ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread - 1/24/22 at #8 Michigan (6pm on BTN)

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
Another shot at a top ten team, this time on the road. IMO, this is the best team in the Big Ten right now. Only losses at Louisville and at Nebraska so far. A road win here seems unlikely (for almost any team in the country) but I'm open to be surprised.

Yes one of our toughest games. Looking to see his we compete. I would say this tesm has not played a truly bad game this year.

Realize we’re not shooting in Mackey tonight but maybe our Boilermakers have more of those 3’s tucked away for tonight…The great equalizer. Boiler Up!

Reactions: Russ Ford
Michigan is obviously a good team but they’re allowed to be physical with no fouls.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Down 3 at the end of 1st quarter but Michigan leads by 10 midway through the 2nd (31-21). Terry with 2 ft's coming out of the tv timeout to try to cut into that. Would be nice to get to halftime down single digits. If we can weather this 2nd quarter run, and figure out some way to maybe bother Hillmon, then maybe we can hang in this game into the 2nd half.

Reactions: BoilerRam
Down 3 at the end of 1st quarter but Michigan leads by 10 midway through the 2nd (31-21). Terry with 2 ft's coming out of the tv timeout to try to cut into that. Would be nice to get to halftime down single digits. If we can weather this 2nd quarter run, and figure out some way to maybe bother Hillmon, then maybe we can hang in this game into the 2nd half.
I’ve only watched Michigan once but tonight they’re strictly a post scoring team.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Down 7 at half. Could be worse. First few minutes of the 3rd quarter will determine whether we have a game or not. Need to shoot better. I get that Michigan is good defensively, but no excuse for our 5-9 free throw shooting.

Down 9 after 3. Hanging in there but not shooting well enough to really make a strong push so far.

I’m sure the stats will show Michigan shooting a high percentage but 90% of their shots are inside 5 feet.

Reactions: RBryant311
79-66 loss. Too much Hillmon and they beat us by 12 on the boards. We would've had to shoot much better to give ourselves a chance here but the effort was there.

Still this team competed against a team that has been blowing teams out, including a whipping of mighty Maryland on the road. Yes, 13 down is a lot, but that was not true for most of the game. Again, our lack of an inside game killed us but there is nothing we can do now because we don't have the players to stop Michigan's bigs. One note tho--Ellis who is an iron lady did not play a whole lot the second half which was curious. Hope she is okay. The announcers noted that we had played most of our games against the top of the league and only have Indiana of that group left. Starting with Minn at home Thursday, we might be able to win enough to get into the NIT and maybe the Dance if we pull an upset in the BTT. I am beyond happy with this team. And Learn is going to be great for us. Just has true BB instincts.

Still this team competed against a team that has been blowing teams out, including a whipping of mighty Maryland on the road. Yes, 13 down is a lot, but that was not true for most of the game. Again, our lack of an inside game killed us but there is nothing we can do now because we don't have the players to stop Michigan's bigs. One note tho--Ellis who is an iron lady did not play a whole lot the second half which was curious. Hope she is okay. The announcers noted that we had played most of our games against the top of the league and only have Indiana of that group left. Starting with Minn at home Thursday, we might be able to win enough to get into the NIT and maybe the Dance if we pull an upset in the BTT. I am beyond happy with this team. And Learn is going to be great for us. Just has true BB instincts.
At 12-7 an NIT birth barring a disaster should be a lock, think just have to be .500, NCAA isn’t totally out of the question, can this team get to 18-20 wins?

Reactions: DocRon
It could; may well be favored in 8 of the 9 games. Plus an easy draw in first round of BTT. So 20-21 possible which would get them in.

It could; may well be favored in 8 of the 9 games. Plus an easy draw in first round of BTT. So 20-21 possible which would get them in.
That would be a great accomplishment, heck we had 1 fan predict 2-3 wins on here lol. I watched last night, Mich was the better team but Purdue played pretty well, it was a 2 point game late in the third quarter. I liked Woltman’s game, she moves without the ball well.

Reactions: TC4THREE and DocRon
And getting Kyle back will be big, literally. Then rest for Woltman and newly minted Learn. All 3 will be back.

All KG was saying at the beginning of the year after some pretty rough play (although in victories) is that "we'll improve, don't worry, we are going to get better". And boy HAVE THEY!

I watched yesterday and I was impressed with the massive improvement in just a couple months, especially missing a massive piece in Kyle. If you would've told me that we wouldn't have Kyle for the Big Ten season, but still have a fighting chance to make the tournament and win 20 games, I would have put you in an asylum. They fought hard yesterday against an extremely talented, experienced team in Michigan that has everyone back from injuries and has been firing on all cylinders. This team can beat (and maybe "should") beat every team 6-14 in the conference standings - and that, save IU, is pretty much the rest of our schedule! Really hoping they finish strong, string together a nice winning streak, and get close to that 20-win mark before the conference tournament.

That would be a great accomplishment, heck we had 1 fan predict 2-3 wins on here lol. I watched last night, Mich was the better team but Purdue played pretty well, it was a 2 point game late in the third quarter. I liked Woltman’s game, she moves without the ball well.
On her show last night, Katie said she wasn't happy with how they played against Michigan and the team wasn't either. Not satisfied with just competing. Let's GO Boilers!

On her show last night, Katie said she wasn't happy with how they played against Michigan and the team wasn't either. Not satisfied with just competing. Let's GO Boilers!
That's good that they're not satisfied. I thought defensively they could have done better in the interior. I know Hillmon is good but going 12/14 from the field AND shooting 10 free throws on top of that is pretty much the definition of her getting whatever she wanted. Need to find a way to make it harder on her. If we hold her to 8/14, still a very good game, we are in it until the end. They were probably also disappointed in the rebounding margin if I had to guess.

ADVERTISEMENT