ADVERTISEMENT

Give Brohm Credit

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
We seem to play down to our competition sometimes, but give Brohm credit on ranked teams.

Brohm really always seems to get our team ready to play whenever we play ranked teams.

Another episode of the Spoilermakers today. Boiler up!

Last edited:
that 4th down call by Fleck was a bad move, but he knows they didn't deserve to win it after dropping a wide open TD ( INT) and missing a 26 yd FG
I could not decide at halftime if Purdue should have been up by more, or, actually down.

The 4th down call was brutal...the decision to go for it on its own was a really bad one, but, the call itself was just brutal. That Purdue could not even generate a first down off of that was disappointing, and, at the time, I wondered admittedly if it might not come back and bite them.

Brohm gets a lot of grief for similar bad decisions or other things, but, Brohm/staff was really good yesterday, and, Fleck/staff was flat awful.

Reactions: pboiler18
I could not decide at halftime if Purdue should have been up by more, or, actually down.

The 4th down call was brutal...the decision to go for it on its own was a really bad one, but, the call itself was just brutal. That Purdue could not even generate a first down off of that was disappointing, and, at the time, I wondered admittedly if it might not come back and bite them.

Brohm gets a lot of grief for similar bad decisions or other things, but, Brohm/staff was really good yesterday, and, Fleck/staff was flat awful.
I don’t think brohm has ever made a decision that bad. Missed some 50/50 decisions, maybe 30/70. But that was more like 10/90.

we put up better numbers offensively than others against minnys solid defense. And we did it with a banged up QB, some walk on RBs, our #2 WR out, and missing a starting OL on the road. Our defense was incredible. We did well.

I don’t think brohm has ever made a decision that bad. Missed some 50/50 decisions, maybe 30/70. But that was more like 10/90.

we put up better numbers offensively than others against minnys solid defense. And we did it with a banged up QB, some walk on RBs, our #2 WR out, and missing a starting OL on the road. Our defense was incredible. We did well.
Every point made here a good one, especially that last paragraph.

There have been some bad or suspect decisions at times, but, to your point...nothing that came close to that...it was not just the decision to go for it, but, the crap play call once that decision had been made.

Like say, I know I have been critical of some things that Brohm has done at times or in games/situations, but, Fleck was flat awful on Saturday, across the board...I am not sure if it was ignorance or arrogance, but, either way, he was horrible.

We seem to play down to our competition sometimes, but give Brohm credit on ranked teams.

Brohm really always seems to get our team ready to play whenever we play ranked teams.

Another episode of the Spoilermakers today. Boiler up!

Unimpressive win, but win is a win I guess.

Brohm 1-4 vs Minnesota I think.....hopefully step in right direction... improving.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Unimpressive win, but win is a win I guess.

Brohm 1-4 vs Minnesota I think.....hopefully step in right direction... improving.

2-4 now.....won in '17 (his first year) as well.

Also....been a long time I think that Purdue had consecutive seasons with a road win over a ranked opponent ('21 - @ Iowa; '22 - @ Minnesota).

Last edited:
2-4 now.....won in '17 (his first year) as well.

Also....been a long time I think that Purdue had consecutive seasons with a road win over a ranked opponent ('21 - @ Iowa; '22 - @ Minnesota).
The home game with the lightening delay and the LB pick 6 to seal the win (Bentley, was it?)

Happy days were here again and Brohm owned the Fleckster for one glorious year.

The home game with the lightening delay and the LB pick 6 to seal the win (Bentley, was it?)

Happy days were here again and Brohm owned the Fleckster for one glorious year.

BOOM, Baby!

633b8320176a1160574099.gif

To be fair, Purdue/Brohm won there in '20 as well...they just had it taken away unfortunately.
Yup and that would tip the series in Brohms direction overall. Look, they guy is not perfect but to be unhappy with his tenure here and compare him to Hope is laughable. He took over the program in one of its darkest places and turned us into a winner (bowl eligible) immediately. He’s recruited exciting and good players here. He’s taking advantage of and winning in the portal IMO.

Again, I think it’s fair to criticize some elements of the program at times but we have a team that’s basically always competitive now (vs When Hope was coach we knew we were getting crushed by good teams) and with last year and hopefully this year we will be winning at a clip akin to Tiller. Now, it’s time to long term correct the mistakes, continue to recruit well and improve the overall talent level and then continue to fill holes via the portal when HS recruiting doesn’t cut it.

If we can do that, I don’t think it necessarily matters if we cut out divisions in the conference…at that point we should compete with most anyone not named Ohio State.

Yup and that would tip the series in Brohms direction overall. Look, they guy is not perfect but to be unhappy with his tenure here and compare him to Hope is laughable. He took over the program in one of its darkest places and turned us into a winner (bowl eligible) immediately. He’s recruited exciting and good players here. He’s taking advantage of and winning in the portal IMO.

Again, I think it’s fair to criticize some elements of the program at times but we have a team that’s basically always competitive now (vs When Hope was coach we knew we were getting crushed by good teams) and with last year and hopefully this year we will be winning at a clip akin to Tiller. Now, it’s time to long term correct the mistakes, continue to recruit well and improve the overall talent level and then continue to fill holes via the portal when HS recruiting doesn’t cut it.

If we can do that, I don’t think it necessarily matters if we cut out divisions in the conference…at that point we should compete with most anyone not named Ohio State.
Agree...like say, Brohm absolutely outcoached Fleck on Saturday...by a very wide margin.

I still have some concerns (maybe doubts even) about recruiting and the portal...but, he has managed to hit on some guys at least with both...I feel like he missed a chance to build some momentum and capitalize on it, but, maybe he still can/will...regardless, to your point, to at least have the program back to more than just respectability, especially with what he inherited, is both incredibly impressive, and, at least in my own case, incredibly appreciated.

I do feel like it should be farther along in cases...and, I still am disappointed about all of the problems around a genuine quality DC (or, lack thereof actually)...and, I am a bit worried about where things go after this year, but, you are right in that the mere fact that we even discuss things now vs when Hazell was there is pretty amazing. When he arrived, I just wanted somebody that could put a competent team on the field, and, maybe be entertaining hopefully...mission accomplished, literally in his very first game at Purdue.

Recruiting has to get better and more consistent as well...he was incredibly fortunate that Karlaftis and Bell were willing to take a chance (and, Moore before them)...he needs to find others of the same caliber and same mindset/willingness.

ADVERTISEMENT