ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread - 1/9/22 at Michigan State (2pm on BTN+)

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
8-6 (2-1)

W vs Morehead State 93-31
W vs Niagara 89-65
W vs Valparaiso 76-62
W vs Bryant 100-60
L at Fordham 71-68
L at St Francis (BKN) 66-63
W vs Oakland 84-71
W vs Marshall 85-75 We beat Marshall 70-60.
L vs Notre Dame 76-71
L at Iowa 88-61
W vs Illinois 75-60
L vs Florida Gulf Coast 85-84 (2OT)
L vs West Virginia 74-54 We lost to West Virginia 65-57
W vs Nebraska (72-69)

This is a big opportunity to get to .500 in conference and win one on the road. Wasn't really impressed with their resume until that last win against Nebraska. I think they are 7-1 at home and 1-5 away from home.

Also, this is where Tamara Farquhar transferred and she is averaging 5 points and 6 boards in a game in about 22 minutes per game.

Just got the game on near the start of the 3rd quarter. Currently tied at 38 with 3 minutes left in the quarter and Woltman going to the ft line for 2 shots after the tv timeout.

Reactions: Russ Ford
44-43 MSU at the end of 3. Farquhar scored the last 4 for MSU on offensive rebounds.

Shots aren't falling and MSU gets another offensive rebound putback. 46-43 MSU with 8:25 remaining.

Woltman gets an offensive rebound putback of her own and is fouled. Hits the ft to tie it at 46. 7:40 remaining.

Brooke Moore fouled driving to the hoop and gets 2 fts. Hits both. 48-46 Purdue with 6:59 left.

Exchange of illegal screens. Still 50-46 Purdue with the ball and 5:30 left.

Moore with the driving layup is good and the foul. 52-46 at the tv timeout (4:51) with a ft coming on the other side.

Moore with the ft is good. 53-46.

Ellis with a driving layup. It's good and she's fouled. Missed ft. 55-46.

Layden misses a 3 but Ellis gets the rebound and a layup. 57-48. 3:18 left.

Ellis gets a steal on the other end. She's been huge in this run.

Woltman gets a layup. 59-48. MSU timeout. Less than 3 left.

Moore makes up for the foul with a 3 on the other end. 62-50.

MSU gets a floater on the end. 62-52.

MSU fouls Layden. In bonus with 1:44 left. Misses first. Hits 2nd. 63-52.

Farquhar rebound putback. 63-54.

Purdue dribbles about 20 seconds off clock before they get fouled. Terry hits both. 65-54. 63 seconds to go.

Layden diving for a loose ball and Farqhuar lands on top of her. Looked scary for a second but she's back up.

Moore gets a breakaway layup. 67-54 with 30 seconds.

MSU jumper with 26 seconds. 67-56

Terry fouled. Hits both. 69-56.

Reactions: destewart
MSU gets a 3-point play with 15 seconds or so left. Purdue dribbles out the clock. 69-59 win.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Like so often is the case, it was a game of runs. Purdue went like 6 mins without a FG at the end of the 3rd Q and beginning of the 4th. Then they came from behind to outscore MSU by 11 pts in the 4th Q. Madison’s defense on their best player Clouden (who had 50 pts in an earlier game this season) was phenomenal holding her to 7 pts. Woltman, Ellis and Moore scored most of the points in the 4th Q when Purdue went 8/13 in FG.

Woltman did not have a good first half and on at least one timeout you could see Coach KG visibly upset and yelling directly in her face. But she turned it around and had a good 3rd Q and an excellent 4th.

It is with some satisfaction that we beat a team that was favored to beat us and featured a player that left our team when she could have stayed. (Nothing personal against her but I just want her to know she made a mistake.) But maybe she had to do so to be in the graduate program she wanted. (I am trying to cut her some slack.)

Now for Iowa and then IU at home. It won’t be easy. I hope the students come out to support them.

I did see where Coach fussed at Woltman as they came to the bench for a T.O. It was right after she went for a rebound under the basket and either stepped out or was “nudged”. The effort was a little weak IMHO and I guessed that was what CKG was upset about. Regardless, she apparently got it back together to finish the game. Didnt see the 3rd Q or start of the 4th d/t computer issue.

Reactions: DocRon
Woltman with a 12 and 9 line that followed a 14 and 11 line is beautiful to see, under the previous Coach she probably is a bench warmer, been a nice season for her and the lady Boilers. One never knows, maybe they can get a tourney birth, that would be remarkable.

I did see where Coach fussed at Woltman as they came to the bench for a T.O. It was right after she went for a rebound under the basket and either stepped out or was “nudged”. The effort was a little weak IMHO and I guessed that was what CKG was upset about. Regardless, she apparently got it back together to finish the game. Didnt see the 3rd Q or start of the 4th d/t computer issue.
Sorry for you. The first and fourth Q were the best. The 4th was tense for awhile but then we just steadily pulled away and looked like we had total control. So impressed.

But I think you can go back and watch it in the next 24 hrs on BTN+ if you wish.

I did not expect Purdue to win this road game, but I'm putting nothing past a team that hustles and plays this hard. 69 on the road is decent offense, but the D, particularly in the fourth, was over the top. And some of the plays Ellis and Moore made down the stretch were just smart--we want it more--plays. Give credit to Layton too for her unreal D on Clouden. Just a great effort. Do not expect to beat Iowa or Indiana, but this team will not quit and I'm not putting any limitation on them. Early on they made a lot of Versyp era turnovers, but they recovered and only had 4 in the last half. Folks, we have a fun, competitive team again.

I did not expect Purdue to win this road game, but I'm putting nothing past a team that hustles and plays this hard. 69 on the road is decent offense, but the D, particularly in the fourth, was over the top. And some of the plays Ellis and Moore made down the stretch were just smart--we want it more--plays. Give credit to Layton too for her unreal D on Clouden. Just a great effort. Do not expect to beat Iowa or Indiana, but this team will not quit and I'm not putting any limitation on them. Early on they made a lot of Versyp era turnovers, but they recovered and only had 4 in the last half. Folks, we have a fun, competitive team again.
Coach KG said after the game that she told her team at halftime that if they could keep their turnovers under 5 in the second half they would win. And they only had 4 TOs... and they won. Good coach.

Agree with you that an IU win is probably out of reach, but Iowa lost to IUPUI and Northwestern - both unranked. I think it is 50-50 that we can win this home game.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC4THREE
Hoping they have a reasonable shot against Iowa. Not going to give any ground to IU. They are no doubt very good but we played even with Maryland into the fourth quarter without Layden and Kyle. But plenty of time to look at that game after Iowa.

Sorry for you. The first and fourth Q were the best. The 4th was tense for awhile but then we just steadily pulled away and looked like we had total control. So impressed.

But I think you can go back and watch it in the next 24 hrs on BTN+ if you wish.

So much of any sport endeavor is mental, and when you have success like that, it increases confidence. I really hope the team can build on that 4th Q effort and know they “can do it”. Especially at an away arena like they did. It just HAS to be another positive in a season that has already exceeded expectations.
I’m in awe of Coach KG and her staff - would never have believed they’d be where they are at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT