ADVERTISEMENT

Future of Purdue-ND series

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Purdue and Notre Dame, after 7 years off the schedule, will meet again this Saturday, then take 2 more years off, and then are scheduled to meet again 5 consecutive years between 2024-2028. Of course this is after meeting every season from 1946-2014.

My question is what is the probability that all 5 of those games between 2024-2028 are actually played, and what does the future beyond 2028 hold for this series?

With the ever-changing college football landscape, conference alignments, media deals, expanding CFP there are so many variables it is very difficult to predict where this series fits in, even in the near term. It would not surprise me in the least if ND pulled the plug on the series, maybe even before 2024, perhaps in a coordinated move to align with the ACC again.

Personally, I hope the series continues. I'm not sure how you put a dollar value on tradition and regional rivalries, but those do seem to be important elements in what has made college football popular over the years. Financial backing is extremely important, but I fear that if every decision is driven only by near term financial gain, CFB will someday become just a minor league version of the NFL with minor league fan interest instead of having its own unique niche. CFB leaders need to embrace the things that set this sport apart and give its identity, including preserving amateur status and traditional rivalries.

In all honesty, I could not care less if it continues or not. From the arrogant dickhead subway alums who congregate here pregame, to Purdue’s confounding inability over the years to expose these poseurs on the field— the doma series is WAAAY more trouble than it’s worth, IMO.
Everything about this series has always been arranged to favor nd, and beyond a nice attendance number on those occasions when the domaz can be bothered to make the trip down Route 231, I don’t see what Purdue gets from this relationship…..

It would be great to continue the series, but with the BT/Pac 12/ACC collaboration now; it is going to make it hard for this series to continue after the current contract ends.
I have a feeling that the collaboration helps force ND to join up with someone because they might find scheduling teams they want more difficult.

In all honesty, I could not care less if it continues or not. From the arrogant dickhead subway alums who congregate here pregame, to Purdue’s confounding inability over the years to expose these poseurs on the field— the doma series is WAAAY more trouble than it’s worth, IMO.
Everything about this series has always been arranged to favor nd, and beyond a nice attendance number on those occasions when the domaz can be bothered to make the trip down Route 231, I don’t see what Purdue gets from this relationship…..
Screw these guys:

Reactions: RossMackey
It would be great to continue the series, but with the BT/Pac 12/ACC collaboration now; it is going to make it hard for this series to continue after the current contract ends.
ND is considered part of the Alliance - via the ACC. What you said is untrue.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZVZ
ADVERTISEMENT