ADVERTISEMENT

Furst

BoilerNGold013

True Freshman
Oct 26, 2014
Big shout out to Caleb. When Duke went zone in the 2nd half, Furst got some timely offensive rebounds and put backs/FT's along with a sweet 15 ft baseline shot. He settled the team down and kept Duke from getting any closer than 7 pts and weather through a dry spell mid way through the 2nd half.

Also did a great job being a pressure relief valve in the 2nd half when Duke started pressing. AND he was also instrumental in containing their mobile 7 footer.

I think we really saw the rebounding potential of the team when Edey and Furst are out there together. Brutal for other teams to fight with them for Off/Def boards for an extended amount of time.

Also I can't forget Gillis. He hit big shot after big shot against Zaga and hit a big one tonight. But the size and flow of the game called for more minutes for Furst down the stretch.

Big shout out to Caleb. When Duke went zone in the 2nd half, Furst got some timely offensive rebounds and put backs/FT's along with a sweet 15 ft baseline shot. He settled the team down and kept Duke from getting any closer than 7 pts and weather through a dry spell mid way through the 2nd half.

Also did a great job being a pressure relief valve in the 2nd half when Duke started pressing. AND he was also instrumental in containing their mobile 7 footer.

I think we really saw the rebounding potential of the team when Edey and Furst are out there together. Brutal for other teams to fight with them for Off/Def boards for an extended amount of time.

Also I can't forget Gillis. He hit big shot after big shot against Zaga and hit a big one tonight. But the size and flow of the game called for more minutes for Furst down the stretch.
Very good points. Folks here have argued how many minutes each person should get and the lineups. It really should be matchup driven and painter showcased our depth and his ability to put lineups in under different circumstances.

Very good points. Folks here have argued how many minutes each person should get and the lineups. It really should be matchup driven and painter showcased our depth and his ability to put lineups in under different circumstances.

Yep CMP has been brilliant with his sub patterns making it work for Purdue as a team.

Last edited:

Now wait a minute. I was told Gillis was the tough guy. How could Furst grab that many rebounds in limited minutes?.

tic

Reactions: Zaphod_B
This team is hitting on all eight cylinders right now. I really hope they can sustain the effort (they seem far more defensively sound than last year's team, so that is a plus). For a "down year" the team is off to an incredible start.

Think it was Bilas who said it on the telecast about Purdue being a team with guys more concerned about winning than their individual stat line. Furst is a prime example, going from starting last year to being a key sixth man.

I see no need to limit or shorten the rotation to 7/8 guys like we hear about the need for each year. Currently ten guys working hard for this team.....and so far results are great.

I see no need to limit or shorten the rotation to 7/8 guys like we hear about the need for each year. Currently ten guys working hard for this team.....and so far results are great.
I agree. One thing that’s impressed me is how the tenth man, Waddell, has managed to get into the flow and be productive with very limited minutes.

I agree. One thing that’s impressed me is how the tenth man, Waddell, has managed to get into the flow and be productive with very limited minutes.

and if you listen enough to Matt Painter - production is a huge key with him. And, he acknowledges often how tough it is for the guys who really don't get a lot of minutes to be able to have the luxury of time to get into the rhythm of the game. Yet, the expectation is to be productive. You're seeing it in some form with all of the bench players so far, but I like what I've seen from BW in limited minutes.

Furst is a much better athlete than he gets credit for. His quick off the floor, has a good knack for the ball rebounding, good awareness on the offensive end. He's a nice change of pace from Edey as Furst can get out on the break and force other bigs to cover the 3 pt line.

Furst is a much better athlete than he gets credit for. His quick off the floor, has a good knack for the ball rebounding, good awareness on the offensive end. He's a nice change of pace from Edey as Furst can get out on the break and force other bigs to cover the 3 pt line.

He and Trey Kaufman-Renn are building something for the future.....going to take some patience, but they will provide an extra dimension down the line in their careers - we'll see how much it develops into keys this year. JMHO

He and Trey Kaufman-Renn are building something for the future.....going to take some patience, but they will provide an extra dimension down the line in their careers - we'll see how much it develops into keys this year. JMHO
When Zack leaves: (1) Our rivals will say, "Nice run but the big guy is gone", (2) Renn and Furst are going to be the dynamic duo and surprise the hell out of everyone, (3) Meet Mr. Berg :).

And soon enough he may have a Rock with him..
LoL

giphy.gif

In all seriousness with respect to Zach Edey - he'd have two years of eligibility left after this year with the COVID-19 rule. Hadn't really focused on it, but if he stayed, he could possibly challenge the top end of Purdue's all-time scoring list. Don't think he'll end up using all of his eligibility, and it's pure speculation on my part (naturally) and you never know what might happen......ok.....back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
That is something to think about, esp with NIL money he would get.
If a decent amount, leaving early may not be so attractive.
He can still improve his game, esp only been playing six years of organized BB,\.

If given a guaranteed blockbuster, the answer is simple.

Whatever, Boiler Up and In Painter we trust!!

Reactions: tenwest
He certainly is bouncy. It seems to me that Furst, Smith, and Newman may be the best athletes on the team. I haven’t seen Heide, but I hear that he might be more athletic than any of them. There are no Jaden Iveys on this team, though Colvin might be close next year.

He’s getting a tremendous amount of publicity right now.

But then I thought Matt Garza did too back in his day and I don’t think he even got drafted.
Exactly...I wouldn't be shocked either way if he stays or goes, but based on the current trend of 'bigs' in the NBA, I would think Zach could benefit from finishing up his tenure at Purdue as an athlete and student...unlike a player like Ivey.

Reactions: tenwest
In all seriousness with respect to Zach Edey - he'd have two years of eligibility left after this year with the COVID-19 rule. Hadn't really focused on it, but if he stayed, he could possibly challenge the top end of Purdue's all-time scoring list. Don't think he'll end up using all of his eligibility, and it's pure speculation on my part (naturally) and you never know what might happen......ok.....back to your regularly scheduled programming.
If the NIL money is good, there is no reason to leave unless he's guaranteed to be a 1st round pick.

Reactions: boiler800
ADVERTISEMENT