ADVERTISEMENT

GBI is saying Brohm is Purdue's first choice with annoucement MON

Mar 4, 2011
They must have wanted a good diver for a choice. No Splash!!! This is a very wait and see hire. Must not want to sell tickets or revive JPC members. We'll know something in 4 years I guess. It will be better than Not a coach Hazell.

Reactions: DG10
Whoever we hire, I sincerely appreciate the focus, effort and methodology that went into it this time compared to Morgan Burke's knee-jerk hire of Haze. And Burke was better than George King. I think ole George just sat at his desk and made phone calls until someone said "OK".

Brohm will give instant credibility as he was a damn good college QB. He will be able to sit in the living rooms of pretty much any high ranking QB prospect and be able to connect. Good players want to play with other good players and if Brohm can get a very good QB in his first year or two to commit to Purdue, don't be surprised to see better WR's and OL start lining up. If Brohm can find a Joey Harris type of back that is quick, can pass block, and catch out of the backfield, the offense has the chance to build in to something solid. Brohm, with his background, will be able to correct the issues Blough and Sindelar couldn't quite put to bed after being 'Shooped' for a year or two.

As some have said, it isn't a flashy hire, but I think most of the talking heads will say that it is a hire that fits Purdue's culture and history.

Jeff Brohm was in my Top 3. Perfect fit wit our traditions and culture.

They must have wanted a good diver for a choice. No Splash!!! This is a very wait and see hire. Must not want to sell tickets or revive JPC members. We'll know something in 4 years I guess. It will be better than Not a coach Hazell.
He was my choice back in September, and he's done nothing but solidify that this season. Love it.

Early in the process he was in my top 3 already for overall choices and #1 for realistic. I would be thrilled to get him. He certainly will be hungry to compete at the P5 level and already has a built in philosophy. Probably has lots of recruiting ties to mid-west already. This would be the best possible fit for us next to Fleck. The already established philosophy is huge for me. Miles philosophy was from the 1800's and could not be guaranteed to be perfect if indeed he wanted to change it.
Brohm or Fleck were my top two choices and I am extremely happy that we will get one of them. Maybe he can bring some recruits with him and flip some D and O line recruits from other schools.

I think many on this board would be happy with this.
I am not sold on Brohm. Everyone is focussing on the offenseive numbers and record. My concern is that most of his leading players were recruited by the previous coaching staffs or transferred in. He took over an already turned-around program (Taggert) and has kept it on the tracks. I'm not sure he has the recruiting chops to turn Purdue around.

If WKU's program is what is selling you, then go get Taggert. If you want the top recruiter available, then get Fleck. Too many on here are enamored with Purdue's passing attack. I'm more concerned with building a great program. Heck, Blough lead the B1G in passing this year and see where that got us!

I am not sold on Brohm. Everyone is focussing on the offenseive numbers and record. My concern is that most of his leading players were recruited by the previous coaching staffs or transferred in. He took over an already turned-around program (Taggert) and has kept it on the tracks. I'm not sure he has the recruiting chops to turn Purdue around.

If WKU's program is what is selling you, then go get Taggert. If you want the top recruiter available, then get Fleck. Too many on here are enamored with Purdue's passing attack. I'm more concerned with building a great program. Heck, Blough lead the B1G in passing this year and see where that got us!

It might not be all offensive fireworks. WKU led C-USA in scoring defense this year. Only four B1G teams (OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa) gave up fewer points. I realize that's comparing across conferences.

Isn't it amazing that like Hazell in his one good year , the players were brought in by another coach. If this is true, I pity the day.

I would be very happy with Brohm. I want a high powered throw it all over the field offense again. Brohm will give us that.
I would like to have defense too. Tired of seeing teams hang 50 on us with ease and regularity.

It might not be all offensive fireworks. WKU led C-USA in scoring defense this year. Only four B1G teams (OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa) gave up fewer points. I realize that's comparing across conferences.
rgarlitz, I'm not putting down their defense. I was commenting on other posts that are saying Brohm will bring offense back to Purdue and then quoting the WKU offense stats. My main concern is how much credit goes to Brohm for "building" WKU.

Reactions: rgarlitz
rgarlitz, I'm not putting down their defense. I was commenting on other posts that are saying Brohm will bring offense back to Purdue and then quoting the WKU offense stats. My main concern is how much credit goes to Brohm for "building" WKU.
The thing is he was part of the rebuild as he was the OC and now the HC. He has had a hand in the program for 4 years and little to no players in the program now weren't some how under his watch as either the assistant HC or now the HC. I have no issues as he was a part of the initial build as the AHC and now continuing to put his hands on the build as the HC.

Reactions: boiledmeconium
The thing is he was part of the rebuild as he was the OC and now the HC. He has had a hand in the program for 4 years and little to no players in the program now weren't some how under his watch as either the assistant HC or now the HC. I have no issues as he was a part of the initial build as the AHC and now continuing to put his hands on the build as the HC.

This seems right to me. Three years at head coach preceded by time as OC. All of the offensive players and most of the defensive players were under his watch and/or recruited by him.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Did Illinois look at Brohm in their last head coaching search before hiring Lovie Smith? He was there in 2010-11 as their QB coach.

i am just worried that brohm will be hazell or hope 2.0. just not impressed with someone having success at a small college.

i am just worried that brohm will be hazell or hope 2.0. just not impressed with someone having success at a small college.

C-USA has been pretty competitive the last few years. ECU and Louisiana Tech have been quite good in addition to WKU. Brohm has a decent pedigree from his connections to Louisville. I definitely get the concern, but I don't think C-USA is significantly different than the MAC.

Reactions: rgarlitz
other than miles, who would be a power conference coach that would leave and come to PU though?
berghoff said money is not an issue, but i highly doubt they'd still sign off on a crazy high contract (like an oregon 10m/yr) to lure someone, unless it is all from direct donation/boosters or something

Reactions: Cevol03
This is probably how it played out. I never imagined Miles would come here, and Fleck would always be looking to move on.

Pretty satisfied if Brohm is the one.

I'm beginning to think Brohm is a better fit, especially with his history as a QB/QB coach. Never quite believed that Miles was a good fit, and Fleck's self-promotion makes me skeptical. Too much hype.

ADVERTISEMENT