ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread - 1/16/22 vs #5/#6 Indiana (2pm on FS1)

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
13-2 (5-0)

Have won 8 in a row and both losses on the season were to two other top ten teams. We have our work cut out for us. They aren't deep, particularly with their top scorer out, and only played 6 in their win over Nebraska on Thursday night. Of course, we're down a couple of key pieces also with Kyle and Smith out.

Two former Purdue players battling out as HC’s…I never cared much for Verysp after she took the job at IU and have really had trouble not disliking IU Coach now…Her mannerisms remind me of Pat Summit’s who I never cared for. But think we are very mismatched today. That means we just have to come at IU with that much more effort…Boiler Up!

Reactions: RBryant311
IU leading scorer, Holmes still out with knee injury. Heard Cardano-Hillary also out for IU today.

I know….So great to see that kind of turnout back for the WBB Program!! And love Katie calling for the Crowd to get into it…🤣
By the sounds of it, there's a fair number of IU fans there as you would hope for a top ten team.

Great first half! Purdue up 32-27. Brooke Moore and Madison Layden playing really well. And how about Ava Learn, where has she been all year? Very nice first half from the young lady from New York.

I saw on Twitter that the Paint Crew posted something about “the lower bowl” and the black-out. Led me to believe they might show up in force, and I think some are there as I saw several (male) students in those black/gold overalls 😊

Great first half! Purdue up 32-27. Brooke Moore and Madison Layden playing really well. And how about Ava Learn, where has she been all year? Very nice first half from the young lady from New York.
Now if Hardin can break free of her defender long enough to get some shots up. I’m ready to see the three’s to start falling this half…

Reactions: JeffBoiler
She spelled Rickie Woltman in the Iowa game for several minutes in the fourth quarter and played well. 5 rebounds and a couple points. She’s faster than RW and seems a bit more energetic.

The FS1 stat board just showed Purdue 13-30 from 3 in the first half.

For 32 points.

Ali Patberg is still playing? Wasn't she Miss Basketball in like 2014?
Wow. So I looked this up and I was off but only by 1 year. She was 2015. Just to demonstrate how ridiculous it is that she is still playing. Jackie Young was Miss Basketball the year AFTER Patberg and she was the #1 pick of the 2019 WNBA draft.

When you have a really good chance to beat your instate rival and the #6 team in the country in regulation you just can not let them take you to overtime. You just can't. Terrible loss. BoilerUp. Brave effort and freshman Ava Learn is the future and a bright one at that, but that's a game Purdue should have won. Sad!

Last edited:
Reactions: boiler44
Too much celebration after taking that 5-point lead. Game was a long way from over. Bad karma and loss of focus.

Reactions: DavidBoiler
Little bit of lost focus toward the end, forcing things and out of sorts. But credit IU defense for alot of that.
good game, didn’t expect to win and the fact that Purdue had a (great) chance was a pleasant surprise.

Reactions: DocRon
Heck of a game! Lots of ups and downs but unfortunately it ended on a down. Still plenty to build upon. They had the #6 team in the country on the ropes.....a missed free throw away from beating them.

The crowd was amazing....looked like it may have been a sellout.

Ava Learn had her coming out party. Looks like she's a player. With her and Jayla Smith that's a great pair of Freshmen for the future.

Looking forward to the rematch in a couple weeks!

Tough loss. They had it everything but won but the late turnover cost them. A win there probably puts them on the right side of the bubble for the NCAA tournament too.

We'll see what this team is made of now. They can't let this game linger.

Wow, I don't think I've been prouder of a Purdue team in a loss. Too bad for Ellis as she normally makes all her fts. And that turnover was crucial. But these ladies played as hard as they could and could have beaten the number 6 team. Yes, Indiana had their leading scorer and another starter out, but we had no Kyle to counter-act their inside game. But one of the great things of this game was Learn. We definitely have another excellent player. We must be patient. KG will have this team competitive for the BT top in due time.
Plus so nice to see that big crowd!!

13-2 (5-0)

Have won 8 in a row and both losses on the season were to two other top ten teams. We have our work cut out for us. They aren't deep, particularly with their top scorer out, and only played 6 in their win over Nebraska on Thursday night. Of course, we're down a couple of key pieces also with Kyle and Smith out.
Your have to be impressed with he play of Ava Learn in her first meaningful minutes. Interesting that she is listed as a guard on the roster but she pretty much held her own down in the paint.

Your have to be impressed with he play of Ava Learn in her first meaningful minutes. Interesting that she is listed as a guard on the roster but she pretty much held her own down in the paint.
I remember when I put together the roster thread at the beginning of the season I looked at her junior year averages (because Covid more or less ruined her senior year) and saw she averaged 11 rebounds and 4 blocks a game as a junior and that kind of changed my perception of what I thought she might be like as a player. Now that they we've seen her play I believe her play is supporting that change in perception.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT