying
No guarantees on any of yours or ours improving tremendously or being back. Other than Swanni and CLine, ours are not freshmen and have a bit of off-season history to base predictions on. Your freshman don't have that. Based on proven work-ethic and having two years under their belts going into the off-season, ours give a lot of basis for good expectations.

No guarantees on any of yours or ours improving tremendously or being back. Other than Swanni and CLine, ours are not freshmen and have a bit of off-season history to base predictions on. Your freshman don't have that. Based on proven work-ethic and having two years under their belts going into the off-season, ours give a lot of basis for good expectations.
We will have four juniors next season that have logged serious minutes for two entire seasons. Then we add back in ultra athletic redshirt junior Basil to go with lone senior Stephens. Biggie has logged serious minutes as a frosh and Cline has shown he can play. Top it off with redshirt frosh Taylor and we will have a veteran team next year.

If Edwards lives up to some of his hype and we maybe grab a grad transfer. We could be looking at a solid ten man rotation again next season.

If we get a good class in '17. That five man senior class could end up being the winningest class in history at Purdue.

The future is certainly bright. I think this team has some more good things ahead as well. We have a pretty good team. They have their faults for sure. So does every other team. But we just won two huge games going into March. This last game was the best all around game this year and against a good team with lots of size and athletes.

I am please with where we are and are heading. Much better then two years ago.

We will have four juniors next season that have logged serious minutes for two entire seasons. Then we add back in ultra athletic redshirt junior Basil to go with lone senior Stephens. Biggie has logged serious minutes as a frosh and Cline has shown he can play. Top it off with redshirt frosh Taylor and we will have a veteran team next year.

If Edwards lives up to some of his hype and we maybe grab a grad transfer. We could be looking at a solid ten man rotation again next season.

If we get a good class in '17. That five man senior class could end up being the winningest class in history at Purdue.

The future is certainly bright. I think this team has some more good things ahead as well. We have a pretty good team. They have their faults for sure. So does every other team. But we just won two huge games going into March. This last game was the best all around game this year and against a good team with lots of size and athletes.

I am please with where we are and are heading. Much better then two years ago.
You say it much better than I do. Thanks

If IH makes anywhere near the gains on D that he did this previous off season on O he'll be a true monster next season.

Haas is never going to be super quick, but still could improve his footwork. I think a bigger factor will be Swanigan. He has a LOT of room to grow in terms of defense. When he becomes an effective defender, the combo of Haas/Swanigan could be more effective than Hammons. Right now with Hammons/Swanigan, Swanigan's defense has gotten better, but it's still not good, so leaves things vulnerable inside sometimes.

I don't know who IU has to take yogi's place or will IU play a lot different next year? I can see Purdue playing essentially the same way but adding a little quicker 6'9" player and a scoring capable guard to slide in. I'm guessing IU will want to play fast again, but losing yogi may alter that some. Even though it was at IU I tend to think Purdue loss the game for the lack of focus and energy for several minutes

Our offense might be better next year but our defense figures to take a big step backwards without our best perimeter defender and our rim protector. Haas is not close to Hammons defensively. Few are. And when we face teams with multiple dynamic perimeter options, we have issues because Davis can only slow down one. I'm not sure how we can do anything but assume we will be worse defensively.

Reactions: cprh9u and Tegray1
G. Weatherford can be a supplement for lost perimeter defensive tenacity. I think our athleticism goes up next year.

without hammons, we dont win against maryland. while haas scored a little, he was being used at the other end by anyone who drove the basket. he has improved over last year but will have to improve a lot to be the force we need in the middle next year

Reactions: Tegray1
After seeing Haas's dramatic improvements in some areas (e.g. FT's) this year, I would not bet against him making another round of improvements for next year. Both he and Biggie are resilient hard workers... Watch and see. I have a feeling it won't feel like a big drop off, with each of them coming back with noticeable improvement at lateral movement necessary for effective D. And Taylor too - if he can play up to his potential...

Our offense might be better next year but our defense figures to take a big step backwards without our best perimeter defender and our rim protector. Haas is not close to Hammons defensively. Few are. And when we face teams with multiple dynamic perimeter options, we have issues because Davis can only slow down one. I'm not sure how we can do anything but assume we will be worse defensively.

PU'S defense will be much worse without the rim protector and Davis the stopper. IU has Josh Newkirk who transferred from Pitt and is sitting out for an experienced point guard. Haas is horrible on defense. He can't defend screen role. A lot of improvement is needed there.

PU'S defense will be much worse without the rim protector and Davis the stopper. IU has Josh Newkirk who transferred from Pitt and is sitting out for an experienced point guard. Haas is horrible on defense. He can't defend screen role. A lot of improvement is needed there.

He may be experienced but he's no Yogi. I figure IU to take a step back too without him and I would assume their schedule will not be nearly as cozy next season. If Bryant leaves too they would be relying on role players or newcomers to step up and fill some huge voids and before you say you get Blackmon back I'm not sure that's even a good thing.

After seeing Haas's dramatic improvements in some areas (e.g. FT's) this year, I would not bet against him making another round of improvements for next year. Both he and Biggie are resilient hard workers... Watch and see. I have a feeling it won't feel like a big drop off, with each of them coming back with noticeable improvement at lateral movement necessary for effective D. And Taylor too - if he can play up to his potential...

I can see Haas improving offensively but I don't think he will ever be able to evolve into what Hammons is defensively. He just will never have that type of athleticism.

Reactions: Tegray1
He may be experienced but he's no Yogi. I figure IU to take a step back too without him and I would assume their schedule will not be nearly as cozy next season. If Bryant leaves too they would be relying on role players or newcomers to step up and fill some huge voids and before you say you get Blackmon back I'm not sure that's even a good thing.

If Bryant leaves that would be huge. They have another Top 40 BIG coming in. Having an experienced PG is important and Newkirk is one. Not playing a freshman. OG and Morgan will be really good on defense and allow you to play Blackmon. Hartman is an important player coming back. Bryant staying is the big thing.

If Bryant leaves that would be huge. They have another Top 40 BIG coming in. Having an experienced PG is important and Newkirk is one. Not playing a freshman. OG and Morgan will be really good on defense and allow you to play Blackmon. Hartman is an important player coming back. Bryant staying is the big thing.
IU always has "STAR" power. Losing Yogi will change IU unless they replace the quickness. IU may be better and they may not, but I suspect they will not be able to do the same things and may do some other things better and other things not as well. Defense? The NCAA is doing all they can to remove defense from the game.

When did three IU freshmen contribute against Purdue. It was all Yogi, Beifelt, Zeisloft, Williams, and Johnson. They are three seniors and two juniors, and Williams is going pro.

You are right. IU's freshman class had better numbers than Purdue. Your three had 22 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists while Purdue's two had 17 points, 9 rebounds and 3 assists. That's not a huge difference and the bulk of those numbers may very well go pro this year.

On the flip side, our sophomore class had 18 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists, while yours had 6 points, 3 rebounds and 1 assist.

I really believe Blackmon leaves IU at the end of the season. He's been told that his defense has to improve drastically to get playing time, and without him, IU has done a much better job on the defensive end. As for Bryant, what does he have to gain by staying another year?

Where's Bryant going? Not the NBA, that's for sure.

Is he on the 1 year IU degree track?

Your defense is only as good as your worst defender, and Blackmon is horrible. I think even Crean might understand this now. I bet he transfers.

I think it takes two years, not one. When knight was there he wanted 5 years for a four year degree...something must have changed...

I won't comment on IU's situation, but I will give you my take on 2017 Purdue Team. Even as he is now, Haas changes opponent's shots. Hammons waits for the shot to go up and then blocks. Haas stands with his hands over the shooter, and stops the shot, forcing either a circus type maneuver, or a pass back out of the paint. He will never have the block numbers Hammons has, but he is just as effective in the paint defensively. We may miss Hammons offense more than his defense.

As for replacing Ray Davis, I think we will be okay from a physical perspective. Smotherman is an excellent high-energy defender. He may be better at defending stretch 4's and tall 3's than Ray Day. Ray was often assigned taller players, and he did okay by pure hustle. Smotherman brings that same hustle. It is Ray's off-court leadership we will miss. I hope others step up. Swanigan, Mathias, and Cline all have potential leadership in their DNA.

As for defending opponents' guards, that will be done by committee. Mathias, Stevens, and Cline will be okay, but not as good as Davis. The offset is that all 3 will be more of a scoring threat than Ray. The idea is to score more points than the opponent, which can be done through either better defense or better offense. Remember, Ray Day came into his own his Junior year. Mathias and Edwards will be juniors next year.

I don't expect much impact from the 2016 class. Carson will be an important addition, but the 2017 class will be the hallmark for Purdue and not the 2016 class.

:cool:

A

rankings-bar-n.png

Domantas Sabonis
rankings-bar-n.png

Zhou Qi
rankings-bar-n.png

Thomas Bryant
rankings-bar-n.png

Isaia Cordinier
rankings-bar-n.png

Juan Hernangomez
Again, what's he going to gain staying at IU one more year and a possible injury.

I just don't see it. Bryant a better "prospect" than Hammons? Hammons is better at pretty much everything. Who would Bryant guard in the NBA? Too slow to guard the 4, too small to guard the 5.
He's a young pup with a good body and some ability. Lots of "potential" upside. I can see a bunch of NBA teams going for him over a mature, well developed big that what you see is what you get. Not much upside left for AJH at this point of development.

As I mentioned in my post, individually, Haas replacing Hammons is a step down in terms of defense. But right now, Swanigan is not really good at defense. So our overall interior defense is good because of Hammons, but it's left us extremely vulnerable on the inside too because of Swanigan and Hammons is having to make up for mistakes.

If Swanigan becomes a solid defender, the COMBO of Haas and Swanigan can be just as good of a combo as we have now. Haas isn't going to be as good as Hammons, but Swanigan next year should be a lot better than Swanigan this year.

As for overall defense, while not a complete solution, keep in mind a guy we have on our team with experience that isn't playing: Basil. He's a solid defender.

He's a young pup with a good body and some ability. Lots of "potential" upside. I can see a bunch of NBA teams going for him over a mature, well developed big that what you see is what you get. Not much upside left for AJH at this point of development.
You aren't going to develop those heavy feet. Teams will throw it to the guy he is guarding every time down the floor, and he will get taken off the dribble. NBA coaches are ruthless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT