ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread - 2/20/22 at Rutgers (1pm on BTN)

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
9-17 (2-12)

The men aren't the only Purdue basketball team that plays Rutgers tomorrow. After dropping their first 12 conference games, Rutgers has won 2 in a row. I think this is a game where the records are very misleading. We only beat them at home on one of Terry's buzzer beaters and Rutgers seems to be playing much better of late than they were back then. We're going to have to play well to give ourselves a chance here.

Tim Newton just said on the radio broadcast that Kyle is still using her scooter part-time and that ”it is getting less and less likely that we will see her playing this season.”

Also said that Oriyomi and Gony did not make the trip - no reason given.

Purdue 15-14 1:00 left in 1st. Madison needs to get her legs into her shot. Almost everything she shoots is short. Maybe she needs to get home and work with Mom & Dad. When I watched her in High School she hardly missed.

Reactions: DocRon
Unbelievable end of quarter clock management. Rutgers scores and they simply forgot to reset the shot clock which led to our violation and TO. The announcers were clueless. The refs went to look at it and just like waved it off and gave the ball to Rutgers. Ridicoulous

Reactions: pufan73 and DocRon
Unbelievable end of quarter clock management. Rutgers scores and they simply forgot to reset the shot clock which led to our violation and TO. The announcers were clueless. The refs went to look at it and just like waved it off and gave the ball to Rutgers. Ridicoulous
I missed it too. Lol.

That last foul on Lassiter against Ellis should have been intentional as she wrapped her arms around her to prevent the layup. These refs suck.

Reactions: Russ Ford
As she walks off at halftime, Layden looks completely exhausted.

Wow, Tim Newton just said that in the B1G season, the only team that is shooting 3PT shots worse than us is Illinois. I thought that would be one of our strong points.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Wow, Tim Newton just said that in the B1G season, the only team that is shooting 3PT shots worse than us is Illinois. I thought that would be one of our strong points.

Tough but nice and important road win. We fire threes no matter what because they are so open but in an 11 pt win we hit 4 more than Rutgers and bingo. Ellis is just starch in the shirt and Learn is going to be a star as is Smith. Layden seems to be off but finished with 15. Excellent D down the stretch. The announcers said it was unusual that we play 4 guards but we have no legitimate centers. Learn and Woltman are forwards but have good feet so they are almost like another guard. Due to this Rutgers killed us inside, but not enough and our perimeter D gave them little. On to tough road game at NW, then we better get revenge on Wisc at home. Still saying NIT unless we win a bunch in BTT. I count this team out of no games.

Honestly, the announcers were terrible. And of course, the officials were not great either.

We shoot a lot of treys. When we hit we win. When we miss trouble. We are often wide open when we shoot. Wondering some of the time if we shouldn’t dribble and shoot closer or drive to basket or pass when we drive. When we are missing a lot of treys we usually fall behind. Missing them stalls our 0 and gives the other team transition.

Last edited:
Another career game for Learn with 13 pts. She's been HUGE for us down the stretch. She's playing out of position now but I can't wait for her to team up with a true post, she's going to be an extremely effective swing forward for us in the future.
Looking forward to watching Learn when she puts on some muscle weight - and is allowed to play as a 4, which is her natural position.

Honestly, the announcers were terrible. And of course, the officials were not great either.
After trying to rewatch the game with the TV sound up (I has listened to Tim Newton during the actual game which is my usual) I have decided these two women were the worst announcers I have ever heard on a BTN broadcast. They were even worse than most of the student announcers on BTN+, and that is saying something.

After trying to rewatch the game with the TV sound up (I has listened to Tim Newton during the actual game which is my usual) I have decided these two women were the worst announcers I have ever heard on a BTN broadcast. They were even worse than most of the student announcers on BTN+, and that is saying something.
They weren’t great, guessing a Purdue at Rutgers women’s hoop game isn’t getting their best. Not going to lie, that was really difficult to watch. Purdue has overachieved, skill level wise the team needs quite a few upgrades.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT