ADVERTISEMENT

Game 1 at Ross Ade

Dec 14, 2023
Game 1 at Ross Ade about to start against Indiana State.

What would you like to see happen in this game, personnel wise, scheme wise, position wise.. etc?

Without the obvious answers like, “No injuries”, “run up the score”.

1. Can the receivers get separation?
2. Can we get to the quarterback?

Obviously what we see against Indiana State won't mean we will see that against better teams. But if we DON'T see it against Indiana State.....

1. Can the receivers get separation?
2. Can we get to the quarterback?

Obviously what we see against Indiana State won't mean we will see that against better teams. But if we DON'T see it against Indiana State.....

I do not know much about Indiana State.

Before knocking Indiana State D, let me remind you, Jesse Minter used to coach defense at Indiana State.

jk

Crowd looked awesome on TV!

A lot of guys played. Nobody got hurt.

Card looked sharp, used a lot of receivers. Crazy Legs/Reggie Love/Elijah Jackson looks like a promising backfield. Max Klare had a nice game. Drew Biber needs to hang onto the ball.

The D dominated an FCS offense but did give up the edge to ISU's quarterback on several occasions.

The kicking game wasn't called on to do a lot. Purdue did have a handful of quality returns. Crimmins did well with limited opportunities.

The penalties were frustrating, but most seemed to come in two big chunks---the last 5 minutes of the first half and late in the 4th quarter when there was a lot of subbing. I agreed with the announcer that the second hold late in the 1st half looked questionable and the false start a few plays later looked just plain wrong. Some of those 2nd string guys better clean it up if they want to play more.

Solid win against an out-matched opponent. It gets a lot tougher in two weeks.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Good start against a lesser opponent. Card and receivers looked really good. Defense looked good. I don't like Card running, especially in a game like this. I don't like Thieneman returning punts....at all. I think there is a pretty big drop off after Card. He needs to stay healthy.

Good start against a lesser opponent. Card and receivers looked really good. Defense looked good. I don't like Card running, especially in a game like this. I don't like Thieneman returning punts....at all. I think there is a pretty big drop off after Card. He needs to stay healthy.
Card needs to show that he can the side of a barn past 30 yards quick. For his future prospects. I am in full agreement with Scroogeboiler (pboiler) there

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
Was it pretty full
the top right corner of the student section was fairly bare, but not much, maybe 250 seats. Scattered empty areas in the north end zone but not like big chunks of seats. After halftime it was pretty light.

To me it looked farther out in front of Edrine that it needed to be. Regardless, card was one of the worst QBs past 30 in division one this past season
Maybe a tick? Neubert thinks Edrine lost it in the sun. I tend to agree.

I’m guessing Cards injury impacted him quite a bit last year. He balled when healthy. Also, QB’s are better in year two in a system.

To me it looked farther out in front of Edrine that it needed to be. Regardless, card was one of the worst QBs past 30 in division one this past season
It might be a negative but it’s a fact. People on here do t want to admit the negatives.

I think Card is a GOOD QB. Give him time and weapons and he can win you games. The deep ball is a glaring hole in his arsenal. At the end of the day that doesn’t mean he can’t improve or figure something out there.

As I said in a different thread, if he does we could be pretty good

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
It might be a negative but it’s a fact. People on here do t want to admit the negatives.

I think Card is a GOOD QB. Give him time and weapons and he can win you games. The deep ball is a glaring hole in his arsenal. At the end of the day that doesn’t mean he can’t improve or figure something out there.

As I said in a different thread, if he does we could be pretty good
Just like you don’t want to admit Walter’s inherited a rebuild?

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

I’m guessing Cards injury impacted him quite a bit last year. He balled when healthy. Also, QB’s are better in year two in a system.
I don’t expect card to be Oconnell from an accuracy standpoint, but you could have woken Oconnell up with Icewater to the face at 3 am and he could have jumped up and hit that pass on the money relatively easily. I think Jack Plummer could have hit that one too.

I don’t expect card to be Oconnell from an accuracy standpoint, but you could have woken Oconnell up with Icewater to the face at 3 am and he could have jumped up and hit that pass on the money relatively easily. I think Jack Plummer could have hit that one too.
Plummer would never have let it develop that long and then not thrown it because he wasn’t 30 yards open. Card is probably a top 5 QB in the big ten. Perfect? No, but very solid.

Plummer would never have let it develop that long and then not thrown it because he wasn’t 30 yards open. Card is probably a top 5 QB in the big ten. Perfect? No, but very solid.
I like him, but he could be better past 30. Teams who aren’t ISU will dare him to.

Wait. What are you guy’s complaining about?
The only pass that Card did not complete? That is what you are complaining about.

OConnell? Making that throw? What was his percentage in 2021 when Purdue played Indiana State? Was it better than 96%?

We have a really accurate QB in Card and he showed what he can do when the line holds up.
Our receivers were catching everything. No dumb dropped balls.

You guys are just looking for excuses to discount this team.
Card can throw the deep ball. How deep was the pass to Leland Smith.

Any issues with the other 24 completions?

The only pass that Card did not complete? That is what you are complaining about.

OConnell? Making that throw? What was his percentage in 2021 when Purdue played Indiana State? Was it better than 96%?

We have a really accurate QB in Card and he showed what he can do when the line holds up.

I want Walters to do well. When we aren’t playing ISU teams are going to give card one on one deep throws.

Also Jenkins at MLB is a terrible idea and the front 7 actually almost unanimously got bad tackle grades per pff. Everything else was ideal

Neither of us are complaining

I want Walters to do well. When we aren’t playing ISU teams are going to give card one on one deep throws.

Also Jenkins at MLB is a terrible idea and the front 7 actually almost unanimously got bad tackle grades per pff. Everything else was ideal
Ya. I hope Jenkins gets faster after one game in that position. Idk who else they have though. Yanni then…. Maybe they can grab some of that LB talent Brohm left from his 8-4 team

The Indiana State game should be treated as a scrimmage game. Card and the receivers were near flawless. Purdue did what they were supposed to do.

CRW has two weeks to assess and get things corrected. You did not see the whole playbook here. We had true freshman playing for his first time at corner.

We will have Corey Stewart, CJ Smith and Nyland Green back for Norte Dame game.

Can not believe you guys are complaining that Purdue did what they were supposed to do to Indiana State. Did you guys predict a 49-0 win last week?

I think some of you are just mad that Purdue did not fall apart.

The Indiana State game should be treated as a scrimmage game. Card and the receivers were near flawless. Purdue did what they were supposed to do.

CRW has two weeks to assess and get things corrected. You did not see the whole playbook here. We had true freshman playing for his first time at corner.

Can not believe you guys are complaining that Purdue did what they were supposed to do to Indiana State. Did you guys predict a 49-0 win last week?

We can’t discuss the game, both good and bad?

Reactions: pboiler18
We can’t discuss the game, both good and bad?

There was a lot of discussion on whether our receiving room is any good. They did not look bad.
Going to enjoy this for a little bit.

Discuss away. I will check in with you guys in a couple weeks.

There was a lot of discussion on whether our receiving room is any good. They did not look bad.
Going to enjoy this for a little bit.

Discuss away. I will check in with you guys in a couple weeks.
Oh. They were good. Wasn’t knocking them at all.

Ya. I hope Jenkins gets faster after one game in that position. Idk who else they have though. Yanni then…. Maybe they can grab some of that LB talent Brohm left from his 8-4 team
I’m no fan of Brohm’s late recruitment efforts,

I think it’s a bad idea and Purdue needed to buy a middle linebacker. Jenkins is not that. If Walters didn’t realize that and buy one, he’s either engaging in bad ideas or didn’t have the money to spend. Both are bad.

I didn’t say anything about the corners or OL. Grant was fine. So was the entire OL.

Complaining that almost the entire front 7 had terrible tackling grades against freaking ISU is legitimate

I’m no fan of Brohm’s late recruitment efforts,

I think it’s a bad idea and Purdue needed to buy a middle linebacker. Jenkins is not that. If Walters didn’t realize that and buy one, he’s either engaging in bad ideas or didn’t have the money to spend. Both are bad.
My Brohm comment was sarcasm. Idk if Walter’s chased a portal one of not. He’s grabbed one in every class. Tough place to place for a true freshman though. I’m thinking Jenkins will be fine. Not out on him yet.

Looks like Edrine should have at least dove (if he didn't lose it in the sun).

Edrine reminds me of Terrell Owens. Absolute monster at wr.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT