ADVERTISEMENT

Game notes for Sun exh game with Ashland at 2pm.

boilerman101

True Freshman
Nov 11, 2011
Everybody seems starved for WBB info. Here's a couple things I found on the website.

Ashland has been 104-3 over the last 3yrs in Div2. They were 37-0 and won national title in 2017. This could get interesting. They have a new coach, because the old one went to Div1.

Game notes:
https://purduesports.com/documents/2018/11/2/181104_Ashland_Notes.pdf

Some more stuff with probable starters:
https://purduesports.com/news/2018/11/2/womens-basketball-lets-get-things-started.aspx

I plan to watch on BTN+. Bought it for the MBB. Might as well use it for the WBB, too.

Last edited:
Pretty sad that I had to go to Ashland’s webpage to see the score. Nothing in Purdue’s pages yet.

Purdue held a substantial lead throughout and this 6 minute spread came after putting in a lot of first time players. As soon as Versyp put in her regulars, they extended the lead. Ashland is Div II but won every game but one last year and had a ton of experience and is very well coached. No way to tell much about the Boiler's season from this game. Ball State will be a bigger test.
Observations as I step into the role of reporter in the absence of GBI: :)
--MCGlauglin is the real deal and can shoot as well as any we've had in a while. She will be double teamed tho.
--So is Harris and her effectiveness will only be known when we see if any of the new bigs help. In the BT she will be killed by big front lines. Versyp has brought in a few new bigs, but that is all they are. They are athletic and can rebound, but they missed every one of about 7 point blank shots. Good that they got in position to get the open shots, bad that they missed them all. Lay up drills are in order.
--Oden also is very good and near the end she just drove several times and took it to the basket at will.
--Beyond that you just have a whole lot of development. Traylor looked the best of the frosh and looks like she will be very good. Hardin started and has a long way to go and Traylor replaced her and had most of the remaining minutes. Farquar is a good player who does a lot of things.
--It is impossible, as I said, to project what this team will do. Too many variables. But they could wind up in the middle of the BT and maybe the NIT again.
--Next year IF they don't lose a bunch of players again, they could vie for the top 5 in BT and go to the Dance due to the vast amount of experience, but, as I said, the development of other bigs to help Harris is the key.
Any pretension of this program being a national player is a complete pipe dream. Winning more than losing in the BT is it's ceiling. Maybe I am wrong, but don't think so,
--For an exhibition game, the crowd was not terrible, but I am used to seeing no one in the stands here at Illinois.

They'll be a borderline NCAA team this year, 4-6th in the Big Ten, next year will be better, however, this year should be better than last.

Reactions: DocRon
Purdue held a substantial lead throughout and this 6 minute spread came after putting in a lot of first time players. As soon as Versyp put in her regulars, they extended the lead. Ashland is Div II but won every game but one last year and had a ton of experience and is very well coached. No way to tell much about the Boiler's season from this game. Ball State will be a bigger test.
Observations as I step into the role of reporter in the absence of GBI: :)
--MCGlauglin is the real deal and can shoot as well as any we've had in a while. She will be double teamed tho.
--So is Harris and her effectiveness will only be known when we see if any of the new bigs help. In the BT she will be killed by big front lines. Versyp has brought in a few new bigs, but that is all they are. They are athletic and can rebound, but they missed every one of about 7 point blank shots. Good that they got in position to get the open shots, bad that they missed them all. Lay up drills are in order.
--Oden also is very good and near the end she just drove several times and took it to the basket at will.
--Beyond that you just have a whole lot of development. Traylor looked the best of the frosh and looks like she will be very good. Hardin started and has a long way to go and Traylor replaced her and had most of the remaining minutes. Farquar is a good player who does a lot of things.
--It is impossible, as I said, to project what this team will do. Too many variables. But they could wind up in the middle of the BT and maybe the NIT again.
--Next year IF they don't lose a bunch of players again, they could vie for the top 5 in BT and go to the Dance due to the vast amount of experience, but, as I said, the development of other bigs to help Harris is the key.
Any pretension of this program being a national player is a complete pipe dream. Winning more than losing in the BT is it's ceiling. Maybe I am wrong, but don't think so,
--For an exhibition game, the crowd was not terrible, but I am used to seeing no one in the stands here at Illinois.

Size of band almost as big as the crowd for the game! :)

Size of band almost as big as the crowd for the game! :)
The band had a large contingent, along with The Gold Mine student section taking up several lower bowl sections. But to say they even came close to equaling the crowd size is pure exaggeration.

And, after all, it was an EXHIBITION game for which actual game prices were charged.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT