ADVERTISEMENT

Gillis Commits!

Right, he came to an IU camp, hoping he might get an IU offer at the camp, he didn't, so he chose Purdue because they prioritized him and Indiana didn't. If he becomes a great player, that may have been a mistake on IU's part.
Wrong. He was at the IU camp along with 20 other high school teams from the state. Teams play in camps like this in order to compete in the summer. Gillis knew he was committing to Purdue well before Sunday.

Lol as I said, there's not much to talk about on the IU board right now, I was bored, and IU is talked about just as much here....so here I am.
Yeah. As you say, you keep telling us that. Let us know when you have convinced yourself, after spending the entire day here. lol

Reactions: Fansince72
Right, he came to an IU camp, hoping he might get an IU offer at the camp, he didn't, so he chose Purdue because they prioritized him and Indiana didn't. If he becomes a great player, that may have been a mistake on IU's part.

Very similar to the whole PU/Langford situation. Nike school unfortunately.

Wrong. He was at the IU camp along with 20 other high school teams from the state. Teams play in camps like this in order to compete in the summer. Gillis knew he was committing to Purdue well before Sunday.

I'm not saying they come to these camps for the sole purpose of an offer, of course they come to play, learn and have competition. However, if a guy impresses the staff, he may get an offer. A couple guys did last year, like Jerome Hunter. In this case, the info comes from someone on another board who is a friend of Mason's family. Mason had hopes of collecting an offer over the weekend.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I'm not saying they come to these camps for the sole purpose of an offer, of course they come to play, learn and have competition. However, if a guy impresses the staff, he may get an offer. A couple guys did last year, like Jerome Hunter. In this case, the info comes from someone on another board who is a friend of Mason's family. Mason had hopes of collecting an offer over the weekend.
And as a friend of Mason's family, I'm telling you that he knew he was committing to Purdue yesterday on Friday (at least that's when we found out).

Maybe you didn't see it, but the 3 junior all stars that play for NC committed at the same time yesterday. You think that wasn't planned?

And as a friend of Mason's family, I'm telling you that he knew he was committing to Purdue yesterday on Friday (at least that's when we found out).

Maybe you didn't see it, but the 3 junior all stars that play for NC committed at the same time yesterday. You think that wasn't planned?

You may be right, I was just saying what I heard.

I have no idea whether you’re right in this case, but the scenario you’re describing is not infrequent. Recruits in the state of Indiana rarely choose Purdue over IU unless they have a Purdue connection.

Having said that, if passing on Gillis becomes an IU mistake it will be the most recent example in a long line of IU signing higher rated recruits than Purdue that go on to become lesser players than their lower rated counterparts who choose Purdue. At some point recruits in the state of Indiana will figure it out, maybe this is the year :)

Is Cheeseman correct and IU only has 1 scholarship left and they are saving it for Trace?

Is Cheeseman correct and IU only has 1 scholarship left and they are saving it for Trace?

IU didn't offer MG,because they are top heavy with offers for players that play the same position. Every school prioritizes certain players based on their needs,and IU has already prioritized other players which made Gillis redundant. Not a value judgement, just a reflection of recruiting reality...

IU offered Franklin when he visited last week and Newman when he visited on Mon.They will probably end up prioritizing one of them,and it may have a great deal to do with what happens when DJ Carton visits both UM and IU this week. If IU were to get Carton they could still use Newman, but Franklin would probably not be an option. Franklin wants to play some point, and IU with Carton and Phinisee would not be a realistic option for point guard minutes.

Juwan Morgan and Evan Fitzner will be the only 2 guys that are assuredly gone, Romeo is most likely gone, so there will likely be at least 3 schollies for next year. Someone else may transfer, but who knows. I think Archie would like to get 1, maybe 2 from the group of TJD, Brooks and Trendon Watford, then add a guard as well. Being that Gillis plays the same or similar position to those first 3 guys, the staff decided not to offer him. If they fail to get any of those 3 guys, they may wish they had offered Gillis, but that's how it works when you recruit top 20 guys. You have to wait longer and hope that you're not left in a bad spot if you strike out.

I think IU is also prioritizing DJ Carton and Jahmius Ramsey at the guard spot, with Newman and Franklin as backups in case they miss. If one of the latter commits first.....then maybe you take 2 guards and only one forward. I would hate to have the job of a college coach, trying to juggle offers and scholarships to prioritize and figure out who will jump first.

I'm just curious, What poster gets ripped, harassed and dissed the most at KHC ? and what poster constantly is bullying, baiting and harassing others?

I'm just curious, What poster gets ripped, harassed and dissed the most at KHC ? and what poster constantly is bullying, baiting and harassing others?
You certainly cry the most about it when its pretty tame generally speaking.

I know that this is going to be written down and that this prediction will be thrown in my face if it turns out to be incorrect: I believe that the B1G is very different from HS and that Romeo will experience adjustment issues that will cause him not to be a OAD. I suspect strongly that he will not achieve the first year expectations being placed upon him. That does not mean that he will not be a good player. What it does mean is that the expectations being placed upon him are so high that it is unlikely that he can achieve them. You can be good and not meet expectations. I predict two years in Bloomington for him.

Reactions: mathboy and Schnelk
I know that this is going to be written down and that this prediction will be thrown in my face if it turns out to be incorrect: I believe that the B1G is very different from HS and that Romeo will experience adjustment issues that will cause him not to be a OAD. I suspect strongly that he will not achieve the first year expectations being placed upon him. That does not mean that he will not be a good player. What it does mean is that the expectations being placed upon him are so high that it is unlikely that he can achieve them. You can be good and not meet expectations. I predict two years in Bloomington for him

I like the combined rotation from 2018, including 2017 redshirts) and 2019 as it currently stands:

1- I Thompson
1,2 - Hunter
2,3 - Sasha S
3,4 - Gillis
3,4 - Wheeler
4,5 - Williams
5 - Dowouna

Add Newman and Hall and it looks even better.
Boudreaux will still be here, right?

And I'll bet a lot that we land a really, really good player before that season starts. A really good one.

Is this based off inside info or just a hunch?

Realize you have some connections
no, this is a hunch ... I had decided I was willing to up my normal bet to a foot long dog n suds chili dog. But honestly, that's a long time .. I think the odds of winning that bet are not too bad.

BTW, I would wait until the end of the season to assess how good really good was. I'd say third best player on a sweet16+ team ... for an addition we don't know about today.

Boudreaux will still be here, right?

And I'll bet a lot that we land a really, really good player before that season starts. A really good one.
I was just listing players who still have four years of eligibility left. Boudreaux has two years of eligibility left.

but he'll play in 19-20 ... which is what you list, isn't it? Maybe I'm not clear on what your list is
It’s this coming season’s freshmen and the following class. All will still have eligibility in 21-22.

In 19-20, Carsen Edwards, Boudreaux, Eastern, and Haarms all will also have eligibility if they are still with Purdue.

It’s this coming season’s freshmen and the following class. All will still have eligibility in 21-22.

In 19-20, Carsen Edwards, Boudreaux, Eastern, and Haarms all will also have eligibility if they are still with Purdue.
AHA

I know that this is going to be written down and that this prediction will be thrown in my face if it turns out to be incorrect: I believe that the B1G is very different from HS and that Romeo will experience adjustment issues that will cause him not to be a OAD. I suspect strongly that he will not achieve the first year expectations being placed upon him. That does not mean that he will not be a good player. What it does mean is that the expectations being placed upon him are so high that it is unlikely that he can achieve them. You can be good and not meet expectations. I predict two years in Bloomington for him.
IU fans want to brag about one-and-dones because they would give their firstborn child to be like Kentucky.

It wasn't that long ago when they were bragging that Hanner Perea was a one-and-done. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Fansince72

IU fans want to brag about one-and-dones because they would give their firstborn child to be like Kentucky.

It wasn't that long ago when they were bragging that Hanner Perea was a one-and-done. :rolleyes:

Please allow me to vent for a moment. My apologies in advance, to those I will offend here.
IMHO, and I speak for myself when I say:

I came to this thread, because I was excited to see Coach picked up another piece of the puzzle, that is to become our Boiler team in the coming year(s). I come here to read about said player, and about his strengths, abilities, and for insight on how fans think he'll fit in with the team.

I did not come to this thread to read almost two of the four pages being IU hyperbole, "Romeo is better..." and/or the "We could have had Gillis, but we only target top 20 kids..." B.S.
I didn't come here to read about IU fan being delusional enough to say he picked Purdue, only because IU didn't offer him last weekend.

I also don't care that Peegs doesn't have insightful, intelligent basketball talk, or meaningful discussions about recruiting, B1G teams, etc.
Not my problem.
The IU board is still the IU board, and if I want to read about that shit, I'll go there and read about it all there. That's why I've never been to Peggs, and instead, I come to the Purdue message board, to read about all things Purdue.

IU fans: I don't give a rat's ass about Romeo, and the hype surrounding him. You got a "highly rated" high school prospect; good for your team. With that being said, I don't want/need to see it here in the "Gillis commits" thread. There's a proper place for that, and this isn't it.
I've seen more IU posters, and more posts talking about IU recruits here, than about the OP Gillis (ok, not really, but it definitely was a solid "Hijacked thread" attempt).
Go back to your own board, if you want to keep up the discussion about Romeo, and how the rest of the NCAA should just bow down now, because he's the best thing since sliced bread. AGAIN: I don't care. In my mind, he sealed his fate, when he committed to IU.

Sorry to all if this seems brash, or unwarranted. I just get tired of ignorant, uninformed or misguided IU dolts injecting themselves into every meaningful, thoughtful or realistic conversation, and then trying to turn it into some sort of pissing match.
This is a Purdue forum, so either come correct, or go back to where that kind of crap is appreciated (and expected).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT