ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread - 2/4/22 vs Northwestern (6 pm on BTN+)

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
11-8 (3-5)

They have lost 4 in a row and haven't played since last Friday after their 3rd conference game postponed against Illinois on Sunday. Their postponements have been games against MInnesota, MSU, and Illinois so it's possible they could be sitting here with a 6-5 conference record had they played those games as scheduled.

IMO, there's maybe 3 tiers in the conference. The upper tier is the top 6 teams of which we haven't been able to beat any yet. Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio State, Maryland, and Nebraska. We are in that 2nd tier along with MSU and Northwestern. Teams I think will have close to a .500 conference record when all is said and done. Then the rest of the teams are seem to be destined for 7 wins or less in Minnesota, Penn State, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Rutgers.

So Northwestern is a team I view as on our level and we still play them twice this season. Need to win at home today because we still have to go play them on the road.

Reactions: RBryant311
Just when you become optimistic, we have a horrible half like this. No production from Cass or Madison and no rebounding. Wow.

We are going to get pummeled if we don’t turn this around. By a mediocre team that we should beat.

When is the last time we finished the first half with no points from Hardin and Layden and only 22 points total?

Last edited:
Didn't catch this one. Sounds like it was a struggle. Really one of these shouldn't be too surprising. For the most part we've managed to beat most teams with similar to us in the standings this season and compete with some teams above us. This is the first game I would say we got beaten soundly by a team that is close to our same level. Shows that every game is different, there's still much work to do, and I'm still really optimistic about the long-term of the program. This might knock us out of the NCAA tournament talk for the season unless we find a way to win in Bloomington.

I watched from about midpoint of the 2nd Q. Ugly. Scorers couldn’t score, got beat soundly in the rebound stats, and - just like some of the men’s games - NW had an unusually superb game and couldn’t miss. Geez.
But the ladies kept fighting - lotta turnovers tho’. More than usual, and they just looked out of sorts.
Hoping this is a 1-off and they get back in rhythm at IU. Afraid that game could be even uglier if this performance carries over. Effort was there but execution was nowhere to be found tonight.

Reactions: TC4THREE and DocRon
First totally poor game we have played this season. Terrible the whole game. At Indiana ain’t gonna fix it. Hoping to return to good play afterwards. NIT now unless we collapse. Part of this loss tho was awful shooting. Could hit nothing. I think Smith has to play more.

I wonder why Northwestern recently always has such good games against us. I remember when they played us early in the season last year and they looked unbeatable as they beat us by 16 and it wasn’t even that close. They drained almost everything they put up. But they finished the season a mediocre 11-7 in the B1G.

Just like this Northwestern team had lost 4 straight games but yet looked pretty damn good against us. Go figure.

Yes their D really confounded us and we missed a ton of shots we sometimes hit. We had it down to 9 in the 4th but could hit nothing. Those things happen. I am anxious to see us play way better in our remaining games like we mostly have been.

ADVERTISEMENT