ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread - 2/24/22 at Northwestern (8pm on BTN+)

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
This will be an interesting game as they handled us when we played them at home a few weeks ago so I feel like this team should show up in Evanston with a chip on their shoulder. Winning this game would allow us a shot at a .500 conference season. Also, there's a decent chance this could be our opening round opponent in the Big Ten tournament as we're both currently in the 8/9 positions and won't drop any further than that. MSU could also drop down into the 8/9 picture as they have a couple of tough games left.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ Ford
This team desperately needs a break - and they aren't getting it - super tired legs and that's not good when we are this guard oriented. Kinda wish they had a 2 week covid break in Jan like a lot of teams did. It's the same for the men's side. Purdue basically is getting punished because our teams managed Covid better than a lot of others. Stupid.

A lot of teams who aren't super deep hit walls at this point of the season. They've played 3 games in a 7-day stretch with two of them being away games. And we have 2 more in the next 5 days. I know KG doesn't want to play a super big rotation - and yes, the 8-woman rotation gives us the best chance of winning, but it's not going to look too pretty. Jack up a lot of threes and hope they go in at this point. While overachieving, our post players are pretty limited and Woltman can't stay out of foul trouble so that's not helping.

Last edited:
This team desperately needs a break - and they aren't getting it - super tired legs and that's not good when we are this guard oriented. Kinda wish they had a 2 week covid break in Jan like a lot of teams did. It's the same for the men's side. Purdue basically is getting punished because our teams managed Covid better than a lot of others. Stupid.

A lot of teams who aren't super deep hit walls at this point of the season. They've played 3 games in a 7-day stretch with two of them being away games. And we have 2 more in the next 5 days. I know KG doesn't want to play a super big rotation - and yes, the 8-woman rotation gives us the best chance of winning, but it's not going to look too pretty. Jack up a lot of threes and hope they go in at this point. While overachieving, our post players are pretty limited and Woltman can't stay out of foul trouble so that's not helping.
Lol. After reading this assessment. I would swear this team's record is something like 3-24 instead of 16-11 and 7-9 in the conference.

It's funny how different people see things differently. I see a team on the upswing. They are on a two game winning streak with a real chance to finish the regular season on a 4 game winning streak. This would give them a .500 conference record and 18 wins for the season. Pretty big accomplishments considering all the dire predictions they faced before the season started.

I see a team with two freshmen that have shown enormous potential for the rest of this season and into the future. A team that has accomplished all this playing without their 6'6" starting center.

I think this team is and should be very proud of the season they have had. And the best part is, it is not over yet!

You can't objectively call the last 3 games to be great games for Purdue - our shooting has been pretty horrid and it's more of the fact that Illinois and Rutgers are just plain BAD than Purdue playing really well. And we lost to a really bad Wisconsin team.

You can't objectively call the last 3 games to be great games for Purdue - our shooting has been pretty horrid and it's more of the fact that Illinois and Wisconsin are just plain BAD than Purdue playing really well.
Winning ugly is still winning. The fact that some here are looking for style points now when I don't think anyone predicted a winning record this season is proof of how well this team has performed.

I'm not attacking anyone and yes during the dog days of Feb when teams, especially ones who never got a "covid pause" are just plain exhausted and it's the reason games have been ugly. Right now it's just about surviving and going on to the next until march gets here and they can rest before the BTT. I'm happy with the way this team is fighting.

Lol. After reading this assessment. I would swear this team's record is something like 3-24 instead of 16-11 and 7-9 in the conference.

It's funny how different people see things differently. I see a team on the upswing. They are on a two game winning streak with a real chance to finish the regular season on a 4 game winning streak. This would give them a .500 conference record and 18 wins for the season. Pretty big accomplishments considering all the dire predictions they faced before the season started.

I see a team with two freshmen that have shown enormous potential for the rest of this season and into the future. A team that has accomplished all this playing without their 6'6" starting center.

I think this team is and should be very proud of the season they have had. And the best part is, it is not over yet!
I think the discussion on the ladies has been fine, I agree with you Russ, been a nice season, probably a 17 win regular season. It would be nice to win a game or two in the Big Ten tourney! Future looks bright although I still hope 1 really good portal player is brought in.

Here's the part of the Big Ten standings that's relevant to us:

7. MSU 8-7 (1 - vs OSU)
8. NW 7-7 (2 - vs Purdue, at Nebraska)
9. Purdue 7-9 (2 - at NW, vs Wisconsin)

If we were to win our last 2, MSU loses to OSU, and NW loses at Nebraska, I think that puts us in 7th place since we have a tiebreaker over MSU and gives us a better 1st round matchup in the BTT against the 10 seed (currently Minnesota). Lose tonight, and our first round matchup is either MSU or NW.

Senior night for Northwestern and they get on the board first. 2-0 as Layden has missed a couple early jumpers for us.

Hardin hits a 3 to answer one from NW. 5-3.
Purdue with a steal and a transition layup. Tied up at 5.

NW banks in a 3. 8-5.

Layden answers on a pass out from Woltman who was doubled in the post. 8-8.

Another Northwestern 3. 11-8.
Ellis gets a layup. 11-10.
Non-shooting foul on Layden and we go to timeout with 4 minutes left in 1st.

Northwestern gets into the paint and scores. 13-10
Ellis misses a 3.
NW misses a 3 but rebound out of bounds off Purdue.
NW drives for an open layup. 15-10
Purdue careless on inbounds pass and NW steals and scores a layup. 17-10
Moore hits a 3. 17-13
NW misses a 3 but gets the rebound then misses another and NW called for their first foul on the rebound with under 2:00.

Moore with a jumper off the dribble. 17-15.
Layden called for her second foul I believe but announcers aren't clarifying the fouls.
Now NW called for an illegal screen. Purdue ball with 51 seconds. Chance to go 2-for-1.
Purdue doesn't even get a shot off though. NW ball with 21 seconds left.
Northwestern can't get a shot off either.
End of 1st quarter. 17-15 Northwestern.

Last edited:
Looked ok in the first quarter. The careless inbounds pass that gave Northwestern an easy 2 hurt. Rebounds hurt us the first time we played Northwestern and this first quarter we have seen a bit more of that. We're going to have battle there all night if we want to hang in this one. This is where Kyle and her size in the post would really help.

Purdue gets ball to start 2nd. Moore draws Burton's 2nd foul with less than 5 on the shot clock but Purdue misses after the dead ball.
Purdue gets a block and gets the ball ahead to Moore for a layup to tie it up at 17. Northwestern with a timeout just a minute into the 2nd quarter. They're going to have to play without Burton some here in the 2nd quarter.

Northwestern misses a jumper out of the timeout. Purdue rebounds and finds Learn inside for a layup. 19-17 Boilers.
Another NW miss and Purdue board.
Purdue finds Hardin with an open look from 3 in corner but no good.
Northwestern misses again on the other end.
Ellis misses driving jumper at ft line on our side. NW rebound.
NW banks in a 3. 20-19 NW.
Bad post entry by us is picked off by NW but they miss on their end and ball is out of bounds to Purdue.

Hardin misses a 3 as the shot clock expires and there's a jump ball on the rebound scramble. NW possession. 5:58. Burton back into the game with 2 fouls. NW immediately gets a layup. 22-19

Moore drives into the lane and misses a tough layup. Rebound out of bounds to NW.
NW hits a 3 on the other end. 25-19 and Purdue throws the ball away going the other way. 8-0 run by NW here.
Learn blocks a shot inside and Purdue gets the loose ball.
Learn finds Ellis cutting for a reverse layup. 25-21 ends a 4 minute Purdue drought.

NW with a ft line jumper. 27-21 NW.
Layden misses a 3. NW rebound.
Layden foul on other end. Her 3rd foul trying to fight through a perimeter screen.
NW misses jumper. Purdue board.
Moore misses a 3. NW rebound and finds a 3 in transition on the other end. 30-21.
Hardin drives for a layup and gets fouled. 30-23 with a ft from Hardin coming.
Free throw is no good.
NW misses a driving layup but Hardin called for block inside the cylinder. NW hits 2 fts. 32-23.

Smith misses a short runner. Woltman foul on other end. 1:30 left in half.
NW misses driving layup.
Terry finds Ellis for a layup. 32-25
Smith whistled for Purdue's 4th team foul in quarter.
NW finds a layup off the inbounds pass. 34-25.
Ellis steps out of bounds trying to drive the baseline. NW ball with shot clock off.
Woltman with a block out of bounds to NW with 6 seconds left. Can't find anything before the end of the half. 34-25 NW.

Reactions: Russ Ford
NW had a long drought when Burton went to the bench for them but as soon as she came back in Northwestern took control of the game. Like DocRon said, way too many turnovers. Not shooting particularly well, and struggling to keep pace on the boards. This is just not a great matchup for us right now. The good news that I think Northwestern is losing several starters after this season.

Reactions: DocRon
BTW I've been critical of the announcers we get for our home games on BTN+ so I think it's only fair to say that the announcers for tonight's game at Northwestern have been really good if these are just regular students.

Ref’s not calling a lot of fouls but those they do call are ridiculous. Madison got two of her three fouls when a NW player setting a screen moved into her. CKG was furious.

Purdue only shot one FT and missed that one.

Purdue ball to start the 3rd quarter. Ellis drives and draws Burton's 3rd foul.
Terry gets in the lane and scores. 34-27
NW answers with Burton in the lane. 36-27
Smith gets blocked in the lane and Woltman misses a shot off the scramble. NW rebound.
NW misses a shot, gets rebound, and then misses again. Purdue board.
Ellis gets tied up trying to drive. NW ball.
NW misses a 3. Purdue board.
Terry to Woltman for a layup. 36-29.
NW misses and fouls Hardin on the rebound. Purdue ball.
Purdue gets the ball in the post and Woltman gets a layup. 36-31.
NW gets in the lane and gets one in. 38-31
Bad pass by Terry leads to a NW layup in transition and gets fouled. 40-31 with a NW ft coming.
Free throw good. 41-31.

Woltman with another layup off a Terry feed. 41-33
NW misses a 3, gets rebound, then misses a layup. Purdue rebound.
Ellis misses a 3. NW rebound.
NW misses a 3 on their end but Terry called for a foul on the rebound. Her 2nd.
Learn in and played really good defense, stripping a NW players on the drive. NW misses 3 at end of shot clock. Purdue rebound.
Purdue throws it away on the other end. NW ball after 5:00 media timeout. 41-33 NW

NW turnover coming out of the timeout.
Purdue returns the favor and turns it over back to NW.
NW misses a 3 but gets the rebound but gets called for an offensive foul. Turnover city here in the 3rd.
Learn tries to feed the post from the top of the key but fires it out of bounds. Turnover Purdue.
Burton fouled on the drive by Learn. She'll shoot 2. Hits 1. 42-33 NW. 3:43 left.

Ellis misses a driving shot in the lane with shot clock running down but Purdue gets a jump ball on the rebound and retains possession.
Layden knocks down a 3. 42-36 NW 3:00 left
NW gets the ball into the paint and is fouled by Learn and will shoot 2 fts. Hits both to go up 44-36. 2:41 left in 3rd.

Terry misses a fadeaway jumper. NW rebound.
NW misses a jumper but a bad foul call on Purdue on the rebound will give NW 2 fts.
They hit one to go back up 9.
Purdue turns ball over on an over-and-back.

Purdue really not doing anything meaningful on offense. Somewhat reminds me of how they looked most all season last year. Just continuous bad turnovers. Struggling to pass the ball around the perimeter and no purpose with their offensive execution. It's been passing the ball around the perimeter and then, if they haven't turned the ball over in the first 20 seconds of the shot clock, someone trying to go one-on-one to score.

49-40 NW going to the 4th quarter. Had a chance to be within 7 but NW converts in the lane on their last possession to push it back out.

I will say this game feels like it should be well into a double-digit margin at this point. We're only down 9 and Northwestern has banked in 2 three-pointers tonight. Could easily be even closer in spite of our offensive struggles. Something to keep in mind if we play them again in Indy.

Layden hits a 3. 49-43
Purdue gets a stop but Terry throws the ball away in transition for our 17th turnover.

ADVERTISEMENT