ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Purdue vs. Virginia Tech (Charleston Classic Championship)

Good effort Boilers....and a learning experience. Tough one to drop when had control for a good part.....just didn't make enough plays in the second half.
We missed a lot of shots in 2nd half. VA T hit a lot. We got outscored by at least 12 from the line. Evan B is really good. This Purdue team is way better than I expected.

With this dumbassery. Time for a break until the next game. Hopefully next time we don’t let them dictate Haarms not being part of the action. Love Carsen, but we’re goong to need more.

This why people laugh at Purdue fans.

Bye. Have a great evening...

I wonder if Matt Haarms turning his ankle in the first half didn't play into his absence/lack of effectiveness. Also I agree that Nojel Eastern's foul trouble hurt.....you hate losing, but this game will serve them well down the line.

Bothers me that Haarms was useless tonight. That doesn’t bode well at all
At 7’-3” he’s worried more about leaving the floor to block shots than blocking out, staying strong, and rebounding. Reminds me of Haas with his size was not a good rebounder.

At 7’-3” he’s worried more about leaving the floor to block shots than blocking out, staying strong, and rebounding. Reminds me of Haas with his size was not a good rebounder.

I don't think the game plan utilizes him enough on mismatches.

With this dumbassery. Time for a break until the next game. Hopefully next time we don’t let them dictate Haarms not being part of the action. Love Carsen, but we’re goong to need more.

This why people laugh at Purdue fans.

Uh no. I’m a Michigan fan and felt Painter really dropped the ball by failing to work the refs. Purdue got jobbed and he literally sat there and took it.

Refs were terrible, even more so having Nojel out with foul trouble really hurt us, he is too important of a defensive and rebounding main stay to be out for extended periods.

On to the next one, our team will improve!

Reactions: Roeder
You think PU wins if the game called differently...….and don't tell me it was a fairly called game.
Eh, maybe. Didnt think officiating was awful. They drove to the basket more and consistently drew more contact than we did.

The block call was terrible and that was a big one. But still think they are more talented than us, especially on the perimeter. Need more out of Haarms and Wheeler for us to beat really good teams. Wheelers D is... not good. Handles are shaky too.

Reactions: Gman544
Uh no. I’m a Michigan fan and felt Painter really dropped the ball by failing to work the refs. Purdue got jobbed and he literally sat there and took it.
And I find it to be the single dumbest criticism ever given from a television viewing sports fan. You have zero idea what Painter was saying to the refs because the camera is barely on the coach. So again it’s a moronic assertion.

Eh, maybe. Didnt think officiating was awful. They drove to the basket more and consistently drew more contact than we did.

The block call was terrible and that was a big one. But still think they are more talented than us, especially on the perimeter. Need more out of Haarms and Wheeler for us to beat really good teams. Wheelers D is... not good. Handles are shaky too.

My biggest issue is they completely ignored the verticality rule. For the most part at least 6 of the calls were good Purdue defense and not fouls.

He also rotates on D way more. Than he should and puts himself in bad spots to get beat. At 7'3 he should be blocking a ton of.shots but he is to far from the basket all the time.

Disagree. All 3 of their guards scored at least 23 points. Too quick and talented for us.
They got off in the second half because we lacked team basketball. We didn't rebound, we lost our man on defense. CMP does need to argue calls as soon as he can see the switch in calls. We need Hunter to develop fast or we will see alot of 2 guards creating shots for themselves.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan

Well we knew that VT is like #16 (whatever) so PU was in for a tough, tough game. But throw in some questionable officiating, to what degree we might argue, and it was too much for this young PU team to handle on the road. I have no problem with this team at all.

And I find it to be the single dumbest criticism ever given from a television viewing sports fan. You have zero idea what Painter was saying to the refs because the camera is barely on the coach. So again it’s a moronic assertion.

Look, you need to get over it. You may disagree. And that's fine. But calling me a moron for my comment, which others seem to agree with, isn't constructive. Have a good night.

We hit 1 half and they didn’t...we didn’t hit 2nd half and they did...the refs determined the game the whole 2nd half and it really hurt our rotations with guys in foul trouble (frustrating) so 26 to 11 in free throw advantage just shows it wasn’t called fair...hell Vt hardly picked up 7 total fouls the whole 2nd half lol

The reason we couldn't guard their guards is because every time we did, a foul was called. Talent had nothing to do with the loss tonight.
Come on man. Their 3 guards scored like 73 points between them. A couple bad calls doesn’t account for all that. They were driving, drawing and dishing for open 3s the entire second half. We were too slow to stay with them without bumping and grabbing.

Reactions: jdbrewer
We hit 1 half and they didn’t...we didn’t hit 2nd half and they did...the refs determined the game the whole 2nd half and it really hurt our rotations with guys in foul trouble (frustrating) so 26 to 11 in free throw advantage just shows it wasn’t called fair...hell Vt hardly picked up 7 total fouls the whole 2nd half lol
The 26 fouls were ok. Can't think of one beyond the block/charge that was bad. They had superior athletes and killed us with quickness and drives. But the 11 free throws for Purdue was low. A number of uncalled fouls.

Reactions: jdbrewer
Right. The other two guys we could not cover scoring 20 plus was.

You stated Cline couldn't guard. The other guards had 20 plus as well. Does that mean Eastern and Carsen can't guard either? And I guess they're not athletic enough either, right? What I saw was a lot of ticky tack fouls that prevented ALL of our guards from playing D. Not just Cline.

Come on man. Their 3 guards scored like 73 points between them. A couple bad calls doesn’t account for all that. They were driving, drawing and dishing for open 3s the entire second half. We were too slow to stay with them without bumping and grabbing.
Purdue was terrible in finding their guy in transition. Also felt like VT pushed the ball fast in the 2nd half. And x amount of years now we over help and leave guys so wide open.

Life with Purdue b ball. Good solid players. Good fundamentals. Usually one or two superior atheletes. Nice record. Nice team

Not necessarily, tell me how did we guard them the first half so well. They played smarter and our PG didn't or wasn't finding others to benefit. When we played within the system it worked. CMP needs to pull the reins back on Edwards.

Well we knew that VT is like #16 (whatever) so PU was in for a tough, tough game. But throw in some questionable officiating, to what degree we might argue, and it was too much for this young PU team to handle on the road. I have no problem with this team at all.
Yep. It will be a teachable moment for them.

You stated Cline couldn't guard. The other guards had 20 plus as well. Does that mean Eastern and Carsen can't guard either? And I guess they're not athletic enough either, right? What I saw was a lot of ticky tack fouls that prevented ALL of our guards from playing D. Not just Cline.
Cline was an example. Edward's not a great defender... he was not in foul trouble and still was burnt. Eastern WAS impacted by fouls, he could not guard without fouling their great point guard. They were superior atheletes four for them, two for Purdue. Did bad calls hurt? Yes. I am sure VT was not happy with Early fouls on their center.

Not necessarily, tell me how did we guard them the first half so well. They played smarter and our PG didn't or wasn't finding others to benefit. When we played within the system it worked. CMP needs to pull the reins back on Edwards.
Well I don’t know if that would work. But we need more designed plays for Eastern. He is such an important piece of our success.

Well I don’t know if that would work. But we need more designed plays for Eastern. He is such an important piece of our success.
Agree, but we can't let him dictate every possession. If so, he can get a little erratic and not find others within a set play.

The 26 fouls were ok. Can't think of one beyond the block/charge that was bad. They had superior athletes and killed us with quickness and drives. But the 11 free throws for Purdue was low. A number of uncalled fouls.
The charge Sasha drew that was called a blocking foul...the wrap around on Grady and the ball goes out on Grady, defender got all hands no ball...those were the 2 obvious ones in the 2nd half that were missed, which killed us on point swing! Good for them for making shots 2nd half but our defenders can’t be aggressive if they’re calling everything!

Reactions: mathboy
Agree, but we can't let him dictate every possession. If so, he can get a little erratic and not find others within a set play.
They pressured him well today. Problem was he wasn’t getting help from his teammates when the double came.

But apparently all you have to is yell at officials and all will be well.

Problem is, he has to score 30 plus to beat a ranked team. They just don't have the firepower after Cline. No one can get their own shot besides Edward's and Eastern ( against better teams) and Eastern has to shoot from under 10 feet.

Problem is, he has to score 30 plus to beat a ranked team. They just don't have the firepower after Cline. No one can get their own shot besides Edward's and Eastern ( against better teams) and Eastern has to shoot from under 10 feet.
Evan had 18.

But good job you didn’t use the word athlete. That’s a good step for you.

Reactions: mathboy
Yep. It will be a teachable moment for them.
Eastern will learn. Great defender, but will learn from defending great , quick guard and foul calls against him. One less foul against him he gets more minutes, and impacts the game more. Next time against big time guard with that quickness he will do better.

They pressured him well today. Problem was he wasn’t getting help from his teammates when the double came.

But apparently all you have to is yell at officials and all will be well.
I disagree, when Edwards went out in the first half we made a run. Purdue is going to score from set plays. We went away from set plays when Edwards was thinking shot first and set play second.

ADVERTISEMENT