ADVERTISEMENT

Gillis Commits!

Please allow me to vent for a moment. My apologies in advance, to those I will offend here.
IMHO, and I speak for myself when I say:

I came to this thread, because I was excited to see Coach picked up another piece of the puzzle, that is to become our Boiler team in the coming year(s). I come here to read about said player, and about his strengths, abilities, and for insight on how fans think he'll fit in with the team.

I did not come to this thread to read almost two of the four pages being IU hyperbole, "Romeo is better..." and/or the "We could have had Gillis, but we only target top 20 kids..." B.S.
I didn't come here to read about IU fan being delusional enough to say he picked Purdue, only because IU didn't offer him last weekend.

I also don't care that Peegs doesn't have insightful, intelligent basketball talk, or meaningful discussions about recruiting, B1G teams, etc.
Not my problem.
The IU board is still the IU board, and if I want to read about that shit, I'll go there and read about it all there. That's why I've never been to Peggs, and instead, I come to the Purdue message board, to read about all things Purdue.

IU fans: I don't give a rat's ass about Romeo, and the hype surrounding him. You got a "highly rated" high school prospect; good for your team. With that being said, I don't want/need to see it here in the "Gillis commits" thread. There's a proper place for that, and this isn't it.
I've seen more IU posters, and more posts talking about IU recruits here, than about the OP Gillis (ok, not really, but it definitely was a solid "Hijacked thread" attempt).
Go back to your own board, if you want to keep up the discussion about Romeo, and how the rest of the NCAA should just bow down now, because he's the best thing since sliced bread. AGAIN: I don't care. In my mind, he sealed his fate, when he committed to IU.

Sorry to all if this seems brash, or unwarranted. I just get tired of ignorant, uninformed or misguided IU dolts injecting themselves into every meaningful, thoughtful or realistic conversation, and then trying to turn it into some sort of pissing match.
This is a Purdue forum, so either come correct, or go back to where that kind of crap is appreciated (and expected).
Such a fantastic post. It should be part of the TOS for this site.

I did not come to this thread to read almost two of the four pages being IU hyperbole, "Romeo is better..." and/or the "We could have had Gillis, but we only target top 20 kids..." B.S.
I didn't come here to read about IU fan being delusional enough to say he picked Purdue,
Amen to that!! I could care less about IU! Or their players.

Please allow me to vent for a moment. My apologies in advance, to those I will offend here.

I came to this thread, because I was excited to see Coach picked up another piece of the puzzle, that is to become our Boiler team in the coming year(s). I come here to read about said player, and about his strengths, abilities, and for insight on how fans think he'll fit in with the team.

I didn't come here to read about IU fan being delusional enough to say he picked Purdue, only because IU didn't offer him last weekend.

I also don't care that Peegs doesn't have insightful, intelligent basketball talk, or meaningful discussions about recruiting, B1G teams, etc.
Not my problem.
The IU board is still the IU board, and if I want to read about that shit, I'll go there and read about it all there. That's why I've never been to Peggs, and instead, I come to the Purdue message board, to read about all things Purdue.

IU fans: I don't give a rat's ass about Romeo, and the hype surrounding him. You got a "highly rated" high school prospect; good for your team. With that being said, I don't want/need to see it here in the "Gillis commits" thread. There's a proper place for that, and this isn't it.
I've seen more IU posters, and more posts talking about IU recruits here, than about the OP Gillis (ok, not really, but it definitely was a solid "Hijacked thread" attempt).
Go back to your own board, if you want to keep up the discussion about Romeo, and how the rest of the NCAA should just bow down now, because he's the best thing since sliced bread. AGAIN: I don't care. In my mind, he sealed his fate, when he committed to IU.

Sorry to all if this seems brash, or unwarranted. I just get tired of ignorant, uninformed or misguided IU dolts injecting themselves into every meaningful, thoughtful or realistic conversation, and then trying to turn it into some sort of pissing match.
This is a Purdue forum, so either come correct, or go back to where that kind of crap is appreciated (and expected).

There was no pissing match or anyone trolling until this comment back on page 2, which implied there was. If you don't want visiting IU fans to jump into conversation, then don't accuse them of things just because you're insecure about your own recruits and need to seek validation.

All the IU trolls downplaying his size LOL...………..not falling off my chair here.

247:
"Currently this pledge bumps Purdue up to No. 10 in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings, with the No. 2 class in the Big Ten. Look for the Boilermakers to continue to try and add shooting on the wing, and potentially even another big to round out what could be an impressive 2019 recruiting haul."

You do see the irony of your statement here on a Purdue forum right? Wait, you're an iu fan, so no it most assuredly went over your head.

What does that have to do with being insecure about anything. I like to read things about IU basketball and their rivals. Both are talked about here.

What was insecure is Purdue fans starting an argument because they think people are "shrinking" their recruits. Who cares...he's whatever height he is, and you're happy with him, that's all that matters.

Some thoughts on Gillis:

- Heard from some scout-types that "if he grew 2 inches, he'd be a top-75 player. If he doesn't, then he needs to really become a bigger 3-PT threat".
- He has expanded his game of late and has a really good 3-point touch.
- Much of the concern related to him is size and role definition....what position does he play, but more importantly, what position does he guard?
- Playing in a motion system would be great for him as he's got a great physique for setting off-ball screens and he can flare and hit jumpers with consistency.
- He struggles some with upper level 3s who are usually faster and he struggles with upper-level 4s who are taller/longer.
- Being matched up with centers like Dowuona may be ideal if he's playing the 4 so there is some backside protection when he's matched against taller/longer 4s.
- He will likely play a stretch 4 as he has a thick frame and is probably never going to be quick enough to be a legit 3. Can pull 4s away from the lane with his outside shooting skill.
- His b-ball IQ and instincts are first-rate. Great feel for the game and sees things unfold before they happen.
- Rebounds well for his size, but usually on boards that bounce out of the zone for centers-PFs.

Not my problem.

You have to give the IU fans a break. The only time they get to talk crap anymore is before the games actually start. We should probably just ignore them until they go away. If you respond, then you are only giving them the attention they seek.
Come back in January and there won’t be any IU fans here.

There was no pissing match or anyone trolling until this comment back on page 2, which implied there was. If you don't want visiting IU fans to jump into conversation, then don't accuse them of things just because you're insecure about your own recruits and need to seek validation.

Listen: Our house, our rules. Know your place.

You sound like my ex-wife, so (In my best Dr. Phil voice): It isn't all about you Shelly!

Let me summarize it for you: There are anywhere from 2-4 summertime "members" here, who have been at one point or another, highly suspected to be IU trolls, (looking to upset the applecart at any chance given). Who the hell says they were even talking about you, big man? You wanna talk about insecurity, try looking in the mirror.
Maybe, (and this might be giving you too much credit), but just maybe you would know the situation, and the posters who were being referenced, if it was your own damn board in the first place...but it's not, so you go around defending yourself, when nobody cares about your shit in the first place.

Another thing: jumping into the conversation is one thing, but trying to hijack the thread, and trying to dominate the conversation by flooding us with IU related post after post after post, is something quite different altogether.

Let me give you an example to maybe help you understand better:
It would be like Cowboy fan rolling into Veterans Stadium (Now Lincoln Field), and telling a group Eagles fans that their team was substandard, and second rate compared to "America's team". That dude wouldn't walk back out of there; the battery chuckers would grill him up and serve his know-it-all ass sauteed on a cheesesteak sammich.

Again: I don't mind a little banter to keep things interesting during the slow months here. It's the constant trips over here seeking someone to actually listen to your dreams and fantasies about a team that hasn't mattered in the last 20 years that irritate me. We (most here anyway) don't even consider IU a true rival anymore; we look to upper tier teams like Michigan and Michigan State as our rival, because they are the teams we regularly compete with: for a majority of our recruits, on the court, and in the B1G standings.
IU and iowa (our prescribed "OMHR" by the B1G) haven't been as much of a challenge lately(see also: relevant), when compared to the battles with Mich & MSU. Sorry to spoil your dinner, but that's what I meant when I said: "I DON'T CARE".

What does that have to do with being insecure about anything. I like to read things about IU basketball and their rivals. Both are talked about here.

What was insecure is Purdue fans starting an argument because they think people are "shrinking" their recruits. Who cares...he's whatever height he is, and you're happy with him, that's all that matters.
Anyone who is insecure, or secure, because of a bunch of teenagers they don’t even know, is leading a sad little life. And is more likely an IU fan than a Purdue fan.

You sound like my ex-wife, so (In my best Dr. Phil voice): It isn't all about you Shelly!

Let me summarize it for you: There are anywhere from 2-4 summertime "members" here, who have been at one point or another, highly suspected to be IU trolls, (looking to upset the applecart at any chance given). Who the hell says they were even talking about you, big man? You wanna talk about insecurity, try looking in the mirror.
Maybe, (and this might be giving you too much credit), but just maybe you would know the situation, and the posters who were being referenced, if it was your own damn board in the first place...but it's not, so you go around defending yourself, when nobody cares about your shit in the first place.

Another thing: jumping into the conversation is one thing, but trying to hijack the thread, and trying to dominate the conversation by flooding us with IU related post after post after post, is something quite different altogether.

It would be like Cowboy fan rolling into Veterans Stadium (Now Lincoln Field), and telling a group Eagles fans that their team was substandard, and second rate compared to "America's team". That dude wouldn't walk back out of there; the battery chuckers would grill him up and serve his know-it-all ass sauteed on a cheesesteak sammich.

Again: I don't mind a little banter to keep things interesting during the slow months here. It's the constant trips over here seeking someone to actually listen to your dreams and fantasies about a team that hasn't mattered in the last 20 years that irritate me. We (most here anyway) don't even consider IU a true rival anymore; we look to upper tier teams like Michigan and Michigan State as our rival, because they are the teams we regularly compete with: for a majority of our recruits, on the court, and in the B1G standings.
IU and iowa (our prescribed "OMHR" by the B1G) haven't been as much of a challenge lately(see also: relevant), when compared to the battles with Mich & MSU. Sorry to spoil your dinner, but that's what I meant when I said: "I DON'T CARE".
You sir are hands down my favorite poster on here right now.

Point taken, this is a Purdue forum, and you can talk about what you want to here. I understand not wanting to see IU chatter. I don't see Purdue chatter on our IU board because it's a premium board and no one pays to troll. I like it that way too. I will say this though, if you don't like threads being derailed and completely turning into arguments, your own Purdue posters do that very well without the help of IU fans. I got carried away arguing against a stupid comment that I honestly should have just let go, because it doesn't matter. My apologies.

I do hope and believe that in the next few years the IU v Purdue rivalry will rekindle and games will be tight every time. Admittedly, the last 5 years especially haven't been good for IU in the rivalry. We had a couple good years in the Crean era, but not many. I'm glad to have moved on from him.

Cheese, you have to admit that all of the comments that we hear today were previously heard in the early parts of the Crean era and we know how that turned out.

You should also realize that most IU fans are obnoxious and arrogant for no reason. Most have never attended a class at IU. You are a self-described Purdue alum and IU fan which you have to admit makes you a bit of an odd duck. All one has to do is view the other site on rivals and the general view there is "we'll get to pick who we want and Purdue will get the leftovers." There is a refusal to recognize that Purdue has had greater success (ex the Tournament) than IU has over both the short and long-term.

You have posted reasonably here. But also understand that you carry baggage because of the group of which you are a part.

Some thoughts on Gillis:

- Heard from some scout-types that "if he grew 2 inches, he'd be a top-75 player. If he doesn't, then he needs to really become a bigger 3-PT threat".
- Much of the concern related to him is size and role definition....what position does he play, but more importantly, what position does he guard?
- Playing in a motion system would be great for him as he's got a great physique for setting off-ball screens and he can flare and hit jumpers with consistency.
- He struggles some with upper level 3s who are usually faster and he struggles with upper-level 4s who are taller/longer.
- Being matched up with centers like Dowuona may be ideal if he's playing the 4 so there is some backside protection when he's matched against taller/longer 4s.
- He will likely play a stretch 4 as he has a thick frame and is probably never going to be quick enough to be a legit 3. Can pull 4s away from the lane with his outside shooting skill.
- His b-ball IQ and instincts are first-rate. Great feel for the game and sees things unfold before they happen.
- Rebounds well for his size, but usually on boards that bounce out of the zone for centers-PFs.

As an IU fan lurking, I really enjoyed this post. Having seen him a few times, I agree with most of this. I think he may not be a real superstar from day 1 but as he figures out his body with a college nutrition plan and figures out where he fits on the court (positionally), I think he has a lot of upside here.

Cheese, you have to admit that all of the comments that we hear today were previously heard in the early parts of the Crean era and we know how that turned out.

You should also realize that most IU fans are obnoxious and arrogant for no reason. Most have never attended a class at IU. You are a self-described Purdue alum and IU fan which you have to admit makes you a bit of an odd duck. All one has to do is view the other site on rivals and the general view there is "we'll get to pick who we want and Purdue will get the leftovers." There is a refusal to recognize that Purdue has had greater success (ex the Tournament) than IU has over both the short and long-term.

You have posted reasonably here. But also understand that you carry baggage because of the group of which you are a part.

Absolutely, every fan base has it's undesirable fans, I'm sure there are many of them on the IU rivals site. I can only speak for the Inside The Hall premium forum. Of course we don't like Purdue there either, but we don't go around acting as if they are nobody. It's a much more respectable discussion than you find in many other places, in my opinion.

In terms of what people thought of Crean, as opposed to Archie, I don't think there's a comparison. Of course there were many who loved him no matter what, but there were also a lot of skeptics. As far as I've seen the opinion of Archie is overwhelmingly positive and accepted, not many skeptics exist within the IU fanbase on this hire. I think, his previous Dayton results aside, he caries himself in a completely different manner than Crean, you can tell he means business and has the intelligence to back it up. The only doubt I had about him was if he could recruit at a high level. So far he's answering that question well, time will tell if it continues.

But anyway, this isn't an IU board, back to talking about Gillis. I think he will be a solid player for Purdue and was a good pickup. However, some fans will still say that Painter hasn't proven he can get top 50 guys on a regular basis, which history has shown an important quality for high-level success. If he can land guys like Timme and Hall, that perception will begin changing.

Some thoughts on Gillis:

Based on the video that I’ve seen, I see Gillis as more of a 3 defensively than Wheeler, who I see having relatively more success guarding the 4.

My favorite part of this post is how it sums up the dumpster fire nature of this board.

@BoilerIron who originated the post getting dragged and called a troll. Not sure I saw any of you rocket surgeons see Mason’s post before he did then again you probably still struggle with your dial up connection.

Reactions: BoilerIron
My favorite part of this post is how it sums up the dumpster fire nature of this board.

@BoilerIron who originated the post getting dragged and called a troll. Not sure I saw any of you rocket surgeons see Mason’s post before he did then again you probably still struggle with your dial up connection.
It helps that I was in the room when he hit send on the tweet/instagram post :).

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I made this account as a member of the family to say, no you weren't. Please don't start his time at Purdue off with lies.

He is very excited to be a Boiler and is looking forward to his future at Purdue.

Boiler up.
Perhaps I have been too loose with the info I gave on here. You are correct that i was not in the room (my bad). I did know to be looking for the tweet/Instagram post prior to his commitment. I will not give any other tidbits into his recruitment from here on out. Apologies.

Based on the video that I’ve seen, I see Gillis as more of a 3 defensively than Wheeler, who I see having relatively more success guarding the 4.
That's possible. Like I said, I think in the right situation, he can and should be an effective weapon on offense. As for guarding 3s, I'm more skeptical of that just given the type of 3s you see in conference. Like I'm not sure how he'd match up well with a Brandon Johns or Jerome Hunter....guys that are both taller, longer and quicker. I think he has a great frame to bang down low some, but again the height issue will hurt him some there.

Wheeler has better athleticism, so he should have no problems marking those type of 3s. It will be interesting to see, but Painter wouldn't recruit him unless he had a specific plan.

As an IU fan lurking, I really enjoyed this post. Having seen him a few times, I agree with most of this. I think he may not be a real superstar from day 1 but as he figures out his body with a college nutrition plan and figures out where he fits on the court (positionally), I think he has a lot of upside here.
Ive been open about some of my skepticism about some of MG's shortcomings. That said, I think he can be a real solid player "in the right situation". I have confidence Painter has thought this through. I sense that he's placed a slightly greater emphasis on raw athleticism in recent recruits, but at the same time doesn't want to do so at the expense of shooting/bball IQ. Signing Gillis proves he still is willing to take kids that have the skills, though may not really be an answer to neutralizing the kind of problems athletic bigs like Texas Tech gave us. It's a hard Balance and ideally you'd want to get those kids that have both skill and athleticism, but it's been a hard haul getting those kinds of top-75 types lately. But Painter has done a great job finding a solid balance. The hope is we start hitting on those full toolbox guys with greater regularity...hopefully in the coming weeks.

That's possible. Like I said, I think in the right situation, he can and should be an effective weapon on offense. As for guarding 3s, I'm more skeptical of that just given the type of 3s you see in conference. Like I'm not sure how he'd match up well with a Brandon Johns or Jerome Hunter....guys that are both taller, longer and quicker. I think he has a great frame to bang down low some, but again the height issue will hurt him some there.

Wheeler has better athleticism, so he should have no problems marking those type of 3s. It will be interesting to see, but Painter wouldn't recruit him unless he had a specific plan.
Wheeler is a great athlete, but I’m not convinced that he has better lateral quickness than Gillis. Rafael Davis and Dakota were effective in guarding some athletic threes and I think that they were more limited athletically than Gillis. We’ll have to see how he does, but if he is as intelligent and as hard working as advertised, I think that he can become a really good defender at the three.

Reactions: jimsil13
Ive been open about some of my skepticism about some of MG's shortcomings. That said, I think he can be a real solid player "in the right situation". I have confidence Painter has thought this through. I sense that he's placed a slightly greater emphasis on raw athleticism in recent recruits, but at the same time doesn't want to do so at the expense of shooting/bball IQ. Signing Gillis proves he still is willing to take kids that have the skills, though may not really be an answer to neutralizing the kind of problems athletic bigs like Texas Tech gave us. It's a hard Balance and ideally you'd want to get those kids that have both skill and athleticism, but it's been a hard haul getting those kinds of top-75 types lately. But Painter has done a great job finding a solid balance. The hope is we start hitting on those full toolbox guys with greater regularity...hopefully in the coming weeks.
Texas Tech's bigs would have had major problems stopping Haas, and might have been in foul trouble by the second half. We can never know this, but game after game, Haas changed the equation in our favor. He should have had the chance in the TT game, except for the flagrant foul by the Florida State guy.

Perhaps I have been too loose with the info I gave on here. You are correct that i was not in the room (my bad). I did know to be looking for the tweet/Instagram post prior to his commitment. I will not give any other tidbits into his recruitment from here on out. Apologies.
Bump. Hi @BoilerIron !!

ADVERTISEMENT