ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread 12/8/21 - at #8 Maryland (BTN+ at 7pm)

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
W 97-67 vs Longwood
W 88-67 vs Villanova
W 81-45 at James Madison
W 98-57 vs Mount St. Mary's
W 108-66 vs UNC Wilmington
W 79-76 vs Baylor
L 78-60 vs NC State
L 86-67 vs Stanford
W 82-74 vs Miami (FL)
W 73-59 at Rutgers

One note regarding their schedule. They are scheduled to play at #1 South Carolina on Sunday. Perhaps they'll have one eye on that game tomorrow.

Reactions: DocRon
Hope they have their whole head in the future. If this isnt a total beat down
That would be encouraging. Mostly Md wrecked us under V.

Reactions: RBryant311
This has the makings of a 80-55 game, hope I’m wrong but Purdue’s offense isn’t impressive, they’ll play some D but guessing Maryland ends up wearing them down and wins easily.

Reactions: RBryant311
If the team competes and executes the game plan, that's a a success. Play good defense, take care of the ball, and then let the chips fall where they may. Love the approach as they appear focused on the process rather than simply the result and that's how teams get better.

Reactions: purduedavie
13-12 Maryland at the first tv timeout. I missed the first couple of minutes but have seen 3's from Hardin and Smith and steal/layup from Ellis. Have lost players players from Maryland inside a couple of times.

22-21 Boilers after 1st quarter. Hardin had at least 8 that I saw. Going to be tough on us to keep up this pace offensively as short-handed as we are and they are having their way with us inside and on the boards so far. Good first quarter though.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Moore hit a 3, her second of the game, to start the 2nd quarter and put us up 25-21 but Maryland rattled off the next 5 and leads 26-25 and there's now a stoppage due to clock issues.

Ellis and Smith get into the lane for scores on consecutive possessions. Boilers up 29-26.

12 turnovers already but tied up at 29 midway through the 2nd quarter.

Doumbia hits a short jumper to go up 34-32 with less than 3 in the half.

Moore with her 4th 3. That one off the dribble as the shot clock wound down. 37-34 Boilers. 99 seconds left in 1st half.

Maryland gets a basket to make it 40-36 Boilers at halftime. Moore missed a 3 on Purdue's last possession that half.

Purdue 40-36 at half. Brooke Moore has FIVE 3PT goals in second Q. Unbelievable shooting by the team and we lead despite an unbelievable 17 turnovers.

Maryland is also turning the ball over and missing bunnies. I suspect they will be better in the second half. But for us to lead with two of our best players out is amazing.

Last edited:
Purdue 40-36 at half. Brooke Moore has FIVE 3PT goals in second Q. Unbelievable shooting by the team and we lead despite an unbelievable 17 turnovers.

Maryland is also turning the ball over and missing bunnies. I suspect they will be better in the second half. But for us to lead with two of their best players out is amazing.

Woltman picks up her 3rd foul early and Gony replaces her but she's really struggling. Maryland scores the first 7 points of the 2nd half to go up 43-40.

49-45 Maryland at the tv timeout. Not hitting 60% of our 3's this quarter is really hurting us.

Maryland starting to assert itself on the boards and Purdue not hitting like they were in first half.

55-47 Maryland.

Terry with a 3 point play and Moore hits a 6th 3-pointer on a set play to draw Purdue within 2. 55-53. 66 seconds left in the 3rd.

Terrible foul at the end of the 3rd to give Maryland 2 points. 59-53 end of 3rd. You just can't commit that foul on a rebound with 5 seconds left in the quarter and the other team in the bonus 90 feet away from their basket.

Woltman picks up her 4th. CKG looks like she's keeping her in. I agree right here. Try to stay in the game as long as possible.

Terry picks up another bad foul chasing an offensive rebound. Those fouls are going to turn into points for Maryland later in the quarter just like it did at the end of the 3rd. Have to be smarter.

After Purdue cut to 4 on a score by Ellis, Maryland hits a jumper then collects another Purdue turnover and finds an open layup to go up 8 and forces a timeout. 65-57 with about 7 min left.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Thx for the running summary TC. Not home, don’t have BTN+ - sounds like good fight, but bring short-handed is major deficit even against a lesser opponent
Yeah. Maryland opening it up now. Was on a 9-0 run to push the lead to 15 before Hardin just hit a 3 to break the run and cut it to 12 with 4:21 left.

Hung in through 3 quarters but looks like we've run out of gas in the 4th.

Maryland dribbles out the clock to win 86-71.

I must say that I'm not impressed with Maryland. If that's the bar we need to clear to get to the top of the Big Ten, we're not as far away as I thought.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
We probably just got through the toughest stretch of schedule with a 2-3 record. We now get 3 non-conference home games before jumping back into the Big Ten at the end of the year.

Maryland dribbles out the clock to win 86-71.

I must say that I'm not impressed with Maryland. If that's the bar we need to clear to get to the top of the Big Ten, we're not as far away as I thought.
The Maryland coaches would probably never admit it but I bet they barely spent any time preparing for this game. I'm guessing most if not all their attention has been on South Carolina. And I'm even more sure the players had almost no respect for Purdue going in to the game.

The Maryland coaches would probably never admit it but I bet they barely spent any time preparing for this game. I'm guessing most if not all their attention has been on South Carolina. And I'm even more sure the players had almost no respect for Purdue going in to the game.
That may be and I must confess, I haven't really seen Maryland play the past few years. I just wasn't impressed with them compared to what I was expecting from a team that has dominated the conference like they have. I would be very surprised if they end up in the Final Four.

That may be and I must confess, I haven't really seen Maryland play the past few years. I just wasn't impressed with them compared to what I was expecting from a team that has dominated the conference like they have. I would be very surprised if they end up in the Final Four.
I don't think they will be in the Final 4 either. I would go as far as to say that IU and Iowa have a better chance.

I will be cheering for them against South Carolina this weekend though.

Reactions: DocRon and TC4THREE
ADVERTISEMENT