ADVERTISEMENT

For You Globalists Out There

Bruce1

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2001
Who don’t agree with Tariffs or other efforts to level the playing field this is a great read.

The highlights are that a proposed law to have on line retailers specify a country of origin is being lobbied against by Amazon and others.

The second article says that any article we ship to China valued at more than $8 will need to pay duties while on the US side due to a US Customs policy called DiMinimus products that are imported by on line sellers like Amazon are allowed to bring in items valued as high as $799 can avoid duties.

These are examples of how foreign countries find ways to get around US laws and policies designed to protect American workers. Our government is bought and paid for by foreign and US companies more interestEd in making a buck at the expense of the American people.

This crap needs to stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: guidelinesa2
It’s an interesting topic that frankly spans normal political party lines (the new laws you mentioned are being proposed by Dems).

But let’s not just put all the blame on China and the other countries … American companies like WalMart and Target have been doing this a long time (and more recently Amazon and the like) to take advantage.

The question is … will people be willing to pay $100 for an American made toaster or will they go with the $20 China made one at Walmart or Amazon? Do people in the US really want the low wage/low tech manufacturing jobs (even if they are able to raise it to something closer to live able) … i don’t think there is an easy answer.

Reactions: charlespig
It’s an interesting topic that frankly spans normal political party lines (the new laws you mentioned are being proposed by Dems).

But let’s not just put all the blame on China and the other countries … American companies like WalMart and Target have been doing this a long time (and more recently Amazon and the like) to take advantage.

The question is … will people be willing to pay $100 for an American made toaster or will they go with the $20 China made one at Walmart or Amazon? Do people in the US really want the low wage/low tech manufacturing jobs (even if they are able to raise it to something closer to live able) … i don’t think there is an easy answer.
Slap a carbon footprint sticker on everything so the environmentalist Democrats can bitch about the environment, then the hypocrites can go buy their $20 toaster made by Chinese slave labor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophie1970
Who don’t agree with Tariffs or other efforts to level the playing field this is a great read.

The highlights are that a proposed law to have on line retailers specify a country of origin is being lobbied against by Amazon and others.

The second article says that any article we ship to China valued at more than $8 will need to pay duties while on the US side due to a US Customs policy called DiMinimus products that are imported by on line sellers like Amazon are allowed to bring in items valued as high as $799 can avoid duties.

These are examples of how foreign countries find ways to get around US laws and policies designed to protect American workers. Our government is bought and paid for by foreign and US companies more interestEd in making a buck at the expense of the American people.

This crap needs to stop.

government|protectionism
is outperformed by
individuals|free-market

That’s exactly why tariffs are part of the answer. Today we are spending trillions(it is used to be billions) in tax payers $ to take care of the poor and unemployed. If we provide training and jobs we should be able to spend less on direct payments to the poor. By the way, it wouldn’t be a $100 for a toaster vs $20 from China.

That’s exactly why tariffs are part of the answer. Today we are spending trillions(it is used to be billions) in tax payers $ to take care of the poor and unemployed. If we provide training and jobs we should be able to spend less on direct payments to the poor. By the way, it wouldn’t be a $100 for a toaster vs $20 from China.
Tariffs are fine to use as short term fixes to address specific abuses, but they won’t solve the overall problem. Countries and companies will find ways around them to exploit them … ever hear of ‘factories’ in places like Grenada where they did nothing but take the labels off items and put new ones on them (that’s an extreme example … but trust me, the big companies will find a way to squeeze a buck).

The longer term question is … does America want all of that manufacturing back for the lower tech stuff (like t-shirts and shoes?). Probably not. Toasters … probably not. We probably should never want to compete for those low wage/pay jobs (at least on a massive scale).

Computers and cell phones? Probably, but that will require training and partnership, but tech companies are not dumb and will only do it if it’s a win/win.

And yeah, my $100 toaster was probably a bit hyperbolic… but what about a $20 China toaster vs a $40 US one? I’m guessing Walmart would still sell a lot more of the China ones … people in general are cheap (or frugal!)

Tariffs are fine to use as short term fixes to address specific abuses, but they won’t solve the overall problem. Countries and companies will find ways around them to exploit them … ever hear of ‘factories’ in places like Grenada where they did nothing but take the labels off items and put new ones on them (that’s an extreme example … but trust me, the big companies will find a way to squeeze a buck).

The longer term question is … does America want all of that manufacturing back for the lower tech stuff (like t-shirts and shoes?). Probably not. Toasters … probably not. We probably should never want to compete for those low wage/pay jobs (at least on a massive scale).

Computers and cell phones? Probably, but that will require training and partnership, but tech companies are not dumb and will only do it if it’s a win/win.

And yeah, my $100 toaster was probably a bit hyperbolic… but what about a $20 China toaster vs a $40 US one? I’m guessing Walmart would still sell a lot more of the China ones … people in general are cheap (or frugal!)
Tariffs are not short term solutions. Other countries have used them against us for decades. True, loopholes will always exist but can be managed. Our Gov has never had a consistent policy of maintaining a level playing field for the American worker. To the contrary, our Gov has used the export of good paying American jobs as a diplomatic tool. Intentions were good but unintended consequences were much worse than anyone predicted. Yes, Americans will pay more if they understand what is happening. Finally, your point about companies employing “low tech” jobs being undesirable is incorrect. Factories employing lower skilled production people also employ a lot of high skilled, high pay people both directly and indirectly.

Reactions: SKYDOG

I wouldnt mind paying 100 for a toaster because its something ypu should only ever need to buy once, and our people would have jobs and pride.

Tariffs are not short term solutions. Other countries have used them against us for decades. True, loopholes will always exist but can be managed. Our Gov has never had a consistent policy of maintaining a level playing field for the American worker. To the contrary, our Gov has used the export of good paying American jobs as a diplomatic tool. Intentions were good but unintended consequences were much worse than anyone predicted. Yes, Americans will pay more if they understand what is happening. Finally, your point about companies employing “low tech” jobs being undesirable is incorrect. Factories employing lower skilled production people also employ a lot of high skilled, high pay people both directly and indirectly.
All Tariffs do is artificially inflate prices. Yes, they can be used to ‘level’ the playing field, but in the end, it’s an artificial barrier that adds no value.

I disagree on the # of high paying jobs at those low tech factories. Yes, you need some engineers and managers to run the place, but low tech manufacturing jobs are not going to help the US.

We already have more jobs available than people who want them (yes, i understand the current situation due to the extended unemployment … but even after that is over, we will still have plenty of lower end jobs available). The service industry jobs (retail, fast food, bartenders, waiters, etc) should always have an ample supply of jobs for those with no skills. We don’t need to sew t-shirts and jeans in US factories.

We need to find ways to train more people for jobs that pay better.

All Tariffs do is artificially inflate prices. Yes, they can be used to ‘level’ the playing field, but in the end, it’s an artificial barrier that adds no value.

I disagree on the # of high paying jobs at those low tech factories. Yes, you need some engineers and managers to run the place, but low tech manufacturing jobs are not going to help the US.

We already have more jobs available than people who want them (yes, i understand the current situation due to the extended unemployment … but even after that is over, we will still have plenty of lower end jobs available). The service industry jobs (retail, fast food, bartenders, waiters, etc) should always have an ample supply of jobs for those with no skills. We don’t need to sew t-shirts and jeans in US factories.

We need to find ways to train more people for jobs that pay better.
Here’s a few job functions that are needed:

managers
supervisors
engineers
quality techniciana
maintenance mechanics, electricians
tool makers
HR
Accounting people
purchasing
warehouse
shipping

In addition, there is economic stimulation for support activities needed for the factories. Try reading this.

In addition to all of the jobs, that are real, there is also the issue of national security. Trying to determine which jobs are critical to national security is very elusive.
There is also a significant positive impact on the environment when jobs are here. I’m sure you know how much more China is polluting than we are and they and still building coal plants. Actually, as I am typing this I am looking at the set up for VP Harris to address us from Mexico City. There is so much pollution there it looks like the London fog. SMH

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT