ADVERTISEMENT

Gillis Commits!

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've wanted Painter to go after and sign a wing / small forward for a long time!

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
I think you go all in on getting a commitment this summer from Newman.

Then spend the next 10-11 months trying to sign Hall, Timme, TJD, or KBJ as a finishing piece.
I agree with this completely. I would assume that is the plan of attack for Painter and Staff. By no means am I an expert, but this seems like a good idea and what they’ll likely try to accomplish.

Young Vince? I’ve only seen highlights but size, build and shooting form reminds me of a young Vince Edwards. Similar to Vince at that age as well in that he looks to be a below the rim type guy at this stage, not unathletic but not a high flyer. Hopefully like Vince his athletic ability increases are he develops physically at Purdue.

Is that a valid comparison for anyone who has seen him play or are there significant differences?

Young Vince? I’ve only seen highlights but size, build and shooting form reminds me of a young Vince Edwards. Similar to Vince at that age as well in that he looks to be a below the rim type guy at this stage, not unathletic but not a high flyer. Hopefully like Vince his athletic ability increases are he develops physically at Purdue.

Is that a valid comparison for anyone who has seen him play or are there significant differences?
Very similar game to Vince. He is slightly shorter, but still has potential to grow.

Vince played like someone ranked 50 instead of 124 however. That's a tall order to be done, but who knows.

Another recruit who appreciates CMP's recruiting style...………..

"I thought Purdue checked off all the boxes I wanted to check off between sports performance to Painter being the coach he is to academics," Gillis said. "His interest in me went a long way. I appreciated the way he recruited me and showed his belief in me.

"I thought if I waited until after July I didn't think I'd find another coach who believed in me the way he does."

Keep doing what you're doing CMP!

Another recruit who appreciates CMP's recruiting style...………..

"I thought Purdue checked off all the boxes I wanted to check off between sports performance to Painter being the coach he is to academics," Gillis said. "His interest in me went a long way. I appreciated the way he recruited me and showed his belief in me.

"I thought if I waited until after July I didn't think I'd find another coach who believed in me the way he does."

Keep doing what you're doing CMP!
I thought about posting that too. Hard to argue with that type of recruiting. Sometimes this approach yields a better quality recruit.

I think I see a bit more of a fluid athlete from Gillis where Vince always looked a bit robotic in his movements.

Agree. In the few highlights I've seen I'd say Gillis has a little more explosiveness on some of his dunks and blocks, especially when compared to Vince at the same stage as a Sr in HS.

Vince played like someone ranked 50 instead of 124 however. That's a tall order to be done, but who knows.
Vince was actually even better than a 50 ranking.

Of course Dakota, PJ, Carsen, Haarms were also a lot better than their Rivals ranking. Kind of a common theme lately for Purdue players. Even Haas was better than his ranking....although not of wide of disparity as the others listed.

Reactions: Mgkcbb and Zaphod_B
I think I see a bit more of a fluid athlete from Gillis where Vince always looked a bit robotic in his movements.
I agree...see a bit quicker person...shorter and quicker. Probably can drive the ball better...less rebounder and scorer in traffic I suspect all based on not much video... ;)

edited here...read he is 6'7"...thought he was closer to 6'5". If 6'7" I'm even more excited.

I agree...see a bit quicker person...shorter and quicker. Probably can drive the ball better...less rebounder and scorer in traffic I suspect all based on not much video... ;)

edited here...read he is 6'7"...thought he was closer to 6'5". If 6'7" I'm even more excited.
215 to 220lbs. too! I am thinking 6'8" 230lb. would be a nice load.

Rebounding might actually be his best skill. Averaged around 13/gm this season, and had multiple 20/20 games.

He is 6'6" (with shoes) as of yesterday... haha

Great pickup. Has Purdue ever signed anyone from New Castle? I know Butler had a pipeline from there recently and it was Alford country before that.

Great pickup. Has Purdue ever signed anyone from New Castle? I know Butler had a pipeline from there recently and it was Alford country before that.
Not that I can think of. As you said, it's been all Butler recently with Alford and Benson to IU prior to that.

Reactions: IUbaseball10
Rebounding might actually be his best skill. Averaged around 13/gm this season, and had multiple 20/20 games.

He is 6'6" (with shoes) as of yesterday... haha
Yeah, not sure how tall he is. In the video I did like him getting his head up quickly when boarding...which was a lot more of going to get it that playing above the rim which will need to happen more in college. High school stats always leave me a bit in doubt...nephew years ago averaged 13 boards and was 6'2' guard, but that wouldn't happen in college. I don't see enough players to get a feel for what is out there, but Hunter quickly got my attention as did Carsen in high school. He seems versatile and THAT is key in motion. Take Robbie a PG in high school, but his height was needed more inside on the Purdue team and so he slid into a 4 spot...bigs that are skilled are in demand. Purdue would allow Robinson, Hummel and Cardinal due to their offensive games versatility to take what was there and they had the size to go inside and still hit the jumper. Still, all those teams had starters that would more typical 5s and so they slid to a 4, but could have played 3 to 5 depending on other players around them. When you are versatile offensively, you have a lot of spots inside and out in motion to play.

Glad to have Gillis, hope for some others even more...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT