ADVERTISEMENT

FSU game Positives

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Edey consistency.
Smith really imposed his will to win in half 2, crazy rebounder.
Newman played good D in half 2
Furst had a nice second half.
2nd half scoring.....our depth wore them down.
Our guards driving to the rim in H2
9 guys scoring again

Props to coach for getting them in gear after some poor basketball.

Last edited:
Edey consistency.
Smith really imposed his will to win in half 2, crazy rebounder.
Newman played good D in half 2
Furst had a nice second half.
2nd half scoring.....our depth wore them down.
Our guards driving to the rim in H2
9 guys scoring again

Props to coach for getting them in gear after some poor basketball.
Morton in a bit of a shooting funk.

As someone who used to travel coast to coast a lot, it's hard to be on point on the trip back east. I figured this would be a struggle. Congrats to the guys, get some rest.

Landed early morning Monday and then still had to fly to Tallahassee....helps them now that they got through it. Michigan State and North Carolina are experiencing a little of the same, and MSU is already short-handed.

Yup. Agree with most points here. Willed our way to a win on the backs of Smith and Edey. This is a game we lose
Last year, no doubt.

Only have to win every game by 1 to be the undefeated national champion.

Plus, some of those shots that Green was hitting early weren’t going to continue to fall. The #s always even out on that stuff and they did at the right time for us.

I agree Smith was great down the stretch last night, and his rebounding was amazing for his size, but one negative. His management of the clock at the end of the 1st half was very poor and it had Matt mad, I believe Braden got ball with 347 secs on it and took off full blast and took it towards the rim and possession ended in Turnover and game FSU the last shot of the half. He will learn that, but can't have that from your pt guard.

I agree Smith was great down the stretch last night, and his rebounding was amazing for his size, but one negative. His management of the clock at the end of the 1st half was very poor and it had Matt mad, I believe Braden got ball with 347 secs on it and took off full blast and took it towards the rim and possession ended in Turnover and game FSU the last shot of the half. He will learn that, but can't have that from your pt guard.

more than 5 minutes? :)

some of us on the game thread noted it (well - full disclosure - I went off a little)......should have settled it down for the last possession, and Painter was not happy, yes. But, you live with that with everything else and trust he learns. The other one that was frustrating was Mason Gillis wasting a great effort play near half-court to get the ball only to drive down toward the basket into the abyss of defenders and give up the ball.

On the bright side - they're trying to make things happen and being aggressive....I like the overall mindset and is much better than playing timidly, but you have to know when that's not the right play under the circumstances. Again - teachable moments.

some of us on the game thread noted it (well - full disclosure - I went off a little)......should have settled it down for the last possession, and Painter was not happy, yes. But, you live with that with everything else and trust he learns. The other one that was frustrating was Mason Gillis wasting a great effort play near half-court to get the ball only to drive down toward the basket into the abyss of defenders and give up the ball.

On the bright side - they're trying to make things happen and being aggressive....I like the overall mindset and is much better than playing timidly, but you have to know when that's not the right play under the circumstances. Again - teachable moments.
yes, exactly, I did mean 34 secs and the Gillis play set me off for a moment, but could not agree more , I love their mindset and aggressiveness, we saw the opposite from Hunter and Thompson last year.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Those of us who have been watching the Colts mismanage games all season didn’t get too worked up about Braden’s goof.

Plus, I’ll personally take the PG who goes a little too fast over the walk it up guys every single time.

Reactions: PaBoiler78
Landed early morning Monday and then still had to fly to Tallahassee....helps them now that they got through it. Michigan State and North Carolina are experiencing a little of the same, and MSU is already short-handed.

Great quote from Painter on that point:

“We didn’t talk about getting back from Oregon at 5 a.m. on Monday, we didn’t talk about arriving here (Wednesday) at 2:30 a.m. because the plane got stuck in Des Moines,” Purdue coach Matt Painter said. “We didn’t talk about those things. They’re just excuses.”

Two straight over Florida State now and Purdue finally won in that building - started to think it might be the Southern version of the Tomb.
Lol. That's exactly what I was thinking. One major difference is that the real Tomb has lots more dark, echoey corners that harbor safe havens for evil basketball demons.

Admittedly, things do seem very different with Micah there.

LOL Yea I said that wouldn't bode well for our front court. I wouldn't call me a naysayer though
I wasn't trying to call you out, Buck. I just recall lots of negative chatter all over Twitter about Smith being among the team's best rebounders. Lots of "experts" were weighing in at the time, including some yokels from down south.

In my opinion that's a great problem to have. Both he and Newman have crashed the boards with success so far. Hope they keep it up.

But wait. We have it on good authority from the naysayers that if Smith leads the team in rebounds we are in trouble. Big, big trouble.
Getting rebounds really is just a matter of being in the right place when the ball comes off the boards Curry gets 9 or 10 for G State just by being in the area and always moving around.

Or attacking the ball. I love how our guards do this. Last year I don't recall our guards being this aggressive to get rebounds.

Brandon Newman, especially, and Matt Painter has mentioned it several times.

32 rebounds in 123 minutes or 10.41 per 40......all but two of those boards are defensive.....really helps out the front court guys. He seems to now take it on as a calling card, which is nice.

bill-murray.gif

I am surprised by the Florida State win. I believe that both Purdue and UNC were set up to lose their respective games. The fact that they were playing in Portland over the weekend was well-known in advance. The fact that there would be substantial travel on Sunday/Monday from the West Coast was known. Then you had to travel to the game site on Tuesday. That was known well in advance as well.

To treat these teams fairly, in each case the visitor should have been the home team and the home team the visitor. IU and FSU did not have travel issues. IU played at home on Friday against Jackson State. Florida State played Nebraska on Sunday, but that event was in Orlando - which is hardly a far distance from Tallahassee. Having those teams travel would have made far more sense.

My only conclusion is that this was done intentionally. The plan was for both UNC and Purdue to lose; I cannot come up with a better explanation for this scheduling. It makes no common sense to do it the way that it was done. A loss to IU by UNC raises the IU profile and presumably would make them a more attractive tv candidate for future games. FSU is normally much better than they are this year. However, a win over Purdue would also raise their profile. The plan falls apart when FSU turns out to be so poor that even with the bad scheduling FSU lost.

I am surprised by the Florida State win. I believe that both Purdue and UNC were set up to lose their respective games. The fact that they were playing in Portland over the weekend was well-known in advance. The fact that there would be substantial travel on Sunday/Monday from the West Coast was known. Then you had to travel to the game site on Tuesday. That was known well in advance as well.

To treat these teams fairly, in each case the visitor should have been the home team and the home team the visitor. IU and FSU did not have travel issues. IU played at home on Friday against Jackson State. Florida State played Nebraska on Sunday, but that event was in Orlando - which is hardly a far distance from Tallahassee. Having those teams travel would have made far more sense.

My only conclusion is that this was done intentionally. The plan was for both UNC and Purdue to lose; I cannot come up with a better explanation for this scheduling. It makes no common sense to do it the way that it was done. A loss to IU by UNC raises the IU profile and presumably would make them a more attractive tv candidate for future games. FSU is normally much better than they are this year. However, a win over Purdue would also raise their profile. The plan falls apart when FSU turns out to be so poor that even with the bad scheduling FSU lost.
IDK, Purdue and North Carolina were both at home for the challenge last year while Indiana and Florida State were on the road. I'm sure that was part of the thinking. If anything, ESPN could have come up with something more innovative than the latest instalment of Purdue vs. FSU.

Just not buying into the conspiracy theory that someone out there making the schedules wanted Purdue to lose. I do get your point, but I think it was just the way the schedule fell. Remember that Painter had to agree with the set up before Purdue moved forward, so there is that. Maybe he just wanted to toughen-up his team?

Reactions: Inspector100
The point remains that having UNC and Purdue have to travel as they did makes no sense. Purdue could have traveled to ND and UNC to Maryland or OSU - both closer to their respective schools. You are correct, they could have come up with a better installment of FSU/Purdue but they did not. The question is why not? What ESPN did makes no sense given the schedules.

Just not buying into the conspiracy theory that someone out there making the schedules wanted Purdue to lose. I do get your point, but I think it was just the way the schedule fell. Remember that Painter had to agree with the set up before Purdue moved forward, so there is that. Maybe he just wanted to toughen-up his team?
Forget Purdue, what about UNC? They got screwed as well.

Does Painter have to agree or is it the B1G that has to agree with the schedule? I would think that it is a Conference decision.

Last edited:
Forget Purdue, what about UNC? They got screwed as well.

Does Painter have to agree or is it the B1G that has to agree with the schedule? I would think that it si a Conference decision.
Probably the AD's decide, but you want to bet our AD didn't check with Painter?

Last edited:
I am sure that the AD would check with Painter. My question is whether or not they checked with the AD. Since it is Conference v Conference. I suspect that decisions are made at that level. But I honestly do not know for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT