ADVERTISEMENT

Gillis

Is that true? Understand that there's a correlation there between Caleb and Zach's minutes, but I'm not sure that it's causal, i.e. not sure Caleb is playing more minutes because MP prefers him with Zach.

It may be true, but if so that's a change from before Mason got hurt. My guess, and I could be completely wrong, is that Matt thinks that Caleb has a higher ceiling and needs more minutes and also likes his length on the defensive end and on the boards. I'm biased though because I think that offensively, Mason is a better fit with Zach. Given that we're #1 nationally in offensive efficiency, I could be wrong
D1 college basketball coaches have this software program that calculates the offensive and defensive efficiency of different lineup combinations so they're definitely at least aware of who plays well together

Is that true? Understand that there's a correlation there between Caleb and Zach's minutes, but I'm not sure that it's causal, i.e. not sure Caleb is playing more minutes because MP prefers him with Zach.

It may be true, but if so that's a change from before Mason got hurt. My guess, and I could be completely wrong, is that Matt thinks that Caleb has a higher ceiling and needs more minutes and also likes his length on the defensive end and on the boards. I'm biased though because I think that offensively, Mason is a better fit with Zach. Given that we're #1 nationally in offensive efficiency, I could be wrong.
You may be right as well. Yeah it's not step-for-step, since Edey is playing more minutes than Furst. But that might be more a function of how well Edey is playing vs TKR. It's strange because I think Furst and Gillis have such similar games that they should be more interchangeable.

D1 college basketball coaches have this software program that calculates the offensive and defensive efficiency of different lineup combinations so they're definitely at least aware of who plays well together
Yup, totally get it, it's not as though MP and staff are taking a stab in the dark and they certainly have better data than I do.

This may have just been a one off as Mason has been averaging almost 22 mpg over the last six games prior to MSU, perhaps because MSU was using single coverage on Zach and limiting open three attempts, which IMO is Mason's greatest advantage over Caleb (in addition to just being a BAMF). I say that recognizing that Mason has generally struggled from deep since returning from his injury.

Morton guarded Hogard 80 % of game, Matt put him on Walker the last 3 mins of game.
I never paid attention to the time, but it was a calculated chance due to Walker being hot. Had Hogard physically had his way to score the final bucket...Matt would have questioned that move...as would Matt in the many things he does that don't work out the way he hoped. Walker continued to score, but we understand Matt's thought process...

Edey playing all these minutes is amazing, can’t believe how good that kid has been. I like Furst at the 4, would love to see him shoot a few more 3’s a night, he’s got a nice shot. Really fun team to watch, stressful though, these games got me pacing around the house like a madman, my wife sneakily video tapes me, she’s captured some great moments lol
I'd like to see him look for any kind of shot more. Looks like he has a few moves in his arsenal, just doesn't put them on display much.

ADVERTISEMENT