ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread - 1/20/22 at Illinois (8pm on BTN+)

The Illini are terrible. That we lost to them over there last year was the nadir of Versyp's demise. It must really be hard for Fahey to see Terry in black and gold. To the victor goes the spoils. After the road game vs Michigan Sunday, I think our schedule may well allow us to go over .500 in the BT. Just a really fun team to root for.

About the time this team starts going into games thinking they should easily win will be about the time we see a big slip up.

They need to play at the same level and intensity they did on Sunday and they should win this game easily.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Glad to see the women are taking care of business. Up 24 going to 4th.

Sloppy play most of first half and in back half of 4th when game was over. In between, fire--14 treys. But the Illini are a very poor team and I doubt it their coach is there next year. Now up to michigan another major test.
Ellis and Moore are very, very good. Layton always and Terry a rock. I think Learn is outplaying Woltman. Sure would like to get a healthy Kyle back.

Sloppy play most of first half and in back half of 4th when game was over. In between, fire--14 treys. But the Illini are a very poor team and I doubt it their coach is there next year. Now up to michigan another major test.
Ellis and Moore are very, very good. Layton always and Terry a rock. I think Learn is outplaying Woltman. Sure would like to get a healthy Kyle back.
I am not sure that Kyle will be an improvement.. at least for awhile until/if she gets in shape.

I am very impressed with Learn in her first few games. And Woltman also looks very comfortable and is showing the potential that for two years laid dormant.

Interesting that in the last two games the only people coming off the bench are Learn, Moore and Smith. (Smith was not available in the IU game due to her ankle injury.) And that is even with the relatively easy win at Illinois.

Apparently Coach KG has decided to not go with Doumbia or Oriyomi for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC4THREE
I think the production from our true freshmen bodes really well for the future and also it's telling how KG can develop talent - look how much Woltman has also developed during the time coached under her.

Others think that SV's biggest weakness was recruiting - I disagree, she recruited some good talent during her time at the helm - but I don't think she was able to develop a lot of that talent. It's looking like KG can do both which is great news for the program.

Yes, agree about Versyp, but every year she would lose key players and her roster would dwindle. KG has a lot of players now and some good recruits coming in. It will be interesting to see who she retains. It appears that if she does not have key losses the Boilers could be very salty next year.

From my understanding, all the current seniors have the opportunity to return and use their covid years although I definitely don't think that'll happen.

Seniors
Hardin - She'll most likely hang em up and focus on medical school
Doumbia - Grad transfer? I just don't see her returning with her limited time she has been shown/Nor would I think KG would want that to happen
Gony - Possible Grad transfer to a lower level/don't expect her to be back (Side note - her high rated 6'4 W sister transferred from Miami a few months ago - showed some signs of good play her freshman year and SV recruited her - she hasn't picked a school yet so might be an interesting off season story to follow)
Moore- The only real option of a super senior return. She has really flourished under KG and would really help next year in helping bridge the gap of our freshmen Gs. She also might need another year to graduate since she transferred - I would think KG would welcome her back and she could really have a great year for us providing instant offense.

With the departure of Makolo - it really wouldn't hurt, scholarship-wise, to have Moore return, I'm actually hoping it happens. Seasoned guards really help teams win. (Ask 7th year Patburg at IU)

From my understanding, all the current seniors have the opportunity to return and use their covid years although I definitely don't think that'll happen.

Seniors
Hardin - She'll most likely hang em up and focus on medical school
Doumbia - Grad transfer? I just don't see her returning with her limited time she has been shown/Nor would I think KG would want that to happen
Gony - Possible Grad transfer to a lower level/don't expect her to be back (Side note - her high rated 6'4 W sister transferred from Miami a few months ago - showed some signs of good play her freshman year and SV recruited her - she hasn't picked a school yet so might be an interesting off season story to follow)
Moore- The only real option of a super senior return. She has really flourished under KG and would really help next year in helping bridge the gap of our freshmen Gs. She also might need another year to graduate since she transferred - I would think KG would welcome her back and she could really have a great year for us providing instant offense.

With the departure of Makolo - it really wouldn't hurt, scholarship-wise, to have Moore return, I'm actually hoping it happens. Seasoned guards really help teams win. (Ask 7th year Patburg at IU)
Agreed, hope Moore returns, instant offense off the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT