ADVERTISEMENT

Fun while it lasted.

oh.... ok?
Phil Knight = controlling interest and former owner of Nike. He put well over $300M into Oregon University and has an elevator from his personal stadium box to the Football locker room and has access pre-game, halftime and post game. That has been documented and published before.
We think John Ruiz NIL deal with Nigel Pack was bad. It would be laughable for Phil Knight. He could buy the whole football team roster at $800k per person if he chose to.

Collins has been getting offers since he "committed". Really nothing new here. If anything, speaks volumes of how sought-after he is, which is a rather good thing.

Collins has been getting offers since he "committed". Really nothing new here. If anything, speaks volumes of how sought-after he is, which is a rather good thing.
I am glad that you added the quotes for committed...not sure why he committed to begin with in that it was obviously a very soft verbal, and, no idea why he has not de-committed in that he seems to have a casual interest at best in actually playing at/for Purdue.

Rickie Collins courted by Oregon Ducks. If Phil Knight is behind this, he’s gone!!!
Ok but say he signs? So what? It isn’t the victory it once was. It’s 4-5 years of him or anyone else on the team being able to cash in a one time chip to get big money. I wouldn’t even follow signing day/recruiting you’ll go nuts. Wait till the smoke clears and when guys show up just be like “yay, they’re ‘here’”

say this kid comes here and becomes as good of a QB as Oconnell was last year. What’s it gonna cost to keep him each year? Millions?

I’m ready to just watch who we have until I probably end up checking out in 2-3 years when all these idiots are done killing the goose who laid the golden egg

Ok but say he signs? So what? It isn’t the victory it once was. It’s 4-5 years of him or anyone else on the team being able to cash in a one time chip to get big money. I wouldn’t even follow signing day/recruiting you’ll go nuts. Wait till the smoke clears and when guys show up just be like “yay, they’re ‘here’”

say this kid comes here and becomes as good of a QB as Oconnell was last year. What’s it gonna cost to keep him each year? Millions?

I’m ready to just watch who we have until I probably end up checking out in 2-3 years when all these idiots are done killing the goose who laid the golden egg
I agree with pretty much all of this, except I think Purdue/Brohm/MB/JPC would figure out a way to keep a superstar QB here for 3 years.

Reactions: bonefish1
I agree with pretty much all of this, except I think Purdue/Brohm/MB/JPC would figure out a way to keep a superstar QB here for 3 years.
I mean.. this is not Logical all this stuff with NIL. So.. you have people here acting like there needs to be ROI. There doesn’t. Suspend disbelief cause it’s gonna be gross.

to your point.. it depends. Great for the NFL future and development to play for brohm. I never saw David Blough making it in the league early on.. so. But you’re asking a kid who really shows out on a national level to maybe turn down 2-3 million or more when the Purdue scape might be offering a fraction of that.

What would rondale moore have been offered after his freshman year if his freshman year was next season? Probably in the Addison range.

I certainly HOPE you and pboiler are right on many levels

And the other thing.. say Collins was a star in his RS Fr. year. He wants 1 million not to transfer and Purdue donors find it. Guess what? If he’s even better in year 3, he still has that one time token…

I mean.. this is not Logical all this stuff with NIL. So.. you have people here acting like there needs to be ROI. There doesn’t. Suspend disbelief cause it’s gonna be gross.

to your point.. it depends. Great for the NFL future and development to play for brohm. I never saw David Blough making it in the league early on.. so. But you’re asking a kid who really shows out on a national level to maybe turn down 2-3 million or more when the Purdue scape might be offering a fraction of that.

What would rondale moore have been offered after his freshman year if his freshman year was next season? Probably in the Addison range.

I think getting a verbal from a 4* QB probably helps with recruiting the rest of the class (other than QB). So even if and when he pulls out you've got some talented first and second year players to sprinkle in with your experienced 4th and 5th year seniors and walk-on QB, the ones who didn't make the jump to the NIL portal or draft.

• Love
Reactions: BCfanatic2020
And the other thing.. say Collins was a star in his RS Fr. year. He wants 1 million not to transfer and Purdue donors find it. Guess what? If he’s even better in year 3, he still has that one time token…
If he’s that good in year 3, he’s going pro.

I just think the powers that be would figure out a way to make a competitive offer for a superstar QB. I’m talking Brees level, not Blough or AOC.

I think getting a verbal from a 4* QB probably helps with recruiting the rest of the class (other than QB). So even if and when he pulls out you've got some talented first and second year players to sprinkle in with your experienced 4th and 5th year seniors and walk-on QB, the ones who didn't make the jump to the NIL portal or draft.
I get that aspect .. it helps the rest of the class but with that particular guy I’m not gonna be locked in like I was with David bell

If he’s that good in year 3, he’s going pro.

I just think the powers that be would figure out a way to make a competitive offer for a superstar QB. I’m talking Brees level, not Blough or AOC.
But you know what I’m saying.. eventually a schools boosters are gonna pay a player to stay only to be told he needs to get paid again a year later

While others may be doing this :eek:, I'll be the bystander in the back watching with no expression as this is predictable. I wonder how many coaches will burnout having to double if not triple their recruiting efforts?

Last edited:

Man BC, you really have a pessimistic outlook on all this.
Of course non of it's logical because it's completely new territory and everyone is trying to figure things out.
Purdue will learn to work in this new environment which yes, will include paying players through some NIL cooperative.
Big time college sports are and for the last 50 years, have been about money. That includes the school, coaches and now players.

The name that won't go away, Charlie Spiegal. I guess we will be talking about him for years on here like Eastern in basketball.

Speaking of a former IU running back, I hope Sampson will really put it together this year for us after having to sit out last year.
I thought it was Bade who we hashed and rehashed for about 10 years?

Reactions: pboiler18
I am glad that you added the quotes for committed...not sure why he committed to begin with in that it was obviously a very soft verbal, and, no idea why he has not de-committed in that he seems to have a casual interest at best in actually playing at/for Purdue.
I’m confused why you think it’s obviously a soft verbal? He hasn’t visited other schools since he committed to us and he’s now visiting us for the 4th time this weekend. What’s he done to make you think he’s leaving? All he’s done was post tweets about getting offers, every kid does that. I have no idea if we can keep him, but I wouldn’t write him off just because of big boy offers. He’ll put up monster numbers in our offense, and he knows it.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Recruiting coaches will whisper the new “news” into his ear. Jeff Brohm will go to Louisville after this season. True or not, they’ll be casting doubt early and often to get him to change his mind.
I would have to imagine his buyout is really high after just signing a new contract. Can’t see him leaving after this year.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Man BC, you really have a pessimistic outlook on all this.
Of course non of it's logical because it's completely new territory and everyone is trying to figure things out.
Purdue will learn to work in this new environment which yes, will include paying players through some NIL cooperative.
Big time college sports are and for the last 50 years, have been about money. That includes the school, coaches and now players.
I just see the gap widening. I don’t think Purdue is going to be this school that doesn’t pay people at all. Of course they will.

But then there are going to be the schools willing and able to go get whoever they want for 3 million and a house or 500k. I think everyone would agree we won’t be that.

What I think is up for discussion is whether we will be a school willing to defend against offers like that for anyone worth a damn in our starting 22. As an example, I don’t think Nebraska will be in that first group, but I can see them being in this one.

I don’t think the second group sounds like us. If I’m wrong, I’ll say so. I guess we will find out between the end of next season and 5/1/23.

by not logical by the way, I mean the kind of weirdos we will be up against like the life wallet guy. They’re the kind of people that I see driving the market well past where Purdue can compete.

How does one post a picture on this board? Do you have to be a paying member?

I just see the gap widening. I don’t think Purdue is going to be this school that doesn’t pay people at all. Of course they will.

But then there are going to be the schools willing and able to go get whoever they want for 3 million and a house or 500k. I think everyone would agree we won’t be that.

What I think is up for discussion is whether we will be a school willing to defend against offers like that for anyone worth a damn in our starting 22. As an example, I don’t think Nebraska will be in that first group, but I can see them being in this one.

I don’t think the second group sounds like us. If I’m wrong, I’ll say so. I guess we will find out between the end of next season and 5/1/23.

by not logical by the way, I mean the kind of weirdos we will be up against like the life wallet guy. They’re the kind of people that I see driving the market well past where Purdue can compete.

Not saying this will happen, (but it could), but what do you think Purdue athletics admin get a phone call from a Purdue grad/fan with money like the LifeWallet guy and he/she says "Hey, I want to make Purdue as competitive as possible in this NIL environment and I have the financial means to do so".

(and don't ask me who that might be because I don't know all the billionaire Purdue fans/grads out there).

Was Ruiz a major UM booster donor before NIL?

Not saying this will happen, (but it could), but what do you think Purdue athletics admin get a phone call from a Purdue grad/fan with money like the LifeWallet guy and he/she says "Hey, I want to make Purdue as competitive as possible in this NIL environment and I have the financial means to do so".

(and don't ask me who that might be because I don't know all the billionaire Purdue fans/grads out there).

Was Ruiz a major UM booster donor before NIL?
If it does that’s great. When Ruiz surfaced I asked if we had ultra wealthy alum and was told “yes, but they don’t care about sports.”

If it does that’s great. When Ruiz surfaced I asked if we had ultra wealthy alum and was told “yes, but they don’t care about sports.”
I'd be surprised if there are some ultra wealthy Purdue alum floating around out there who are also big Purdue sports fans. Now, getting them to write a check is a different story.

Reactions: BSIT
I'd be surprised if there are some ultra wealthy Purdue alum floating around out there who are also big Purdue sports fans. Now, getting them to write a check is a different story.
The thing is.. your football team is now relying on your school having graduates who like to waste money… really warped way to do it. They should just allow for some percentage of TV money to be used. But then.. Purdue would suddenly jump some pretty big time programs so that probably won’t happen

ADVERTISEMENT