ADVERTISEMENT

Gillis

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
Only 12 minutes yesterday, look, Matt is a great Coach but is there some reason Gillis is only playing 12 minutes? Maybe he’s still a little injured? Hate to pile on Morton but going forward at 6 foot 5 or 6 I would think that Gillis can play the 3 some minutes, would love to at least see him in the 18-20 minute range, chop Ethan’s to that range as well. Just a thought, I do appreciate some of Morton’s game, however, I have to believe Gillis can play the 3 a bit.

Dear God. Let’s leave Morton alone. He handles the ball twice as well as Gillis. We needed defenders and ball handlers out there, not another 6’‘6” guy who eats space but can’t stay in front of MSU’s crafty guards.

I am glad though, you have figured out why we have such a bad win-loss record this year. No doubt if we put Gillis in place of Morton we might get over .500. :cool:

Gillus can be a catch and shoot 3 he has a great shot.

Ryan Cline didn't dribble excessively and Clay Thompson scored scored 60 points on 11 dribbles so being a great ball handler isn't required

Only 12 minutes yesterday, look, Matt is a great Coach but is there some reason Gillis is only playing 12 minutes? Maybe he’s still a little injured? Hate to pile on Morton but going forward at 6 foot 5 or 6 I would think that Gillis can play the 3 some minutes, would love to at least see him in the 18-20 minute range, chop Ethan’s to that range as well. Just a thought, I do appreciate some of Morton’s game, however, I have to believe Gillis can play the 3 a bit.
When an opposing team goes with three guards, CMP can't play Gillis at the 3.

Gillis doesn't have the quickness to stay in front of a guard.

Dear God. Let’s leave Morton alone. He handles the ball twice as well as Gillis. We needed defenders and ball handlers out there, not another 6’‘6” guy who eats space but can’t stay in front of MSU’s crafty guards.

I am glad though, you have figured out why we have such a bad win-loss record this year. No doubt if we put Gillis in place of Morton we might get over .500. :cool:
Paint sat Morton for an extended stretch in the game yesterday. That seems to be a sign he sees things the OP is seeing. I doubt we see much Gillis at the 3 but, if Morton is struggling on both ends as he was yesterday, I could see Paint playing Jenkins and Newman more.

Reactions: Schnelk

Look, I love Gillis. But there is absolutely no way he has the wheels to stay in front of these guards.

Good rebounder. Good 3 point shooter. Good hustler. All of those. But he's just not that great of a defender, even against athletic wings. He has a hard enough time recovering on 3 point shooters on the weak side, much less staying in front of a guard...

I didn’t figure out anything, Morton was a -14 yesterday, what’s wrong with having a thought? I’ve been on this board for probably 20 years, am I allowed to not think what many are thinking? It’s just a question, feel free to disagree, not sure why the bitter response? Also, I was told the same thing by some when I asked about playing Furst at the 4, some said no way, that’s where he’s playing, he looks fine at that spot.

When an opposing team goes with three guards, CMP can't play Gillis at the 3.

Gillis doesn't have the quickness to stay in front of a guard.
That’s a good response, one that I have no problem with, thanks for the answer. I love when people get on and want to trash a fan like myself who’s been a 50 year Purdue fan. Also, many told me Furst and Edey couldn’t play alongside each other, I disagreed and right now it looks like I was correct. Maybe Gillis is to slow, it’s still something that I hope Matt considers, we’ll see what happens going forward.

Look, I love Gillis. But there is absolutely no way he has the wheels to stay in front of these guards.

Good rebounder. Good 3 point shooter. Good hustler. All of those. But he's just not that great of a defender, even against athletic wings. He has a hard enough time recovering on 3 point shooters on the weak side, much less staying in front of a guard...
Thanks for the well thought of response without being a jerk, much appreciated! I still think maybe for 5 or so minutes a night this might end up happening.

Of course, however, what’s wrong with posting a thought? I’m sorry, Gillis at 12 minutes and Morton at 28 minutes seemed odd. Right now Morton is struggling, would you not agree?
I think a lot of people are just spitting into the wind!

Having a bad day? Did you mistake the OP for a different poster? He is one of the civilized posters here. He was very careful not to pile on anyone. He was just wondering why Gillis had so few minutes. Others were wondering the same. Some very good answers to his question were given.

Our 4’s each have their own +’s and -‘s. None really have the mobility to consistently guard a 3. I would guess that Gillis could defend a 3 best, on a very limited basis or couple minute stretch. Conversely, all 3 are not the best rebounders or 3 point shooters either. Frankly, my preference would be that they all 3 work on being tougher and stronger in the paint. But, that might not be who they are now, or more importantly, what they or CMP wants from them.

Last edited:
Having a bad day? Did you mistake the OP for a different poster? He is one of the civilized posters here. He was very careful not to pile on anyone. He was just wondering why Gillis had so few minutes. Others were wondering the same. Some very good answers to his question were given.
Thanks Wally, I appreciate some of Ethan’s game, however lately he’s struggled badly, I’m hoping it’s just a slump and he comes out of it. Yesterday he was a -14 on the floor, he wasn’t really good defensively. Apparently wondering or just asking if Gillis can play 5 or 10 minutes a game at the 3 spot is a ridiculous question. I also was told earlier in the year that there was no way Furst can play the 4, like Gillis much to slow. Maybe Gillis is to slow, I’m not sure he is, Gillis is a good athlete, I think some underestimate this. I go to many games a year, I’m sorry I think Gillis could do it in short spurts, apparently at 6 foot 5 he’s nothing but a 4. Look, I got no problem if someone disagrees, however, I do have a problem when someone gets swarmy over in my opinion a question that needs asked.

That’s a good response, one that I have no problem with, thanks for the answer. I love when people get on and want to trash a fan like myself who’s been a 50 year Purdue fan. Also, many told me Furst and Edey couldn’t play alongside each other, I disagreed and right now it looks like I was correct. Maybe Gillis is to slow, it’s still something that I hope Matt considers, we’ll see what happens going forward.
Concerning the MSU game...I think the responses concerning 1, 2 &3 players for MSU due to quickness is legit. It is true that Mason would be a bigger threat behind the arc and "might" gather more boards from that spot, but he is not going to have the potential playmaking ability Ethan brings...even though he puts the ball down now a lot better than last year. I'm more prone to seeing Brandon at the 3 than another for Ethan. Brandon can be the on ball defender with decent quickness and good length as well...and capable of shooting the ball.

Whether the player minutes were a concern of Matt's after the game or not...I'll tell you he has a thousand thoughts going on and the game flies by...because there are reasons for some players and reasons against depending upon the team being played, the time of the game, the current situation at a time in a game, who may be in foul trouble, who needs to handle the ball, who mixes well with the others, who has the hot hand, who is not mentally sharp, who can hit a FT if fouled...so many moving pieces for him that "minutes" are not his primary concern. Certainly it is a pregame concern in how he would like to rest and substitute, but when that ball is poorly thrown to start the game, it has a life of its' own many times.

Concerning the MSU game...I think the responses concerning 1, 2 &3 players for MSU due to quickness is legit. It is true that Mason would be a bigger threat behind the arc and "might" gather more boards from that spot, but he is not going to have the potential playmaking ability Ethan brings...even though he puts the ball down now a lot better than last year. I'm more prone to seeing Brandon at the 3 than another for Ethan. Brandon can be the on ball defender with decent quickness and good length as well...and capable of shooting the ball.

Whether the player minutes were a concern of Matt's after the game or not...I'll tell you he has a thousand thoughts going on and the game flies by...because there are reasons for some players and reasons against depending upon the team being played, the time of the game, the current situation at a time in a game, who may be in foul trouble, who needs to handle the ball, who mixes well with the others, who has the hot hand, who is not mentally sharp, who can hit a FT if fouled...so many moving pieces for him that "minutes" are not his primary concern. Certainly it is a pregame concern in how he would like to rest and substitute, but when that ball is poorly thrown to start the game, it has a life of its' own many times.
That’s a good answer, I’m not talking a ton of minutes, just make 5 or so a game, 12 minutes in my opinion is to low for Gillis, he does a lot of good things on the court. Let’s be honest, Morton didn’t have it yesterday, it happens, however, going forward Purdue might not be able to afford Ethan having a game like this. He had 2 easy layups he missed, got beat on D numerous times. I truly hope it’s just a slump and he gets his game back, however, I don’t think he should be playing close to 30
Minutes a game right now, that’s all I’m saying.

Definitely would rather have Gillis offense on the court in a tight game...plus prob our 2nd best defensive player!

Definitely would rather have Gillis offense on the court in a tight game...plus prob our 2nd best defensive player!
Me too, I also think Matt at this point is the College Coach of the year, just was wondering why Gillis’s minutes were so low yesterday, that’s all. Most on here are good posters, if someone wants to disagree with me that’s fine, I don’t understand why a few want to try to make it look like I have no clue what I’m talking about by just asking a question? The goal is a deep March run, I think Gillis has to play more minutes for this to happen.

Morton went out because Izzo made him the open man till he hit one ( never did). So Matt got him out and put in players Newman and Jenkins who he thought could stay in front of the guards and maybe hit a shot. They did not hit a shot, and Walker went off. Gillis not an option guarding quick guards. But he could have guarded Morton!!

That’s a good answer, I’m not talking a ton of minutes, just make 5 or so a game, 12 minutes in my opinion is to low for Gillis, he does a lot of good things on the court. Let’s be honest, Morton didn’t have it yesterday, it happens, however, going forward Purdue might not be able to afford Ethan having a game like this. He had 2 easy layups he missed, got beat on D numerous times. I truly hope it’s just a slump and he gets his game back, however, I don’t think he should be playing close to 30
Minutes a game right now, that’s all I’m saying.
I get all that...all hindsight. 1) I don't think a lot of people have an idea how fast the game goes and how often it is decided in a couple of minute stretch many times. 2) When games are close and possessions are critical and you believe you are right there, I believe many coaches don't really want to change anything if the overall seems effective...UNLESS it is totally obvious and so there is a factor of not taking chances. 3) I'm sure during the game the other coaches are letting him know the minutes. 4) I also imagine Matt like many would look at the minutes after the game and think he could have and perhaps should have exchanged a few minutes betyween such and such. 5) I'm sure Matt went to bed still questioning himself on a couple of possessions and such...wins or losses.

lastly, I'm fully aware of Ethan's shooting as are other coaches looking for an Achilles Heel of the Boilers and giving Ethan an open look is one of the things they will live with until he hits one or two. I personally tighten up when I see him shoot an open shot behind that arc like I do with Trey and even Caleb to some degree. Not as much concern with Mason stroking it and have a lot of confidence in another New Castle FT shooting ability. Matt didn't want to play Braden with the fouls when he did but made a judgement on potentially losing him at closing time or not playing him and finishing the game with no more fouls. Matt said something on the game before MSU where he said he is process focused and later gave what would appear as contradictory in that he said you go with your instincts... Purdue won and Brian Waddell has now went two games in a row where I think he never hit the court and I'm sure that Matt wished he could fit him in some minutes...

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I didn’t figure out anything, Morton was a -14 yesterday, what’s wrong with having a thought? I’ve been on this board for probably 20 years, am I allowed to not think what many are thinking? It’s just a question, feel free to disagree, not sure why the bitter response? Also, I was told the same thing by some when I asked about playing Furst at the 4, some said no way, that’s where he’s playing, he looks fine at that spot.
if you disagree with certain people they will place you on ignore, and then they will argue with your posts.

Painter has always given minutes to the players that have earned it, and also depending on the match-ups. it appears Furst is earning more minutes, so he is receiving more. and it appears Painter would rather have a guard play the 3 than a forward. as for Gillis' outside shooting, without him, that means loyer takes more 3 point shots. I'm ok with that.

I get all that...all hindsight. 1) I don't think a lot of people have an idea how fast the game goes and how often it is decided in a couple of minute stretch many times. 2) When games are close and possessions are critical and you believe you are right there, I believe many coaches don't really want to change anything if the overall seems effective...UNLESS it is totally obvious and so there is a factor of not taking chances. 3) I'm sure during the game the other coaches are letting him know the minutes. 4) I also imagine Matt like many would look at the minutes after the game and think he could have and perhaps should have exchanged a few minutes betyween such and such. 5) I'm sure Matt went to bed still questioning himself on a couple of possessions and such...wins or losses.

lastly, I'm fully aware of Ethan's shooting as are other coaches looking for an Achilles Heel of the Boilers and giving Ethan an open look is one of the things they will live with until he hits one or two. I personally tighten up when I see him shoot an open shot behind that arc like I do with Trey and even Caleb to some degree. Not as much concern with Mason stroking it and have a lot of confidence in another New Castle FT shooting ability. Matt didn't want to play Braden with the fouls when he did but made a judgement on potentially losing him at closing time or not playing him and finishing the game with no more fouls. Matt said something on the game before MSU where he said he is process focused and later gave what would appear as contradictory in that he said you go with your instincts... Purdue won and Brian Waddell has now went two games in a row where I think he never hit the court and I'm sure that Matt wished he could fit him in some minutes...
Exactly ... Been there, thought that ...

• Love
Reactions: tjreese
Me too, I also think Matt at this point is the College Coach of the year, just was wondering why Gillis’s minutes were so low yesterday, that’s all. Most on here are good posters, if someone wants to disagree with me that’s fine, I don’t understand why a few want to try to make it look like I have no clue what I’m talking about by just asking a question? The goal is a deep March run, I think Gillis has to play more minutes for this to happen.
I think the reason Mason's numbers were low yesterday was Caleb got on a good run in 2nd half and Matt decided to go with hot hand at the 4. The other reason, Matt did not think Mason could guard any of MSU's players at the 1, 2 or 3.

For the most part, I think CMP likes Edey with Furst and Gillis with TKR. As we saw last year, Gillis was playing more with Trevion than Edey and therefore was starting more. That just seems like a rotation that Painter likes. So the minutes of all 4 are tied in IMO.

Morton really shut Walker down.

True that. The OP is okay with me. Please note that I didn't respond to anyone's post directly. I am just tied of the annual search for the "weak link" that some posters continually bitch about, every flipping year.

Yes, I was having a tough day, so I apologize to anyone who might have been offended in any way. I will now strive to treat every poster just the same, and work very hard for equal outcomes in every thread. :cool:

True that. The OP is okay with me. Please note that I didn't respond to anyone's post directly. I am just tied of the annual search for the "weak link" that some posters continually bitch about, every flipping year.

Yes, I was having a tough day, so I apologize to anyone who might have been offended in any way. I will now strive to treat every poster just the same, and work very hard for equal outcomes in every thread. :cool:
There is nothing in life "that should have" equal outcomes except maybe death and that is not equal to the exact way, the exact timing, the exact environment...the... It's all good, we don't even have a right to not be offended at some time...part of life...part of different understandings.

ll of us give an opinion that provides an understanding of equal opportunity to that opinion and the fact that many people can read the same text and have slightly to greater agreement or disagreement is indicative that equal outcomes doesn't happen even with the same input. Ever read a post and you agree with most, but unsure of what the meaning was in another sentence in the same post, but overall liked it?

We can't look to a forum to define us, because if you are always chasing others approval you will never be happy. I know you know all this, but wanted you to understand it is okay to express frustration and then apologize for it. I'm sure all of us have frustrated someone at sometime. I think we just need to treat others as we would like to be treated is a good starting point while understanding different perspectives are always going to happen...even without trolls from other boards.

Reactions: mathboy
For the most part, I think CMP likes Edey with Furst and Gillis with TKR. As we saw last year, Gillis was playing more with Trevion than Edey and therefore was starting more. That just seems like a rotation that Painter likes. So the minutes of all 4 are tied in IMO.
But the 2nd squad has fallen hard and TKR and Gillis aren't scaring anyone. Or doing much. We've gone from a 2nd squad that some thought could compete in the Big 10 to one that struggles to score.
TKR looks lost out there without Caleb and I loved that "2 young hoss's" feel.
Zack and Caleb might be our best 2, but "I" think Zack/Mason and Caleb/TKR was a much more dangerous FULL GAME linup and gets another shooter in Mason involved with open looks.
Not that I would ever suggest that to coach ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerDaddy

It's rough when one's having a tough day and one's true joy is stored inside a garage for the winter. How else can one release one's stress?

It's rough when one's having a tough day and one's true joy is stored inside a garage for the winter. How else can one release one's stress?

Are you referring to your wife, mistress or Top Secret Documents being garaged?

Edey playing all these minutes is amazing, can’t believe how good that kid has been. I like Furst at the 4, would love to see him shoot a few more 3’s a night, he’s got a nice shot. Really fun team to watch, stressful though, these games got me pacing around the house like a madman, my wife sneakily video tapes me, she’s captured some great moments lol

Edey playing all these minutes is amazing, can’t believe how good that kid has been. I like Furst at the 4, would love to see him shoot a few more 3’s a night, he’s got a nice shot. Really fun team to watch, stressful though, these games got me pacing around the house like a madman, my wife sneakily video tapes me, she’s captured some great moments lol
I totally agree with you ... until I consider how I expected me to be during this season ... then I calm down, hug the dog, kiss the wife, take a long deep breath, and revel in the season that is.

Is that true? Understand that there's a correlation there between Caleb and Zach's minutes, but I'm not sure that it's causal, i.e. not sure Caleb is playing more minutes because MP prefers him with Zach.

It may be true, but if so that's a change from before Mason got hurt. My guess, and I could be completely wrong, is that Matt thinks that Caleb has a higher ceiling and needs more minutes and also likes his length on the defensive end and on the boards. I'm biased though because I think that offensively, Mason is a better fit with Zach. Given that we're #1 nationally in offensive efficiency, I could be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT