ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread - 2/9/22 vs. Penn State (7pm on BTN+)

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
9-13 (3-9)

Both teams coming into this game on losing streaks. We have lost 3 straight and they have lost 6 straight. If we're going to reach a .500 conference record by the end of the season, we can only drop one more game and that game probably shouldn't be any of our remaining home games so in that sense this is a must-win for us.

Not looking crisp early on. Down 9-7 midway through the 1st quarter with PSU shooting 2 fts after the timeout.

Really bad quarter. Missing bunnies, turnovers like Versyp’s teams (7). This is discouraging. No 3PT makes. 5 pt swing at end of quarter with us missing a 2 pt with 5 sec left (shot too early) and then they make a last second 3PT.

Purdue now leads by one 34-33 at the half, so out scored Penn State by 10. Shooting better and not turning ball over as much (only 3 TO’s in 2nd Q). Penn State still getting players wide open under the basket. Not sure what is going on with our D. But we have made up a lot of ground due to Penn State’s poor play.

Last edited:
1st qtr PSU by 9
2nd qtr Purdue by 10
3rd qtr PUrdue by 11

Got a 12 point lead going to the 4th.

A much needed win which seemed in the bag in the 4th, but the same problems the men have/had?) popped up and almost cost the game due to myriad turnovers, But Layden who has been in a cocoon for a while hit two difficult jumper and sealed the win. She was second leading scorer as Woltman was the star with 18, her highest total ever and a lot of good rebounding. Without the many to's Purdue would have won easily but the fire from the PSU star with 30 almost pulled it out. But good D earlier gave the Boilers enough of a lead to survive, giving us 14 wins. Hard to believe that Purdue will not beat Wisconsin twice and illiinois once, which means the tough games are at Rutgers and at NW. Winning one of them and one in the BTT could secure the NIT, which I think is the best we can do and would be a good first year achievement. Of course we almost beat Indiana twice so not saying they cannot surprise and get in the NCAA. But I think that is unlikely. KG is seeing that Moore and Smith must be on the floor more and were.

Dang I thought this game was tomorrow so totally missed it. Was scrolling thru Twitter and saw a post about it. Darn it. But …. Good game summary from the thread, so thanks guys for putting this together. Sounds like Woltman had a really good game. Happy for her. Layden as well.

I wish Rickie would move with a little more purpose and aggression under the basket - at both ends of the floor, but hard to nitpick after her solid double-double tonight.

On to Wisconsin Sunday! Bring the hammer!

Reactions: DocRon and TC4THREE
She was much more aggressive tonight and a big part of our improvement. We can't forget that she is a true forward playing center in a league full of tall centers. Impressive. Learn too is holding her own out of position.

If KG can pick a solid transfer big it will be huge, She knows that. But she wants mobility too, A lot BT teams have that some in spades.

She was much more aggressive tonight and a big part of our improvement. We can't forget that she is a true forward playing center in a league full of tall centers. Impressive. Learn too is holding her own out of position.
Good to hear. All I saw was a 7-second clip on Twitter where Layden got a steal , passed to RW under the basket and she made the layup. There wasn’t much “energy” evident, but again, it was 7 seconds.
Ava Learn has a higher motor and seems more mobile and athletic - but I’m honestly pumped for Rickie after she spent 2 years barely seeing the floor. I think it’s just her nature to be quiet and stoic - she even said as much during a post-game presser alongside Brooke Moore back in December.
This team is such a pleasant surprise this year that I find myself expecting more than what they may be capable of ….
Regardless, It’s been a joy to watch and follow them - and their dynamo coach!

RE-FRESH-ING !!!

Reactions: DocRon
I agree. Much more aggressive tonight. Of course, PSU does not have a dominant center so she should have been.

A much needed win which seemed in the bag in the 4th, but the same problems the men have/had?) popped up and almost cost the game due to myriad turnovers, But Layden who has been in a cocoon for a while hit two difficult jumper and sealed the win. She was second leading scorer as Woltman was the star with 18, her highest total ever and a lot of good rebounding. Without the many to's Purdue would have won easily but the fire from the PSU star with 30 almost pulled it out. But good D earlier gave the Boilers enough of a lead to survive, giving us 14 wins. Hard to believe that Purdue will not beat Wisconsin twice and illiinois once, which means the tough games are at Rutgers and at NW. Winning one of them and one in the BTT could secure the NIT, which I think is the best we can do and would be a good first year achievement. Of course we almost beat Indiana twice so not saying they cannot surprise and get in the NCAA. But I think that is unlikely. KG is seeing that Moore and Smith must be on the floor more and were.
Yes, but Smith’s TO’s are troublesome. She gets going so fast… Kinda like Ivey was as a freshman. Hopefully she will mature as he has.

Reactions: RBryant311
ADVERTISEMENT